Astronaught, on 01 October 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:
I have a question about Petrification + Overload... Is there a way to control either? Faster, slower, pause one...
Does energy continue building, stop building or reset if the boss turns to stone? Does Petrification continue stacking or stop building if the boss is turned to stone?
(I see that Petrification won't reset because the only way to get rid of it is by an Overload.)
If we cannot control energy generation, I'm assuming it's set up so that max energy is reached before max Petrification, otherwise everyone would wipe all the time...
My guess is this: Energy stops building but does not reset when the boss is stone. Petrification continues to stack no matter what. This means that we would need to keep the petrifying boss active by juggling him between the two non-petrifying bosses so his Overload happens before Petrification reaches 100. After Overload, petrification is reset, and energy is reset. Another boss will begin to cast petrification, and we'll need to pick up him and start juggling him between the other two. At this point, he will already have some energy built up from juggling the first petrifying boss around [which is why the same boss won't petrify twice in a row], so he should reach overload quicker than the first guy. Repeat juggling the boss that is casting petrify until they're dead.
I see two scenarios that would cause a wipe from this:
1. The boss that is casting petrify turns to stone. His energy stops building, but petrification continues to stack. We reach max petrify before Overload. We're stone. We wipe.
2. We mess up the juggling of the boss and we get an overload from the boss that is not casting petrify. We take massive damage and wipe. I can see this happening the most on the third petrifying boss if his energy was over 90% after the previous overload (because there will be a few seconds before he starts to cast Petrify while he is still gaining energy.
(3, not related to my questions above, we suck at healing and/or avoiding damage and wipe fro the bosses other abilities)
Please let me know if any of this information is incorrect. It seems like it should be right... but that's just me making assumptions, which has gotten my raid into trouble before
I'll do my best to answer you.
1) Once a Petrification has started, nothing except that guardian's Overload will stop it.
2) When a guardian is away from other guardians, he stops gaining Energy. But his Energy is NOT reset, it is just frozen until he starts gaining it again.
3) Yes, it takes less time for 0-100 Energy than it does for 0-100 Petrification stacks. The difference is about 20 seconds, so it should be plenty. The only time it's close is on the very first Petrification, because on subsequent ones, the Guardians most likely won't be started from 0 Energy.
I bolded a part of your post. That is perfectly correct. If this did not transpire clearly from the guide, please let me know and I will amend it.
Your wipe scenarios are correct. The first should never happen, basically. Even if you miss out on a few "Energy ticks" from the moving around of the bosses, it shouldn't be a problem. The second issue is really a non-issue, because the Overload damage isn't insta-kill damage anyway. Just don't make a habit of it.
Alyxandar, on 02 October 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:
So your Advice is to have the two non-petrifying Bosses swap, but would it not be simplier for the two tanks to swap the one you want to blow up?
The problem with the tanks swapping the one we want to "blow up" is that then, that boss ends up running
from tanking location to tanking location. This is annoying for melee DPS, if nothing else.
It's much simpler to keep that guardian in place, and switch around the non-petrifying ones.