FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Anyone into running here?

The title says it all, I was just wondering if we had forum people who are into running. I'm always training for a race, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in my sharing my training plans.

I started running as of 2 weeks ago when i returned from vacation. Just reached the 5 km straight so it might be anything special but i'm working for it.

I started running as of 2 weeks ago when i returned from vacation. Just reached the 5 km straight so it might be anything special but i'm working for it.

How fast did you run them?

Hey!! Did somebody say running?! Finally.

I wouldn't say I'm a big time runner, but I always make a point to run 4-5 times a week. I'm currently training for a half that is set for September 7. I'm shooting for a sub 1:50:00 time since my training has been cut pretty dramatically due to the high heat advisories and my love for drinking beer. :D

That is awesome. When you say straight do you mean non-stop no resting?

Not fast... 39 minutes

What matters is how long you run, not how fast tongue.png If I were you, I would aim at making it 1 hour. Then, you can really get started tongue.png

Hey!! Did somebody say running?! Finally.

I wouldn't say I'm a big time runner, but I always make a point to run 4-5 times a week. I'm currently training for a half that is set for September 7. I'm shooting for a sub 1:50:00 time since my training has been cut pretty dramatically due to the high heat advisories and my love for drinking beer. biggrin.png

Still good enough. I'm aiming for a 1:35:00 time for a half marathon at the beginning of October. That's going to be hard tongue.png

• Like 1

Outside of training, what is your average time/mileage a week? Personally I try to shoot for 25+ miles or about 4+ hours of total running for the week.

I'm assuming since you're going for that fast of a time you have been doing a lot of HIIT?

5km in an hour is pretty much walking. I am quite a skinny guy and I also had performed an operation on my legs when i was 14 making it unable for me to do anything untill my 17th birthday last year. So i recently started and yea I mean 5km in 39 minutes without stopping to take a breath. Then I stopped and walked another 2km to my house :P

And that 1:50 you are speaking about is impossible for me to comprehend.

And that's compared to Damien's 1:35:00 goal. :P

Outside of training, what is your average time/mileage a week? Personally I try to shoot for 25+ miles or about 4+ hours of total running for the week.

I'm assuming since you're going for that fast of a time you have been doing a lot of HIIT?

I usually run between 3 and 4 hours a week, depending on the sessions I plan. Currently, I have one easy session of 1h30 where I regularly check my heart rate monitor to make sure I stay below 140 bpm. I have a session where I run 3xXX minutes at 4:30 min/km (that's 7:15 min/miles), which is going to be my half-marathon pace. Last time it was 3x15 minutes with 3 minutes of rest in between, but this week I ran 45 minutes straight at 4:30 min/km to test myself. Next time it will be 3x20 minutes and the week after that, 1 hour straight, and the week after that 3x25 minutes, and the week after that 1h15 straight. And I have this last session where I do 30-30 interval training, 3 series of 10 repetitions, 2 minutes between each series.

I'm also going to do some work on stairs during September, so that will add a few sessions.

Next, I'm preparing for a 75-km trail in December, so I will considerably increase my weekly mileage (or kilometerage tongue.png). 

And that 1:50 you are speaking about is impossible for me to comprehend.

I usually run between 3 and 4 hours a week, depending on the sessions I plan. Currently, I have one easy session of 1h30 where I regularly check my heart rate monitor to make sure I stay below 140 bpm. I have a session where I run 3xXX minutes at 4:30 min/km (that's 7:15 min/miles), which is going to be my half-marathon pace. Last time it was 3x15 minutes with 3 minutes of rest in between, but this week I ran 45 minutes straight at 4:30 min/km to test myself. Next time it will be 3x20 minutes and the week after that, 1 hour straight, and the week after that 3x25 minutes, and the week after that 1h15 straight. And I have this last session where I do 30-30 interval training, 3 series of 10 repetitions, 2 minutes between each series.

I'm also going to do some work on stairs during September, so that will add a few sessions.

Next, I'm preparing for a 75-km trail in December, so I will considerably increase my weekly mileage (or kilometerage tongue.png). 

That is booking it. I like the training regime. My issue is I actually do not like running more than 8 miles. The recovery and time spent running during a single session is very difficult for me. 

I think over the long haul I'm going to just keep training for 5 and 10k races, with 10k being my favorite.

I read the postings and could have cried.

I did a lot of running before knee operations forced me to quit sports.

Nevertheless, all the best for your marathon plans cool.png

I'm vaguely into not running.

Does that count?

I do enjoy a good scramble, however.  Gotta get vertical, then it has my attention.

I'm running my third half marathon of the year tomorrow. I'm slow though, last one was about 2:20. Guessing this one will be a bit slower because I have been slacking.

You do realize that running is one of the most dangerous cardiovascular exercises? It does tremendous damage to the knees/ankles for the little amount of actual work you are putting into it.  I would seriously recommend staying away from running long distances and look into other types of programs that use high intensity interval training.

You do realize that running is one of the most dangerous cardiovascular exercises? It does tremendous damage to the knees/ankles for the little amount of actual work you are putting into it.  I would seriously recommend staying away from running long distances and look into other types of programs that use high intensity interval training.

Well, I don't know. Both my parents were athletes when they were younger. Now in their sixties, they are still very active. My mom still runs and is doing just fine (she's a cancer survivor, mind you), but my dad picked up cycling 20 years and has given up on running since (back in the days, he was training for 400m hurdles and also ran a number of long-distance races (70+km). Also, I've started training more seriously this year after I recovered from my tibial plateau fracture. This is like the worst possible injury you can get as a runner and my knee does not even hurt when I run, so I don't think the damage is as bad as people make it to be. As for ankle damage, it's the first time I hear about it. In any case, I've been looking things up online and haven't really found anything to discourage me from running tongue.png

Reached 8km!

10km is the next step tongue.png I went for 3x20min at 4m30/km yesterday with 4 minutes rest in between, but had to scale down a bit to 3x17min, after I struggled through the first repetition. I felt better in the 2nd and 3rd repetition, so I did the 3rd one at 4m19/km tongue.png

A friend of mine just finished 4,98km in 15:05 minutes xD

Lol, that's really good. I hope I can do that too one day. After the 75km race I have planned in December, I'll train for a 1500m in 5m00s and I'll see where it takes me, but 5k in 15 minutes is really far ahead tongue.png

Well, I don't know. Both my parents were athletes when they were younger. Now in their sixties, they are still very active. My mom still runs and is doing just fine (she's a cancer survivor, mind you), but my dad picked up cycling 20 years and has given up on running since (back in the days, he was training for 400m hurdles and also ran a number of long-distance races (70+km). Also, I've started training more seriously this year after I recovered from my tibial plateau fracture. This is like the worst possible injury you can get as a runner and my knee does not even hurt when I run, so I don't think the damage is as bad as people make it to be. As for ankle damage, it's the first time I hear about it. In any case, I've been looking things up online and haven't really found anything to discourage me from running tongue.png

I'm not trying to discourage running all together.  I would just highly suggest supplementing your running with other types of physical activities.  Doing 1 activity for exercise is not only boring, but it forces your muscles into a repetition mode that will not develop them properly.

Doing 1 activity for exercise is not only boring,

I would make an intercourse joke here but that would be innapropriate

• Like 1

That's why you need to change up the positions wink.png

And I still wouldn't recommend using that as your only form of exercise.