FORUMS
Damien

Monk Leveling Guide

Guest Windwife

I have been using your leveling guide to level my monk and so far I am at 64. I found it extremely useful and even keep a printout of it next to my computer as I go along. Really great work!

The only additions I would make are that I can't stress enough how useful the daily visits to special monk training using Zen Pilgrimage every day are. The 1 hour experience buff is great and the practice sessions you have to complete are much better than training dummies. Also there are the profession trainers located on the side terrace as you head down to train which are useful when leveling professions, and a vendor, Brewmaster trainer, who sells better food with buffs useful to a monk. I stock up on these regularly.

I addition for those occasions when your target "runs away in fear" crackling jade lightening can be useful.

Thanks again for the great article. Love it.

I have been using your leveling guide to level my monk and so far I am at 64. I found it extremely useful and even keep a printout of it next to my computer as I go along. Really great work!

The only additions I would make are that I can't stress enough how useful the daily visits to special monk training using Zen Pilgrimage every day are. The 1 hour experience buff is great and the practice sessions you have to complete are much better than training dummies. Also there are the profession trainers located on the side terrace as you head down to train which are useful when leveling professions, and a vendor, Brewmaster trainer, who sells better food with buffs useful to a monk. I stock up on these regularly.

I addition for those occasions when your target "runs away in fear" crackling jade lightening can be useful.

Thanks again for the great article. Love it.

Thanks for this post.

Regarding the buff for going back to your trainer, I agree that it is lovely. It's already mentioned quite clearly (in my opinion) in the guide, so I'll leave that as is.

I improved the description of Crackling Jade Lightning a bit to include your suggested usage. Thank you!

Guest Jarinha

After a long time using and learning from Icy Veins amazing guides it's time to come forward and say thank you for all the work in putting all this incredibly useful information together.

Thanks. Posted Image

After a long time using and learning from Icy Veins amazing guides it's time to come forward and say thank you for all the work in putting all this incredibly useful information together.

Thanks. Posted Image

You are welcome!

Guest rapting

great guide. i would like to mention that expel harm, combined with Posted ImageSpinning Fire Blossom and crackling jade lightening is a great cobo to use on casters and for pulling mobs to you better then provoke imo. I can kill a good caster at distance by useing expel harm 2 fire blossoms and jade him to death before he can get a cast off. and i am level 72 now

great guide. i would like to mention that expel harm, combined with Posted ImageSpinning Fire Blossom and crackling jade lightening is a great cobo to use on casters and for pulling mobs to you better then provoke imo. I can kill a good caster at distance by useing expel harm 2 fire blossoms and jade him to death before he can get a cast off. and i am level 72 now

Thank you :)

"If you are worried about running out of bag space, you can simply make an alt character, send all your mats to it and leave them in the mailbox for until you need them."

Just remember that mail only stays in the mailbox for a month before it disappears and Game Masters may or may not be able to restore it for you. Don't risk it by forgetting to take the mail out.

Guest dashypookins

how do the stats weigh out for speed leveling (wind) using the 1h heirloom vs the staff heirloom)

Guest twinbear

i was more wondering which race os the best race for monks. This would be a great help in selecting for pve and pvp.

Guest Kyanee

Great guide, thank you! I am a new player (true newbie) and i can truly say i have learned tot play WOW quite fast thanks to this guide. I always keep it open in my browser when playing and check it every time i level up.

I haven't looked yet, but i hope there are more like this one for other classes i would like to try out after levelling my monk!

Thanks again!!

Guest Beercules

Great guide but as I was looking at the Heirloom items I was wondering about the weapon... isn't there an Agility Staff now instead of the mace that was suggested.

Great guide but as I was looking at the Heirloom items I was wondering about the weapon... isn't there an Agility Staff now instead of the mace that was suggested.

There is indeed an agility staff (inv_staff_29.jpgBurnished Warden Staff) which can be used by monks. I don't know which one is better, but since the staff is cheaper (3500 JP) than 2 maces (4350 JP) you might want to choose the staff.

Also one thing I noted in the guide is:

(you should remove them as soon as you reach level 80):

(you should remove them as soon as you reach level 85):

Unless they changed this, the heirloom items still gave extra experience points from level 80 to 81 (or 85 to 86). This means that you might want to keep the heirloom items that give extra exp just one level longer.

Guest Xyphorium

I'd like to mention that Spinning Fire Blossom is actually really good, at least from my experience. Currently being at level 65, and since I got it I used it. It does more damage than Blackout Kick, while costing less Chi. Currently not seeing any reason to use Blackout Kick over it.

Unless they changed this, the heirloom items still gave extra experience points from level 80 to 81 (or 85 to 86). This means that you might want to keep the heirloom items that give extra exp just one level longer.

No, I remember testing this in cata. The extra exp stop at 80/85.

I'd like to mention that Spinning Fire Blossom is actually really good, at least from my experience. Currently being at level 65, and since I got it I used it. It does more damage than Blackout Kick, while costing less Chi. Currently not seeing any reason to use Blackout Kick over it.

It will scale differently at 90. Blackout kick WILL be better.

Edited by Krazyito

Guest Xyphorium

It will scale differently at 90. Blackout kick WILL be better.

But this is a leveling guide, no?

But this is a leveling guide, no?

I see your point. The only other thing I can think of is the guide is preparing you to use the correct rotation for when you hit 90. OR Icy-veins did not expect that it would do more damage then Blackout kick since blackout kick is suppose to do more damage.

Edit: I forgot, as WW, Blackout kick will put a DoT if used behind the target and will heal you if used in front. . Thats the other reason to use it.

Edited by Krazyito

Guest Lindalcron

Excellent guide, thank you. This is something that should be added to all leveling guides. You can now update the JP BOA gear to cap out at 85 from the original 80. This costs the original item plus the same amount of JP points the original cost.

Guest mednik

You should use Expel Harm instead of Chi whenever you are lacking health.

Instead of Jab I guess.

Combat Conditioning Icon Combat Conditioning causes your Blackout Kick Icon Blackout Kick to heal you for 20% of your maximum health, each time you attack an enemy with it from the front.

20% of damage done, am I right? Would be pretty unkillable otherwise.

Heirloom vendors provide the following items of interest to Windwalker Monk (you should remove them as soon as you reach level 80):

Is it not the case that these items can be extended to use up to level 85 when using additional Justice Points with the original item to give you a new item that will be usable up to 85? I spent JPs at the vendor in SW with each item and it gave me a new identical item that is usable to 85. Also as far as the bonus buff 'Enlightenment' that you get as a quest each ten levels, do you recommend 'saving' them up to a certain point at which the stacked bonus XP can be more useful as far as XP gain? I am currently level 80 and have not used them, but am now looking for a prime point per say to use them. I know this is a 'general guide.' That being the case, are you purposely omitting situations currently being used like 'monkey runs' and the 300% xp potion that drops from Krol the Blade? I am asking primarily because I am wanting to know if you consider those not 'optimal' uses of time, or is it just because this is to be taken as a general guide.

On a side note, I have been in the Warcraft game and community since BC. I write as a contributor for two World of Warcraft news web sites. I say that to point out that I have been visiting icy-veins for quite a considerable length of time, and to highlight the undeniable fact that you guys here have very much 'upped' your sites validity as a premium community resource site. The time and effort you guys have put in to reach your current relevancy is indisputable and you should be highly commended by all that rely on these sites to play at the highest level. I for one now have you on my bookmarks bar for 'emergency' access lol. Thank you very much!

Edited by jtide55

Documentation Feedback:

1.8.1. (Last dot note)

• Being at maximum capcaity causes any additional Energy you would generate to be wasted.

Change "capcaity" to "capacity"

Overall this is a great looking guide which certainly answers a lot of my Monk leveling questions.

Cheers