Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dretox

[Frost] Dps Guidance

13 posts in this topic

Hi, i´ve been a regular reader of this forum for quite a while now and trying to optimise my rotation and build from what i can read in the forum and the guides but now i think im stuck and cant come much further just by reading these guides or rather i cant find the "problems" with my own gameplay, im doing just fine but i wanna do better and therefore i come here for a little guidance.

is there anything you can find that i should do different? do you have any tips on how i can optimise my dps? 

Here is an armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/Dretox/advanced

And here is logs from our last Raid: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2YTfzLAnDvQNwMFk#fight=33&type=damage-done&source=5

Thanks for an awesome forum and website!

Heh - you should be teaching us, not the other way around :)

This is not the last time I'll be looking at your log, but I doubt very much I'll be able to give you any advice you don't already know.

Hey Dretox,

Your malkorok kill was very good, the only thing that I am wondering (and not really sure if I can test that) is do you actually use Brain Freeze > Ice Lance when both BF and FoF are active? Also on malk you did hardcast one Frostfirebolt!!

Now if I am to scrutinize your logs, the main thing I do NOT see is Cone of Cold usage. On immerseus for example you only used it 3 times in a 6 minute fight. On a 3:45 fight (in which I am not even allowed to AoE alot) I have 4 Cone of Colds cast. Remember how powerful that spell is! If you want to AE always check if CoC is on cooldown and rather use that! You can use it on Immerseus, Protectors, Galakras (you didn't use CoC even once!!!), Dark Shamans and Spoils (garrosh as well on the early adds)

Additionally i see you spellsteal the buff from Spoils. If you do it for the good of your group that's cool but remember it's not a dps increase!

On nazgrim you also have a low uptime of Living Bomb. You also have 100% uptime on Invoker's energy which you generally don't want to do. Invoker's energy first falls off and THEN you recast it!

It's 3;30 now so i might have missed something (and i didn't go terribly deep in the logs) but I think the main things like CoC usage I did pick up smile.png

Hope you can make use of this!

And pardon me for the late reply!
Cheers
Berlinia

Thank you for taking the time to go through my log and giving me advise, I usually try to get off my Bf before I use fof so that I make use of the 2 set bonus, but can probably make that even better. As for the coc usage I haven't actually realised how important that spell is and will make it a part of the rotation when I'm doing aoe and of course use the glyph.

As for the spellsteal I'm aware that it doesn't give me any dmg :)

The high uptime on invokes energi is probably due to me having a tellmewhen that shows Mr when there is 5 seconds left of the buff but I will make it a bit shorter so that I won't renew it before it has fallen off.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort Berlinia

Cheers

Dretox

Hey Dretox,

Generally what you want to do is to refresh invoker's energy if your next spell isn't going to benefit from it. An example is:
If you have 0,8 seconds left on IE, and you can cast a spell. You can always cast a Living Bomb effectively making you be able to cast evocation again at 0,2s after the buff has fallen off. Channel it for 1.5 seconds (this is a random time xD) making you go over to finishing the cast at 1,7 seconds after it fell off. It might seem like you lower your uptime, but effectively you do not lose absolutely anything :)

Ah, i see i haven't thought about it like that to be hones. I will try to work it into my head so I start doing it that way instead:)

Thank you!

Dretox

I am in need of a bit more guidance, this time it is to get my dps as high as possible for the 1st intermission adds. We have only had 2,5 hours on this fight so it quite new to me. The issue is that om constantly lagging behind on dmg on these adds. My dmg is ~4 mill on these adds.

My frozen orb have ~5 seconds left on its cooldown when the intermission starts, should I save the orb so I have it ready for the intermissions start instead of using it on cd?

Do you have any tips? I'll see if I can get hold of our logs.

Cheers

Edit: (i didnt mention it before but it is the garrosh fight i am talking)

Edited by Dretox

Ehm, logs would be great!

I am in need of a bit more guidance, this time it is to get my dps as high as possible for the 1st intermission adds. We have only had 2,5 hours on this fight so it quite new to me. The issue is that om constantly lagging behind on dmg on these adds. My dmg is ~4 mill on these adds.

My frozen orb have ~5 seconds left on its cooldown when the intermission starts, should I save the orb so I have it ready for the intermissions start instead of using it on cd?

Do you have any tips? I'll see if I can get hold of our logs.

Cheers

As a frost mage you can easily be one of the top damage on these adds if you get some nice procs (log of a random wipe where I had beast damage on them: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vrgyZjwRD6Mfpm8J#fight=42&type=damage-done&target=475). Frozen Orb is the king here. You shouldn't need to use it for a 2nd time in that first transition, obviously from an overall dmg perspective it's better to use it there for max aoe but to focus on cleaving the Embodied Doubts you will need to save it.

Im usually on the inside adds so I will DoT 3 LBs as Im running, then throw orb as i reach my pack, and just spam all my procs onto them. With decent RNG I've reached 10+million.

Edited by durrtygoodz

Apparently we didnt keep logs yesterday which is kind of unusual but i think i will be in on progressing on friday so will definetly post after that. 

I understand that you can´t do much before you can have a  look at the logs.

Thank you Durrtygoodz for your reply and for taking the effort in making a video of it :) 

i will start holding on to my Forzen orb to get that extra punch in the face :) 

Cheers 

Here are the logs from our progress today, 

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yz8QcBnpJ63WjbrY

We had some changes in the group during the attempts so for the last ~10 tries im on engineer and desecrate which is a bit more movement than i usually do. 

This is the first time we get to 2nd intermission and i have gotten my dps in the 1st intermission alot better now that i save my Frozen orb :)

Cheers