FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mlvnk

ascendence - lava beam vs lava burst

Hi fellow shaman, I tried to search topics related to lava beam versus lava burst while under ascendence buff but to no avail. If this has been discussed elsewhere, please pardon me.

My question is under what scenario spamming lava beam will be better than lava burst. Im currently spamming lava beam on target 3 or more. Make me wonder if it is a dps loss or gain. At what point lava burst dps will be break even with lava beam?

Edited by mlvnk

Lava beam 4+ targets. Lava Burst anything less. Using Lava Beam on Protectors is a mistake a lot of shamans make.

Nope.

61+67+74=202 SP on a three target Lava Beam. That's before counting the contribution from Crit and Mastery (which can proc a full chain for each target, making a single cast equal up to 12 hits, though at a very low rate)

That's vs Lava Bursts (77*1.5)*2.2.

I'd do it on 3 targets or more, as you are now. It does get more complex if you're under the 1.0 cast time during its casts, however.

Further complicated in fights with limited times with 3 targets, asendance sigle target + chain spam vs normal single target + ascendance lava beam spam

Really hard to model

I do not know about the modelling but my experience says 1-2 lava burst is better ... 3+ is better damage with Lava Beam, 4+ lava beam really rocks!

When looking at the numbers it probably makes a difference if you have the cleave trinket on aswell as if you have a mastery or haste build. Mastery only effects Lava burst not lava beam smile.png

Edited by grautod

Mastery only effects Lava burst not lava beam smile.png

whut? i dont think you mean what it seems like you mean here. mastery def procs more lava beam.

Yeah, I meant to pop in here and offer the correct information for that.

Chain Lightning and Lava Beam are affected by Mastery's Overload, but in an odd way.  It has a chance for each target, equal to 1/3rd your usual chance.  So if I have 99% Mastery, it has a 33% chance per target to proc a second Chain/Beam.  When it does proc, it acts as another version of the base spell fired against whichever target procced it, so it chains as normal using that target as a base.

• Like 1

What about the fact that our mastery doesnt state that lava beam can proc it? As far as i know only our overload talent can proc a double cast? I also feel like CL procs WAAAY more than lava beam?

What about the fact that our mastery doesnt state that lava beam can proc it? As far as i know only our overload talent can proc a double cast? I also feel like CL procs WAAAY more than lava beam?

Because under ascendance Lava Beam IS chain lightning for everything. Everything that reads chain lightning can effectively be replaced with Lava Beam whilst ascendance is active.

It seems unintuitive because Lightning Bolt does the same but you don't have to consider it because Lava Burst is a default spell.

Edited by Cambo211

always remember that Blizzard tooltips are pretty much just there to remind you what each spell mostly does. The tooltip can say numbers or very specific things and the spell can do anything. you just have to test for yourself or search for someone who has already tested what each spell in the game does.

it may seem like CL procs more because you're using it on max+ targets. I can't really think of a time when I'd Lava Beam and hit more than 4 things.