FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Heart4

[Holy] What to improve? Holy paladin w/logs

Hi, english is not my first language, so please be gentle with my grammar/spelling.

I've just returned to raiding after I stopped raiding when SoO came out, and I'd like to know what can I improve with my healing, so here comes the tasty stuff:

ARMORY: 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sanguino/Xerae/advanced

LOGS:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QdY1mRzXjA2g4xFZ#type=summary&boss=-2

I've been using SH since the nerf to EF shield refreshing, but i've been away for months, so if there is a better way to heal, I'd be wishing to try it out.

Right now we're raiding hcs, last one we downed was spoils, so thok will be the next one.

Leg cloak is on the way, 2 runestones to go, hopefully will be done this week. I've been trying to replace my current trinket, but well, RNG sucks, so it seems like i wont get another one till wod sleep.png

Every kind of feedback will be pretty much appreciated, including grammar nazism tongue.png

Here are some links to check out first. I'll review your logs soon when I get some free time. Let me know if you have any questions on the links provided.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/6085-holy-selfless-healer-questions/ 

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/6164-holy-pally-preparing-for-heroics-needs-help/

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/6464-new-holy-pally-healer-lf-advice/

I just took a quick glance... healing 10/14H with a 551 ilvl is pretty damn good man. I don't think there will be any major corrections coming from us :P

Looking through you casts, you use all your CDs which is nice to see, you use Divine Light/Flash on the heavy tank damage fights and stick to AoE healing on the lesser fights, you keep up decently with the resto druids considering your ilvl.

Specific fight stuff:

Fallen Protectors: You'll want to use Divine Shield/Hand of Protection a bit more often to remove the debuff "Garrote" from people. It often becomes the top damage taken in fights for many players, so it's nice to remove.

Sha of Pride: You took 17 hits from the bolts that are shot from fissures, which did 50% of your damage taken, I'd suggest avoiding those as much as possible since a lot of SH's rotation are instant casts.

Iron Juggernaut: Don't be dead, gawd. JK. Took a fair amount of borer drill, so try to remedy that, but I can understand the panic of healing on that fight since it's kinda really heavy on tanks sometimes.

• Like 1

Nice to hear that smile.png

That was my first time on sha, so I didn't see most of them coming. I'm sure that i ate them in first phase, as I didn't stop moving after 30% (not really, just made sure I wasn't standing on nasty things tongue.png).

Juggernaut... well. Headless chicken running in circles would be a nice way to say it sleep.png

So, as far as you can see i'm just getting limited by my ilvl, or there is something else that I can do to improve my performance? I know that 50% of healing is knowing the fight, but sometimes I feel like I could be doing more with what I've got.

EDIT:

I just reread the SH tooltip, and realised that it will buff healing done to OTHER people.

How does this interacts with HR aoe part? Should I try to cast it on someone other than me (suppose I'm just stacking shield while low to no dmg, as I will cast it on whoever need it the most otherwise) to maximise that 50% aoe?

I often use myself as the starting point, as it is easier to see where I am than to check where is X right now. Is this something worth considering, or should I just spam it on myself?

Edited by Heart4
  • Like 1

So.. I'm looking at your logs and nothing really stands out. I could dive deeper and really get to the nitty gritty.. but I kind of want to know where you feel you are lacking so we can start a conversation on what we can do to improve. 

I'll start off by saying using SH is a smart choice (:

• Like 1

Well, I often feel lacking in single target healing and aoe burst healing (juggernaut is a nice example).

I feel like I can't heal the tank enough to keep healing the raid. I know that damage in that fight is high, but when we heal through second phase (we just get away and heal it) I can't keep up even close to druids with aoe, as I can't use judgement to get enough HP.

I can understand that this can just be how the class is designed to be, but I'd like to know if there is a way to heal through that kind of damage with SH. I took the light's hammer and it went better, as long as its 14s were up and healing.

I'm the one keeping the tank who is taking the last two mines alive, and I just can't keep his health up, so I've started to BoP him right away and stick to the group.

I've been thinking to swap some mastery for extra intellect, as I feel like it will work out better when I need to push higher throughput.

Edited by Heart4

Great topic. I feel I have a solid understanding of healing IJ since I was able to get up in the 97th percentile on the fight. This fight is really important on CD management. I've learned that I can use my 3 min CD's early in the fight so that they will be up by the transition when the highest damage is out. One could argue that you can hold onto your CD's for the transition, but I feel if 3 min goes by prior to this spike damage, why not use it early so that it will be available again?

Be sure to have Holy Avenger available during this phase. Beacon the tank and you can take a few approaches:

• Try to stand as close to as many people in a group and holy radiance yourself and light of dawn. Repeat this step for the duration of the CD.
  • Judgment and Divine Light the tank, building up 5 Holy Power and then release a 3/2 Light of Dawn to clear your Holy Power. Repeat this step for the duration of the CD.
  • Judgment, Holy Radiance, Light of Dawn x 2, Holy Radiance, Holy Shock, Light of Dawn x2. Repeat this step for the duration of the CD. 
  • Use a combination of the 3.

All are very solid and can provide solid numbers. While Holy Avenger is ending (or you can stack another CD if you know you'll have another at the end of HA), it's a good time to use another CD.. personally I use GotAK at this time because my raid only goes through the transition phase 1 time. You'll also have Divine Favor and Avenging Wrath available too. Again.. use whenever you feel is necessary. Personally, I find the damage minimal outside this transition and if I need to keep the tank alive, I always have Hand of Sacrifice x 2. 

As far as keeping the tanks alive.. I'd keep the approach of Divine Light the Beacon, Judgment/Holy shock on CD and using Word of Glory on either the off-tank (if soaking bombs and requires healing) or WoD the tank. 

Hopefully this helps. You can review my logs if you care to. Here's my rank #39 on the fight:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZQ37GnACPcjTma2K#fight=6&type=healing 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it's being really helpful :)

I'm so used to Divine purpose, that I didn't even think of Holy avenger. I'll make sure to try it out next week :D

We'll be tackling Thok this week, what setup would you recomend? We'll be running Rdruid, Rshaman and Hpally (i shouldn't be there, but BoP and DA rules so... :P)

• Like 1

You can still put up some great numbers on Thok. I suggest Holy Avenger and Holy Prism on this fight, especially in 10m.

You want to use your highest throughput spells when screetches are getting high but still have Devo running. I wouldn't worry about using Judgment during this portion. Once Devo is no longer available, use Holy Avenger and Judgment/Holy Shock/Crusader to build cast free Holy Power and use Light of Dawn.

If you need further details let me know, I wrote this up in a frenzy since I've been getting slammed at work as of late.