FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hymmnos

New to Affliction: Need Help with Stats and Mechanics

2 Part Post

Part 1

So, I've played destruction up until VERY recently and I'v always wanted to give affliction a whirl as I really fell in love with the concept of using DoTs. Now that I'm a higher ilvl, I want to give it a go. I asked Mr. Robot what to reforge into from destro -> aff and it wants me to just gem and reforge haste out the wazoo. 

Battle.net Character Page

I'm sitting at around 17k haste and 11k mastery and I've been thinking whether I should be having more mastery. This is my first time really giving affliction a try so I don't know if Mr. Robot is incorrect in telling me to get ALL THE HASTE.

Ask Mr. Robot

Would anyone please comment or suggest things I could do to improve myself regarding stats?

Part 2

As I've said before, I'm relatively new to raiding with affliction and besides the stats, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with mechanics. I queued up for LFR2 and recorded the Iron Juggernaut battle.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FQBAXH3N4jpk62Cm

Please excuse the late doomguard... I thought LFR might actually lust at 20.

If anyone would please give me any kind of tips or suggestions to help play affliction, I would really appreciate it. 

Edit: Tons of logs
From our alt run. Forgot to turn on log from start so no H Immersius or Norushen
I switched between aff and destro to whatever I felt more comfortable with. Any suggestions / critique / comments are welcome.
I've also now reforged to better play destro since I'm doing that for a few fights still. 15.5k haste and 12.5k mastery while affliction. Haste goes down to 13.5k when I switch to KTT because BBoY is just too good.

Edit 2: Questions:
Scenario: It's the opener and you get all your procs and empower your dots. As your dots are timing out, is it better to refresh them and get the pandemic bonus or is it better to let it fully tick in its empowered state?

Edited by Hymmnos

For single target, AMR is correct in telling you to reforge for Haste, however in multi target situations Mastery tends to win out.

If you go to the AMR page and click on the stat priority, it will offer a drop down menu to select a Mastery based reforge.

Remember that AMR does not calculate the best set up for your character individually, but rather reforges everyone the same in accordance with a predetermined set of stat weights. You need to tell it what you want, effectively.

Back on topic, the main reason Mastery is favoured is due to the nature of SoO having so many fights with multiple targets. This is further reinforced by many people off ir main speccing Destruction, where Mastery is far and away the most desired stat.

I can't look at logs properly on my phone, so can take a look later this evening.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aNamelessHenchman
      Hi Everyone,

Returning to D3 after an absence.
      Trying to figure out the best desired stat rolls for items as per the guides, have always struggled with this.
      Am deciding to play DH Shadow Impale build this season 25. For example:

The Compass Rose
      1. Socket
      2. Critical Hit Chance
      3. Critical Hit Damage
      4. Area Damage or Attack Speed
      So am I looking for a ring rolled with all these stats? Because most of the time it will roll with Dexterity. So wouldn't it be unlikely that I would find such a ring? 
      If I had one with say Dex,CHD,socket and Attack speed    -     should I reroll Dex into CHC? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Ancients? (as the ancient would have possible higher Dex but not higher CHC)
      What if CHD was really low and Dex was really high? What if overall damage goes down because I re-roll Dex?
      I'm confused. Just trying to figure out how to decide between 2 items.
      EG: I have 2 Convention of Elements
      Priorities are:
      1. Socket
      2. Critical Hit Chance
      3. Critical Hit Damage
      4. Area Damage or Attack Speed
      Ring A (Ancient):                Ring B (non-Ancient):
      +618 Dexterity                     +473 Dexterity
      CHD : + 46% (rolled)            + 49% (rolled)
      CHC: + 4.5%                           +5.0%
      Socket                                     Socket
      The game shows no difference in damage but minus in toughness and recovery on Ring B (must be secondary stats)

Which Ring is better? (should I choose?)
      Thanks for any explanation of this. Especially @Deadset

• By Reicha7
      So the stat priority page of the guide ranks haste much higher than strength but the consumables guide recommends the feast for strength even though the haste food offers more haste which should make it the better choice surely?
      Hoping someone more aware of the theorycrafting to clear that up for me.

This mainly applies for raiding by the way but if there is a different answer for M+ I am interested to know the answer there.
    • By teebling
      Hey IV, I made a simple stats calculator stats calculator for wow classic in javascript.
      You select a class, then enter values into the fields for Stamina, Strength, Agility, Intellect and Spirit. As you type it updates the results which show you useful information based on what stats you entered - like dodge, and crit percentages, class-specific statistics like Ranged AP for Hunters and block for Druids in bear form etc. 
      Hopefully people find this useful for comparing item benefits and racial starting stats, or for learning how base stats affect different classes in Classic. Did you know for example that Shamans can build Block with Str items?
      I didn’t just post here to show this off - I need some help with calculating Spirit. Some users have commented that Spirit health/mana regen values are too high for various classes (for example Paladins) and was wondering if anyone here had some more information on this!
      Your boy teeb
    • By lChronosl
      Do we have any official statement on whether physical armor reduces non heroic damage, such as minions, mercs, monsters and structures? I tested it on the trial grounds, but since non-heroic damage numbers won't show up when the player character is hit, I was unsure. It seems to me it does, but can anyone confirm this, or link some resource?
    • By Decembersnow
      I D E N T I T Y
      [H] <The Resilient> is a 8/11 M raiding guild on Area-52. We are looking for strong ranged raiders to fill in a couple spots for people who have had life interrupt their gaming fun. We are a laid back group of mature adult nerds who are focused on clearing Antorus.
      WowProgress: https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/area-52/The+Resilient
      R E C R U I T I N G
      Ranged DPS and exceptional melee DPS.
      Especially warlocks and a rogue.
      S C H E D U L E
      Mandatory: Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday
      Optional: Tuesday (farm)
      6-8pm PST
      E X P E C T A T I O N S
      Be punctual. Be prepared. Be positive.
      We provide flasks, potions, and food.
      Discord is our VoiP of choice. We expect you to at least listen. Talking is highly preferred.
      Absences with notice can be worked around, but ghosting is highly unappreciated.
      C O N T A C T S
      BNET: Laolis#1620, Krungey#1340, December#1358, Jairou#1839, AlluraRaiyne#1298
      In-game message: Torvonn/Torvdaddy, Ráiyne, Krungey, Kwlpp, Decembersnow, or Jairou
      A P P L Y
      Use the website to complete a short form https://goo.gl/forms/kE86ZzWAweAJiqPV2
      OR 
      Reach out to one of the contacts above. Please have logs ready, and plan to raid with us at least one night in the week as a trial.