Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caztek

Gemming full parry or parry/dodge as prot?

3 posts in this topic

I just have one question i just cant find a proper answer for...

Gemming full parry in red, parry/dodge in yellow and parry/stam in blue is a dps increase when u use the glyph of hold the line, i get that, and i also know that dodge has a bigger DR than parry so its better to use more parry because u can have more of it without losing its potential and stuff.

But my question is, when gemming this way how many survivability do i loose? like is gemming parry/dodge better for survivability than gemming pure parry? and why?

Do i get more Revenge procs out of it? do i regen more rage during a fight?

all questions i cant find a proper answer for =/

i want to to high dps, sure. but not for the cost of high survivability...

So if anyone is out there and knows the stat prioritys and the DR on both Parry and dodge and can tell whats better it would be great =) thx guys

Actually you have 2 orientation available:

1/ You already clean SoO HM and you may look after Ranking so used a Crit orientation

2/ You still not clean SoO HM so you should take a Par/Avoid orientation

parry/dodge better for survivability than gemming pure parry? and why?

Each time parry is proc it is affecting the Diminish Return (DR)

Each time boss avoid your attack it is affecting DR too.

So it is better to have 2 DR concern (Parry & Avoid) than only one, that is why full parry is a mistake.

As the DR for avoidance is slightly 2 more quick than parry you have to used this macro

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("If ration above 1.88 start getting Parry. Currently at:"..string.format("%.2f",(GetDodgeChance()-10)/(GetParryChance()-10)))

Also Even on Par/Avoir on few boss you can have >500k DPS (Garrosh HM, Klaxxi, Blackfuse) depending on your strat and/or your role.

Few tips:

If you have a 2 tank comp do not forget to switch to keep up Revenge.

You can stack up Revenge in front of Malkorok, Garrosh, ... under CD to keep up your revenge (so your DPS)

To Conclude, even if i already clear the SoO Hm content, I prefer keeping my Avoid/Par orientation than look for a rank.

For ranking i used my DPS spec.

Hope it will help you

Edited by epurator

Gemming full parry versus parry/dodge is largely personal preference. I like to get the most out of my stats that I possibly can and to that end, I gem a mix of parry and dodge. I reforge mostly into parry, then gem dodge until my DR is even. I have a more detailed way of doing this in my guide (stickied at the top of the warrior forum). Gemming full parry versus parry/dodge is probably roughly even in terms of damage output. Hard parry will give you slightly fewer Revenge procs, but you'll have slightly more benefiting from Hold the Line. Mixed dodge and parry will give you slightly more Revenge procs, but slightly fewer of them will benefit from Hold the Line. I should probably just break this down into a pros and cons list.

Pure Parry:

Pros: Slightly more benefit from Hold the Line

Cons: Slighty fewer Revenge procs, therefore slightly less rage and slightly fewer overall avoided (dodged or parried) attacks. Slightly more damage taken overall. Will take slightly longer (on average) to proc Riposte.

Mixing dodge/parry to balance out your DR has the opposite of the pure parry route. Keep in mind, even when balancing your DR, you still have massively more parry. At 589, I have roughly 2.5x as much parry as I do dodge so I still get plenty of mileage out of Hold the Line. Also keep in mind that even when I'm very meticulous about balancing out my DR, I gain something on the other of half a percent total DR. The difference between the two gemming strategies is really incredibly minimal. If cost isn't a big deal to you, feel free to play around with it and see what you like. I'm fond of getting the absolute most out of my points and I feel that balancing my DR does that, but again- any gains or losses are minuscule.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you have.