FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Loorna

[Frost] Hey guys! Check me out.... please. No, really.

Hello guys,

I started playing in May and this is my main (actually my only toon). I've been a 90 for about 8/10 weeks and I'd like to know if I'm going along the right path. Gear, gems, rotation - am I wasting spells, not playing effectively etc. 

(I have tried LB and find I just don't like it or I'm just not comfortable enough to use it, yet - this is my first video game ever fyi)

Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! I have included links to my warcraft logs and to my armory.  

Cheers!

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CfJ3zLpy6cmR4MPV#fight=30

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Loorna/simple

Heyy!

I'm only a beginner at Mage so I can only give you advice on the basics (much of it from reading other posts). The first thing that stands out is Frost Bomb, Malk is a single target fight, use living bomb for it and try keep your uptime 97%+. You're Invoker's Energy uptime is a bit low too, I'd say try re-casting Evocation when the IE buff has around 1-2 seconds left, that way the moment it drops off it gets reapplied almost instantly, pre-plan your movement for that so you don't get insta-gibbed whilst doing so tongue.png You can use addons to track the uptime for both, weakauras/tellmewhen all work.

Finally, watch your Frost Fire Bolts and Ice Lance casts. You should not cast either without their respective buff, Ice Lance does too little damage when it's not a Fingers of Frost proc, and having gotten 17 FoF, you cast 8 more than you should have (25 casts). As for FFB, you gained the buff 34 times and had 35 casts, but from (click frost fire bolts casts to see them):

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CfJ3zLpy6cmR4MPV#fight=30&type=casts&source=5&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24142235790.0.0.Mage%24false%2457761%5E0%24Separate%24%23909049%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24142235790.0.0.Mage%24false%24137590

it seems you hardcasted 4 of your Frost Fire Bolts. This means you only made use of 31/34 procs and the rest were either overwritten or missed. You can track those too with addons (I like to do that) or just react to them a bit faster smile.png

That's all I can say for your logs, I can't do much commenting on your CD usage because I'm very unstable with that.

Hope it helps smile.png

Edited by Lollerblazed

Thank you so much for taking time to respond. I use TMW and am (mostly) aware of the FFB hard cast mistakes - not so much the IL and not keeping the Evocation up.  

What addons do you suggest for the FFB/IL procs?

I know about LB in single target situations and, as of yet, experience a DPS drop when I switch because I'm just not used to it. Perhaps I need to practice with it in LFR more. 

Thank you again. smile.png

First time giving log advice, so it may not be completely thorough 

First, I'll start with talents

From a DPS perspective Ice Floes, would be the best choice. Blink should be able to cover it.

Moving on, Swap Ice Ward for Temporal Shield. I highly recommend this due to the fact that Temporal is off the GCD which is nice.

It does not provide you with a flat amount of healing like Ice Ward, but unless you really need that extra absorb pick Temporal.

Courtesy of Icy Veins, Oltier, and Akraen 

In Siege of Orgrimmar, here is what Oltier (one of our Mage moderators) advises for Normal encounters:

In Siege of Orgrimmar, here is what Akraen advises for Heroic encounters:

The internet really is great biggrin.png

Your CD usage is great

Right now this is all I can really help with, sorry for any inconveniences I may have caused

One more thing I strongly suggest that you switch from FB to LB/NT, because as you can see out of 28 fights it only pulls ahead on 3 (H Immer, N&H Galakras). 

Also when/if you switch you will need to understand the art of snapshotting which can also be found here at IV

Snapshotting made simple https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5231-general-faq-for-mages-snapshotting-macros/

Edited by Manashock
  • Like 2