FORUMS
Sargerik

HELLLPPPP..!!!

OK so I really haven't played my hunter since the beginning of MOP and since then played a variety of alts, now that being said I have since gone back to my hunter and did I mention I'm finally learning how to keybind as I'm 8 years a clicker. I know my gear still needs help ring / trinket still in blues but I also feel that my dps is still  lacking by a large margine.. I am going to link my logs from lfr wing 2 so please tell me what I need to improve on ...

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CyBYJWqTv7Gg3aNP/#type=damage-done&fight=15

Edited by Sargerik
  • Like 1

Okay so first off I'm looking at Iron Juggernaut. This is a great fight to see how you do at movement fights. On this one in particular, your Serpent Sting uptime was about 80%. This isn't that big of a deal since our damage from that as BM is pretty minimal anyways, but always shoot for 95%+ if possible.

Another thing I'm looking at is that your CPM is pretty low. 50 CPM isn't awful, but it's not the best. 100% optimal would be 60. Try to shoot for anything closer to 60.

So let's look at your breakdown like this.

(Uses/Uses Possible)

Kill Command 41/56

Glaive Toss 21/22 (This was great.)

What I'm going to assume is your issue is that you're running out of focus sometimes, and having to scramble to get enough focus for Kill command. Try to hover around 60 Focus, going a little higher when KC is about to come off cooldown. You shouldn't ever miss one by not having enough focus. That's a HUGE DPS loss. 

Next I'll be looking at Dark Shamans. In my opinion this fight is a great fight for hunters if we know what we're doing.

Something I noticed right off the bat is that you didn't use Barrage. This is our go to talent for that fight because of how it lines up PERFECTLY with the bloods. You wanna use that every time the bloods come up, it will be a huge DPS gain if you do that next time. Now the same things that we looked at before I'll look at again for this fight.

Kill commands 37/55

Glaive Toss 19/22

It seems like you're super good at getting close to perfect Glaive Toss usage but you seem to drop off with Kill Command because of, what I can only assume is the Focus cost of it being significantly higher.

Serpent sting uptime was also very poor. 54% is less than optimal by a large amount. 

What I'm going to suggest you do is add me on Battle Tag so I can give you a little more personal advice because logs can only tell so much about someone. I'm curious if you're tracking your DoTs in any way, managing Focus Fire because it seemed there was a huge delay in getting your first one up, but I know how annoying that can be to proc but that should be hit as soon as it gets 5 stacks as long as you're not in Bestial Wrath. Your cooldown usage was good, I can't look at your armory but judging by your low uptime on Rapid Fire I'm going to assume you don't have 2 piece or an AoC. Those are huge DPS increases.

Feel free to shoot me a friend request in response to this and I'll see if there's anything I can help you with in real time instead of over the forums.

Edited by Niix
  • Like 2

I'm going to expand on what Niix has already stated by going into cooldown usage, primarily bestial wrath and focus fire.

Your first BW was 6.5 seconds into your opener.  This should be used right on pull along with stampede and rapid fire.  You're also delaying later BW usage by a few seconds each, which almost cost you your last use (only got benefit of 3 seconds of BW).  Graph of what I mean.  Focus fire usage is really good, and your cpm is good.  

Thanks for that, I don't main BM so I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in his logs. You got that all pretty right so you can probably give more meaningful advice since I main SV.

Thanks for that, I don't main BM so I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in his logs. You got that all pretty right so you can probably give more meaningful advice since I main SV.

Nor do I, since I main MM and OS SV, lol.  I've just learned what to look for through trial and error, reading other people's analysis and general logic-ing things out.  Mostly the second for other classes.  

I also put a ticket in at sentry totem as well but I like to get as much feed back from the hunter community as I can ..

Niix as you pointed out in the IJ fight my KC use/usage being 41/56 I think part of my problem is that im also spamming Arcane shot as much as I can  which in turn is leaving me with low dot up time and at times starved for focus where I don't get a KC out

and its also due in part of me learning how to move with my mouse and im paying attention to my keyboard and making me slow to attack.

As for the Dark Shaman fight well lets just say that there was a ninja pull when no one was ready so I was all outta sorts which was why it took 6.5 sec for me to cast BW  and no I didn't take barrage but I will in the future and I really cant explain my proper usage of glaive toss over kill command and as for addons im using elvui along with weak aruas to track my cd,dots,ect

CPM is casts per minute, perfect would be 60, but since we are limited by focus and cobra (and steady) shot have a base 2 second cast, 60 isn't going to happen. Although, I'm not sure if cape procs are included in this, since that would inflate the cpm since you can still cast when it procs. Also, what I stated was all for IJ, I didn't look at the shamans kill.

I also put a ticket in at sentry totem as well but I like to get as much feed back from the hunter community as I can ..

Niix as you pointed out in the IJ fight my KC use/usage being 41/56 I think part of my problem is that im also spamming Arcane shot as much as I can  which in turn is leaving me with low dot up time and at times starved for focus where I don't get a KC out

and its also due in part of me learning how to move with my mouse and im paying attention to my keyboard and making me slow to attack.

As for the Dark Shaman fight well lets just say that there was a ninja pull when no one was ready so I was all outta sorts which was why it took 6.5 sec for me to cast BW  and no I didn't take barrage but I will in the future and I really cant explain my proper usage of glaive toss over kill command and as for addons im using elvui along with weak aruas to track my cd,dots,ect

That's great that you've identified exactly what you need to improve. If you want, I can throw you my weak auras for dot timers and a focus bar that way you'll be able to monitor those a little more closely.

I'm not sure if I totally identified what I'm doing but by reading your feed back and analyzing it ,I'm making  a few changes to my play style and will make sure to get closer to 60 cpm and more KC on cooldown as I don't want to miss any chance to get it off .Some of the reason why my serpent sting is low is that after I pop my opener I'm applying the SS well into the fight as I forget to use it ( fail I know ) and / or I'm focus starved from spamming AS and it falls off which would also go with my lower cpm that you mentioned.

Please make your weak auras available as I'm ALWAYS up for a better way to stream info during an encounter if it'll help .Also I sent you a battlenet request Niix  thank you so much for helping me out and a thank you as well to Orthios for your feed back , I've always said the Hunter community was / IS the best and not wanna be Hunter  ( warlock ) community that's got Hunter envy...lol

The max CPM you can really reach is 58 or so and only a handful of players are there.

This is correct, it's just about impossible to get to 60 considering that would be perfectly casting an ability every second.

This is my most recent logs from TOT please go over them and let me know what you think:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/X92CtZAbw8cq4L3T/#fight=38

We had a couple of wipes on Horridan so my numbers were skewed due to the buff we get  but over all I feel that im on the right path from what you guys have mentioned to me , im still struggling with movement heavy fights as im still relearning how to move with mouse and camera angles , and with the council fight I know I didn't get off my SS very much and was slow to target swap so I know I need to work on that type of fight as well.

this is my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/elune/Sarger%c3%ack/simple

Edited by Sargerik

So I've already went over this with Sergerik, but I will recap everything here in case anybody else is looking at this thread.

So the first thing I looked at was Kill Command uses. On Jin'Rokh he used 48/58. The way we find this, in case anybody is curious is as follows. Take the amount of seconds the fight lasted, so in this case, 350. Divide that by the cooldown of the ability in question and boom, we get optimal usage of that ability. 58 was the magic number here and Sargerik fell short by about 10 kill commands. 

Serpent sting uptime, while not entirely important, still does a decent amount of damage over the course of the fight. We're wanting it up anywhere from 95-98%, 85 is obviously a little low, but it's not the worst thing that can happen. 

The next thing I looked at was the Focus Fire usage and cooldowns. In which you didn't have a single Focus Fire cast. This is absolutely MASSIVE. Focus Fire is a huge DPS gain, it's practically a bloodlust that we can cast multiple times during the fight. Another thing is that since you don't have an AoC, your Synapse Springs and Bestial Wrath line up perfectly. Go ahead and copy this text into a macro and you'll never have to worry about them not lining up.

#showtooltip

/cast Bestial Wrath

/use 10

/cast Kill Command

This will use your Kill Command directly after using Bestial wrath, and will keep your gloves on the same cooldown as BW. This will help simplify things, as well as increasing your damage at the same time. Obviously this doesn't work once you get AoC as the cooldown becomes different.

thank you again so much again.

You are correct that I didn't use a single FF and it was by design (wrongly) , as I wanted to keep my pets frenzy stacks up as much as possible as I figured that my pets haste bonus was more important than my range haste again (wrong).I will take your macro and apply as 10 missed KC's is just terrabad , on the bright side my dps has increased a lot and  with a little more work on my part

not missing 10 KC and getting my SS upwards of 95% uptime big things should be coming my way..

• Like 1

Focus Fire also gives an insta-return of focus to your pet if you read the tooltip which is where a lot of the damage comes from because your pet's Basic does 100% more dmg when spent over 50 focus.

OK so these are my latest logs I still feel I have ALOT to improve and I again will look to guys for some guidance ..
According to female dwarf I should be pulling about 155k dps and I am falling short on that. I'm starting to get very frustrated because I'm not getting even close to that . I understand some of it is not being comfortable with the fight but after the encounter I feel I under achieved ..

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qHNkcMGL6PxYCRFz/#type=damage-done&source=39

and this is my armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/elune/Sarger%c3%ack/simple

Well, it has you listed @ just over 136K for that fight - and that's not too bad given your gearing (that includes a couple PvP pieces). You are way over hit but it looks like you've done as much as you could to reforge out of hit as much as possible.

You have 53 KC's with a possible 59 - so you did good there (could do a little better but if you get prisoned, well you know how that goes).

You have to remember too that Female Dwarf (and other sims) are listing what your DPS should be for a Patchwork style fight and assumes you hit everything perfectly with close to max CPM.

So I would say that wasn't too bad.

yea I was prisoned twice and as for being way over hit capped SIGH I've done all I can to reforge out of it and with my RNG gear is hard to come by for me