FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
NoamNatan

DPS suggestion for WoD

Hello fellow DKs

i have a DK alt which i didn't play since SoO was out.. long time ago :)

a few days ago my friend came back to play and he boosted a DK

so i played with my own to teach him how to play

and the passion and enjoyment of playing my DK came back to me :D

now it became active and i'm gearing it up

from what i read i understand that Frost 2H seems to be top in DK's specs

but i played very little time as frost, mostly as Unholy and Blood

and i like Unholy more then Frost

do you know if is it going to change in WoD or i should adjest to Frost play style?

Actually with the recent changes, Unholy is simming and performing better than 2h Frost. It's not by much, like 200-300 DPS without tier gear sims, but both are completely viable as of now. There might be some more changes to look out for, but if things stay the same then you should be fine to stick with Unholy.

The way it stands right now I'm looking at probably playing unholy at least for the first tier of WoD. gearing wise Unholy looks to be a the closest match to blood. Even though I'll be mainspec'ing dps for the first time since BC (obviously not on a DK back then), it's still important for me to keep a solid tank set going at all times.

Stat weight for Unholy is currently looking like Mastery > Strength > Multistrike > Crit = haste = versatility

I like this for two reasons. Mastery is unholy's best stat, which coincides with bloods best stat, where as 2h and dw frost are both looking like Str is their best stat currently (dw would want mastery as their top secondary, but gem and enchant for str). and the second reason is, after mastery everything else is pretty much equal. That's cool for both ease of gearing and also for customizing to your play style. want a extra haste to play more spammy? it's viable. want to be less spammy and instead go for higher crit or versatility? your dps should come out almost exactly the same. 

I'm actually really looking forward to being able to play Unholy again. Having been stuck as Frost since I came back to the game, it's a breath of fresh air being able to play Unholy. Going to miss the snapshotting, but with the changes to DKs in WoD, Unholy feels the most fluid in terms of "rotation". Plus the set bonuses are pretty nice for a change.