Death Knight Class Concept

5 posts in this topic

Death Knight Class Concept

Hello there! Yes, you are most certainly right, here comes another fan-made concept of the death knight hero for Hearthstone! I will here present all 26 class cards, discuss some of their mechanics and synergy. 

Please keep in mind, this is mainly for fun and some sort of creative outlet. The art used is mostly from Blizzard/TCG. Whatever art not taken from there I do not take credit for or claim to own. Please, enjoy and leave whatever comment you see fit smile.png.

EDIT: Most cards have been adjusted to maintain balance, several cards have been removed due to broken or bad mechanics and a few new cards have been added or applied to old ones. I will not list all the changes here, as it does not matter really. I will continually update the cards in this post, and when the class is somewhat well fleshed out, I will take the concept further to other forums and such. Thanks for all your input!

This is Arthas Menethil, and he is of course the Death Knight hero, because... he's the Lich King, dude! And, he's here for your souls.

Entering battle: 1."You shall know endless torment!" 2. "Your pain shall be legendary!"

Greetings: Welcome, mortal.

Well played: Good, good!

Sorry: I must apologize.

Oops: Foolishness!

Threaten: Frostmourne hungers!

As will become apparant the idea of "offense is the best defense" and aggressive nature of the death knight is what this is all about. By being reckless you gain some benefits. Of course, this depends on how you play and what deck you put together in the end, meaning you can play more defensive; but the class cards project some of this aggressive nature. Your minions are "disposable things", a means to an end - life in exchange for death, and then death for a new form of life. Undeath. This is the anthem of the Death Knight. To compensate for the amount of damage being thrown around, especially considering your Hero Power, there are several cards that restore health to your hero. 

Pretty basic hero power, which let's your hero gain +2 attack the turn it is used. Inspired by the Horn of Winter ability from WoW.

Okay, we'll start off with the "basics". Pardon the pun.

1. The Acolyte of Death, a basic minion. A weaker version of the Acolyte of Pain, but with a nice battlecry to give it some working space. One of the few cards that cause the Freeze effect, since it fits the theme of the Frost Death Knight.

2. Death Coil, a version of Shadow Word: Pain that factors health instead of attack. One of your control cards. 

3. Blood Boil. A mix of Cleave and Avenging Wrath. Good for clearing weak minions, or creating opportunities to kill stronger minions. Of course it can be used as a straight hero damaging ability if you are lucky or the board is clear. This is a part of the Blood Death Knight aspect.

4. Essential defensive card - Vampiric Apparition. A mix of Armorsmith and Lightwell. 

5. Unholy Frenzy, a simple buff, similar to Power Overwhelming that can help you clear tough minions or deal massive damage to your opponent. It can also serve as a overcosted Hunter's Mark, which can make it easier to kill of a tough minion. Inspired by the Unholy aspect of the Death Knight. 

6. The Frenzied Ghoul. A low-cost creature with charge and some nice synergy with your minions. Can be good for clearing or dealing extra damage. 

7. Gibbering Lich. A value card that summons a token and provides spell damage +1. Can't ask for more right?

8. We arrive at one of our defensive spells: Icebound Fortitude. Similar to Shield Block, but paired with the condition and modifier of Mortal Strike. Inspired by the Frost Death Knight aspect. 

9. Our first weapon: The Dreadblade - a reverse Light's Justice. A unholy and straight-to-the-point statement that you are not fooling around. 

10. Soul Reaper. A version of Shadow Word: Death and Big Game Hunter that factors Health instead of Attack. A safeguard if things get out of your control. 

As you can see, a lot of the creatures here have little attack value and little health, but your spells are strong, for both protecting yourself and dealing with big minions. And there is already a clear synergistic trait here, which involves damaging and death inflicted on minions. The idea is the offensive and aggressive nature of the death knight, which serves as a defense also. No matter what, you plow through whatever obstacle is in your way and by being reckless you gain some benefits. The value lies in your minions as disposable things, a means to an end. Life for Death. This theme and feel will continue further on. 

Let's stay on common ground...

1. Yes, secrets! A mixture of Freezing Trap and Explosive Trap. Great for controlling the board. 

2. Master of Ghouls, a secret that acts like a Deathrattle, but it's secret. Sort of like a Redemption, but it replaces them with another creature.   

3. An interesting card. A passive minion which drains health from random minions and gives it to your hero. This provides some health regen flavor. 

4. Death Advances! A crude insult to your opponent, which can turn games around if you need to clear or rush an opponent. 

5. Sort of the bread and butter AoE spell for consistancy. 

6. Dark Transformation, another "deathrattle" secret that summons a 3/4 minion when one of your minions dies. The Undead Monstrosity is a sizeable creature, that can be somewhat of a game changer early on. 

7. Last of the commons, the common Bone Golem of Icecrown Citadel. Yes, the guys that Cleave your dps to shreds. They don't dissapoint here either. Dealing 1 damage to all minions, like a Whirlwind, this would combo nicely with Vampiric Apparition, Frenzied Ghoul or even Acolyte of Death for card draw.

Constant and sustained damage is a word to describe some of the aspect of the death knight, a constant thorn and pain in your side... like a sickness - a creeping death! And of course, some hard hits.

It is with rarity that Arthas begs for less souls...

1. Runeforge Smith, a variation of Arathi Weaponsmith, but with a Death Knight flavor and the stats of an Armorsmith. The Runeblade has low attack and durability, but has a potent effect.  

2. Big lad! The slightly stronger Boulderfist Ogre with Taunt, sort of a weaker Ironbark Protector - a fierce foe to handle. The big pounder of the Death Knight minions. 

3. The Val'kyr Herald. A spell damage minion with a lust for blood and vengance. If not silenced or killed this girl might get nasty. The spelldamage is a nice addition, if you want to throw this out late game and finish off some minions with spells. Otherwise it is a real threat if left unchecked. 

4. The all-known Death Strike! A mix between Mortal Strike and Drain Life that can render tough foes defenseless or make the enemy hero crumble.

5. Another secret, Heart Strike. It can stop an attack or cripple the board severely. Use this to your advantage by setting up a counter attack with this secret. 

Secrets and unexpected things happen in life, as that which is not alive or dead, can often haunt your days... Oblivion comes in a rain of spells and sudden doom.

No pun... I'm sorry, epicly so.

1. The epic secret of the death knight: Anti-Magic Shell, which is a mix of Ice Barrier, Counterspell and Spellbender. Basically you absorb the spell and gain some armor. 

2. The infamous Army of the Dead - a variation of Force of Nature. Use this to clear the board or as a finisher. 

3. The best weapon in your arsenal. When any minion dies, Frostmourne drains their life force and restores 1 health to your hero. 

A soulstorm for the God of Death! And the reward for you, death knight: Immortality.

There is only one unfortunately, but hey what can you do but follow the legend?

1. SINDRAGOSA, THE QUEEN OF THE FROSTBROOD AND THE MOST EPIC FROST WYRM TO DATE! Basically slightly weaker legendary, stat-wise, than Ysera, at a higher mana cost. But she freezes all your enemies upon arrival and caters you with a nice spell boost, like the Sorcerer's Apprentice. 

Destruction from the skies... the earth crumble, blood freeze and flesh rot - and through the jagged cracks seep only Death. As above, so below.  

So the basic idea is to balance damage/death of minions with a flow of new minions and a barrage of spells.Heal, freeze, explode and rend your foes useless. 

Thank you if you've read so far. I will post other card suggestions below eventually. Please leave a comment below. 

1 person likes this

Interesting ideas. The amount of healing and armor available seem a bit overtuned, and the secrets are very strong. I like the idea of a second class that can have a Freeze focus.

Do you have any ideas to give the Unholy specialization more of a presence? You've got a mostly Blood and Frost theme going.

It looks really good! I do think though that the Hero power is a bit overpowered. Dark Transformation and Dreadblade too. I mean, you could get 6 Attack with just your Hero Power and Dreadblade, that looks a bit OP to me tongue.png

This is incredible work. I agree with the others, tho. Quite OP. Not many "chinks in the armor," so to speak. Some of the cards should be scaled worth to cost, like Death's advance should cost 3 mana instead of 2 and Anti-Magic Shell should cost 4 and only apply 2 armor. But that's only my opinion. This was exceptionally done and well thought out. Nice job. Maybe submit this to Bliz as like a final Naxx release? :) Bravo, good sir.

2 attack is too much for a hero power, The only one that does 2 damage is hunters because it can only attack the enemy hero. anything that gives you the ability to choose what you attack usually only gives 1 attack. Also it's kind of vanilla. If there's a new hero classes I'd like to see some completely new mechanics introduced with them also.

The obvious choice with DK's would be diseases. Diseases apply disease counters to their target. at the beginning of a players turn any minions or heroes with a disease counter on them take 1 damage, and remove 1 disease counter.

that would then allow a hero ability

Blood plague: 2 mana, apply 2 disease counters to a target

It would sort of be a 2 attack, any target ability, but it would only deal 1 damage per turn until the counters are gone.

That would also open up the possibility for disease cards, or minions that apply diseases.

Necrotic Plague, 4 mana : apply 2 disease counters on all enemies.

some minion: 3 mana: 1/3  whenever an enemy is damaged by this minion apply 1 disease counter.

Pestilence: 5 mana: put X disease counters on all enemies, where X is the number of disease counters on the target.