Cross-realm guilds - Any thoughts / advice?

6 posts in this topic

I know there are multiple guilds out there that, since the beginning of WoW, had a presence on multiple servers and sometimes even both factions. Looking at how the new expansion is lining up, it seems that having a cross-realm guild is now a possibility. Sure you won't be able to do Mythic raids, but you can now pick from quite a huge pool of people from your faction to go take on a new raid.

A group of friends and myself are coming back to the game and find that our server has reduced to a failry low population, so we figured it would be a great opportunity to take advantage of this new feature in WoD and try to put together a regular raiding group that doesn't necessarily have to belong to the same server. It seems that tools like Openraid will provide a community to get recruitment started at least.

I would be interested in other people's thoughts on how to recruit a raid team that operates like this, as well as any thoughts or obstacles that you may think need to be overcome in order to make this successful. 

Currently I've just posted on several server forums, as well as in the guild recruitment areas of IcyVeins and Openraid. 

I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones thinking about doing this, has anyone else tried? any advice that you can offer?

P.S.: To any folks in Icy-Veins that may be reading this, it could be interesting to have a cross-realm recruitment forum.

Edited by Porth

I think they are definitely viable now what with the implementations that Blizzard has made.

It will be a lot harder to organise and maintain guild organisation but knowing what you need to do from the start should help.

Myself and my guild had similar problems - and tried to move server a few times (think we have a new home now) but obviously that costs ££ $$.

There will be a lot of players that are "stuck" on dead servers that should be interested.  I suppose you would need to encourage voice comms to try and get some sense of cohesion etc (thinking about outside of raids).

It will take a lot of doing and will be hard work but I wish you good luck!

With regards to the cross-realm recruitment forum (and I cant speak for Damien / Vlad) but I'm sure there would need to be plenty of activity before a new sub-forum was created (US and EU havent been split up even yet!)

The cohesion / chat system is a good point. I know that there are a few addons out there built for moving guild chat between servers, I could probably write one myself but not too inclined to doing so at the moment. However, I was hoping that the guild web page or the chat system in openraid would cover the ability to communicate that way.

Thanks for your notes.

Edited by Porth

This is something doable, as its basically what happened with the guild that I raid with my warlock in. There was a core 10 man, and the guild leader is someone with a good deal of experience and decided to host 25 man heroic runs with the core 10 going in, and filling the rest with experienced or qualified players from openraid. After a few weeks we're 9/14H and quite a few people are making server moves to play mythic when WoD comes out. Moving players is something that isnt required for you, and there are still more than half of our team that arent on our server with it working quite nicely. Openraid had a great pool of people to choose from to get started.

I think what can begin as a team +PUGS can evolve into something greater and like you Facade the PUGs then become part of the group.

My main concern would be around what makes a "guild".  For me its the togetherness etc.  If you can get everyone communicating over voice comms then tbh the chat ingame almost becomes obsolete.

I suppose a lot depends on how you want your guild to be between raids.  Personally (and I am by no means a progression raider might I add) its the guild chat / downtime between raids that have always helped my raid teams bond and this has always helped our performance.

How have you found the above Facade? Or have the players that are moving grown / bonded through the raids enough to want to move server and join fully?

Regarding the guild organization issue, you could decide with your buddies to split up to different realms, each one creating the same guild in a different realm and each of your friends being a GM of their subguild as well as that guild's link to the main guild. That way, each sub guild will always have access to an officer who's actually there in the same realm with them. Having trusted alts in the subguilds would also help with guild bank management. 

1 person likes this