FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
atrom

Retri 4pc question

Hey, I've got 4pc T16 for Ret, als Pieces are 553. I also got the Immerseus Chest (582) and the Galakras Helmet (582). I'm not quite sure, if I should go for 4pc with all 553 or 2pc with the two heroic 4/4 upgrades.

Thanks alot in advance.

Do you have a link to your armory that shows what your stats will look like with the 2 heroic pieces? 

While I am not an expert at Ret, it appears (from a holy pov) that the 4pc bonus alone would be the primary goal when gearing up. The proc that it gives will dramatically increase your DPS. 

There are many more knowledgeable ret paladins in the community that can give more thorough advice but I think that 4 pc > weapon > trinket are your primary goals when gearing. After that it is reaching a certain haste breakpoint to speed up your spells and HP build-up.

You definitely want to use your 4pc as the proc is exceptionally good in both single target and AoE situations.

There are a few different off set pieces that can be used that will provide you with the best itemization possible. The shoulders from Protectors, the helm from Galakras and the legs from Garrosh all have stats that will provide you with the proper itemization (Haste to 40%>Mastery>Crit). The tier set legs are usually used the least as the itemization on them is less than ideal (Haste/Crit) but they are by no means bad. I would suggest that you use the HWF Helm from Galakras and your 4 set.

I wouldn't toss the chest from immerseus though. There are some Ret's out there that are prioritizing crit over mastery and it may be something that you wish to try once you get the appropriate gear.

Edited by Bitshinbetty

I would like to say this, while the proc is exceptional for aoe, there is easily an argument for going more stats for single target fights ONLY, and forgoing the 4 pc but I still wouldn't advise it because it's expensive to constantly reforge and you need to maintain a reforge/gemming built around the 4pc pieces you plan to use

My gut reaction is that the 4pc bonus is more valuable than the additional stats you'd be replacing it for, I also find it a nice way of spicing up the ret gameplay.

That's why I said single target only, which is a finger-full of fights. Especially since you're getting more str, more haste, more attack power, more crit, and so on. It's 30 ilvls which is a big deal.

From my understanding of prior conversations on the subject, the 4pc proc fits in your priority just ahead of Exo in a single target rotation, leaving it very likely to not even get used, as your haste should be high enough to have CS and Judge coming off cd and replacing it anyway.  2+ targets, however, the proc becomes extremely valuable, as it ranks up as your highest-priority ability instead.

If you are running a DP build, the procs become more valuable as they can fish for DP procs as well.  Nothing like chaining six consecutive finishers...

From my understanding of prior conversations on the subject, the 4pc proc fits in your priority just ahead of Exo in a single target rotation, leaving it very likely to not even get used, as your haste should be high enough to have CS and Judge coming off cd and replacing it anyway.  2+ targets, however, the proc becomes extremely valuable, as it ranks up as your highest-priority ability instead.

If you are running a DP build, the procs become more valuable as they can fish for DP procs as well.  Nothing like chaining six consecutive finishers...

The proc ALWAYS gets used in single target fights, no exceptions. The proc must also never be overwritten by using another finisher without spending it.

EDIT: To clarify, the proc is about equivalent to a TV in damage against a target with raid boss armour.

Edited by AMonkeyCourier

This is the single target priority given by the elitist jerks Ret guide. Although for all I know it may be different now given more time to play around in 5.4 and increased gear levels. Though as you can see the DS proc has a high prio even on single target. Remember DS is a finisher, even just in principle a HoPo generator should be no where near the effectiveness of a finisher.

Inq > ES (> 5HP T16 Free DS) > 5HP TV > HoW (> T16 Free DS) > CS > Judge > Exo > 3-4HP TV (> SS)

Edited by Boltt

On the subject of the 4pc has anyone been noticing a lower amount of procs occurring? I feel like I'm not getting as many as I should lately.

Also. When comparing the two scenarios you shouldn't compare the rotation, but rather the stats. If someone wants to, before I do, compare the stat adjustment and damage of a TV with the 2 heroic pieces and the damage of TV with the 553 4pc, you'll find your answer.

Hi guys - back again.

Have done some sim-work:

4pc:

JPOSKds.jpg

87MTc9p.jpg

3pc:

XrADdJm.jpg

qoR6at2.jpg

Done with a random Retri found on the armory (iLvl ~570) because i have no active account atm.

Cheers

Edit: All single target sims ...

For 3pc profile i have changed set helmet with inv_helmet_plate_raidwarrior_n_01.jpgThranok's Shattering Helm - fully upgraded

Edited by LobbyBoy
  • Like 1

That seems about right, Lobby. To expand a bit on why it's used as a filler unless a finisher is directly coming up, the proc is able to be "pooled" to make room for maximising the CDs of your higher power builders. In effect, the best way of planning out how to use a proc is by checking how many builders you can use before the next finisher and carrying out that sequence of builders, replacing the lowest power one with your DS proc. That way, not a single proc is wasted and the overall power of your builders is bumped up by a bit, while gaining what are essentially free tempar's verdicts on a regular basis.

I don't claim to know everything, by the way guys. I'm good at my class, I can fix your armory in a jiff, and I can generally tell you if you're doing something wrong, so if I say something that's entirely wrong, I do apologize, I'm just guessing. I haven't had much time to get into numbers as I've had a lot of work to do lately, but I do have to say you all keep me in line really well :P

Haha I'd rather be told I'm wrong so others have right advice, than to theoretically be right an wrong in reality.

Hi Guys, 

I have a follow up question, when would the ilvl jump be big enough to justify breaking the 4p bonus?

For example I have 528 shoulder and chest, and the 553 legs and gloves

(http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Sylvar/simple)

AMR is suggesting I break the 4P and 2P set bonuses to switch in 

559 Rossi'sRosin-soaked shoulders

559 Partik's purified legplates

550 prideful chest

From the work here it was comparing breaking the 4p with items that are relatively close in ilvl

My gut is telling me that breaking the 4p swapping out the legs and shoulders may be correct, and getting the 4/4 upgrade on the chest not breaking the 2p is correct.  

Thanks,

Syl 

With the expansion being so close, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to theorycraft how gear will be used in SoO. Personally, I would spend more time saving up gold for all the gear, enchants, gems and professions I would be needing for the first raid tier in WoD. This is the best time to mess around with the play style so it won't be so hectic when going into the heroic dungeons at level 100.