Topic Details

Rogue Leveling Guide

14 replies to this topic Started by Damien, Sep 25 2012 02:10 AM comments rogue leveling

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
This thread is for comments about our Rogue leveling guide.

Join us on IRC! | server: irc.quakenet.org | port: 6667 | channel: #icy-veins

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Guest_Kozz_*
  • Guest_Kozz_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
I think that subterfuge is a better tier 1 talent for assassination. You can cheap shot, ambush, and garrote every time, which leaves mobs with very little health, and for the most part allows you to bypass applying rupture to mobs because you get the energy boost from garrote.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Guest_Soyo_*
  • Guest_Soyo_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Rogue combat guide for leveling | Leveled as a combat rogue since closed beta vanilla.

single target mobs
revealing
ss
ss
eviscerate
repeat

keep up with deadly momentum glyph
1. slice n dice
2. recuperate (with leeching you're invincible towards mobs if you dont get jumped by a gank party)

in bigger groups activate blade flurry
Dont bother with rupture unless it's a "boss"

Take shadowstep instead of preparation
Mobility => Cds for pvp
Also you can avoid dropping from high heights by shadowstepping to a target on the ground.

Save vanish, evasion, sprint, blind etc for incoming ganking attempts or if you prefer ganking. Abuse shadowstep as much as you can, if it's not on cooldown then you've failed. (closing the gap between you and new targets saves 2-5 secs, which in the end becomes minutes, hours or days if you need that much time).

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

I think that subterfuge is a better tier 1 talent for assassination. You can cheap shot, ambush, and garrote every time, which leaves mobs with very little health, and for the most part allows you to bypass applying rupture to mobs because you get the energy boost from garrote.

Rogue combat guide for leveling | Leveled as a combat rogue since closed beta vanilla.

single target mobs
revealing
ss
ss
eviscerate
repeat

keep up with deadly momentum glyph
1. slice n dice
2. recuperate (with leeching you're invincible towards mobs if you dont get jumped by a gank party)

in bigger groups activate blade flurry
Dont bother with rupture unless it's a "boss"

Take shadowstep instead of preparation
Mobility => Cds for pvp
Also you can avoid dropping from high heights by shadowstepping to a target on the ground.

Save vanish, evasion, sprint, blind etc for incoming ganking attempts or if you prefer ganking. Abuse shadowstep as much as you can, if it's not on cooldown then you've failed. (closing the gap between you and new targets saves 2-5 secs, which in the end becomes minutes, hours or days if you need that much time).

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I've added most of them in the guide ;)

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Guest_crazybear_*
  • Guest_crazybear_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Your subtlety leveling guide suggests using shadowdance as a dps cooldown and to spam ambush, but given that ambush requires you to be behind the target it's useless in that manner unless the AI is stunned or attacking someone else.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

Your subtlety leveling guide suggests using shadowdance as a dps cooldown and to spam ambush, but given that ambush requires you to be behind the target it's useless in that manner unless the AI is stunned or attacking someone else.

Thank you for this suggestion. I probably had dungeons in mind when I wrote this section for Subtlety Rogues :P The issue has now been fixed, as you can see ;)

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Guest_Madeinyashiro_*
  • Guest_Madeinyashiro_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
What king of weapon to use ? Double Dagger ? One slow weapon and the other one a-quick-one ?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Guest_Bernie_*
  • Guest_Bernie_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
I find several things wrong with the sub levelling guide. Opening with ambush - garotte is much better, especially if you put premeditation up. This shoud give you 5 combo poits to use on a kidney shot. You can then get behind the target and spam backstab and the target will likely be dead (of course, this is assuming you have slice and dice and recuperate up). If theyre not dead, throw a hemo up, gouge, and backstab again (this works only if you take dirty tricks, which i think is a great talent for levelling, specifically for this reason). I have been getting 68k+ crits on my backstabs, making it the go-to attack whenever possible. Another advantage to throwng a 5 poiny kidney up is then you can shadow dance and spam ambush. You dont want to open with cheap shot because using it will put kidney shot on dimininshing returns (yes, it does this in pve. i have checked.) with kidney shot, making a full kindey only last 3 seconds. I promise, using this rotation makes things die so fast, you'll think you're playing a dk or a warrior.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

What king of weapon to use ? Double Dagger ? One slow weapon and the other one a-quick-one ?

For Assassination and Subtlety, you want daggers in both slots (note that all daggers now have the same speed). For Combat Rogues, you want a 2.6 weapon in your main-hand slot and either a dagger or another 2.6 weapon in your off-hand slot.

I find several things wrong with the sub levelling guide. Opening with ambush - garotte is much better, especially if you put premeditation up. This shoud give you 5 combo poits to use on a kidney shot. You can then get behind the target and spam backstab and the target will likely be dead (of course, this is assuming you have slice and dice and recuperate up). If theyre not dead, throw a hemo up, gouge, and backstab again (this works only if you take dirty tricks, which i think is a great talent for levelling, specifically for this reason). I have been getting 68k+ crits on my backstabs, making it the go-to attack whenever possible. Another advantage to throwng a 5 poiny kidney up is then you can shadow dance and spam ambush. You dont want to open with cheap shot because using it will put kidney shot on dimininshing returns (yes, it does this in pve. i have checked.) with kidney shot, making a full kindey only last 3 seconds. I promise, using this rotation makes things die so fast, you'll think you're playing a dk or a warrior.

Thank you for this comment. I have amended the guide to reflect what you said :)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guest_Guest_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR

For Assassination and Subtlety, you want daggers in both slots (note that all daggers now have the same speed). For Combat Rogues, you want a 2.6 weapon in your main-hand slot and either a dagger or another 2.6 weapon in your off-hand slot.

Thank you for this comment. I have amended the guide to reflect what you said Posted Image

Just need to amend the opener...the ambush/garotte only works if they take subterfuge. If they dont, opening with garotte is preferrable as it applies find weakness

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France

Just need to amend the opener...the ambush/garotte only works if they take subterfuge. If they dont, opening with garotte is preferrable as it applies find weakness

When it comes to leveling up as a Subtlety Rogue, I'm not certain there is any point taking anything else than Subterfuge as a Tier 1 talent.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guest_Bob_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Is there a mention of required or sugested percent of hit needed for rogues.I prefer combat but seem to have a terible time getting enough hit at level 85-88. And havent found a trinket even though most of my gear has hit ?

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
While leveling up, you really shouldn't bother with Hit Rating. Even at level 90, you will still miss a lot of melee attacks because it simply is not worth it to stack Hit Rating beyond a certain cap.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Guest_Roo the Hunter_*
  • Guest_Roo the Hunter_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
First, I wanted to thank not only you Damien, but also the other folks who wrote in on the forums with their insights. I played a combat rogue since TBC (as a distraction from playing my BM hunter) and enjoy him immensely. But with MoP, I haven't been able to figure out all the changes, and enjoyment of playing a rouge went the way of the doo-doo bird - extinct. Poor Wee Willy became a citizen of Storm Wind serving as a mail/bank toon. No more! Tonight, I am going back home, re=spec him to the thoughts and ideas here, and start his epic climb back to 90 and to pvp and to raiding. Thank you folks!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guest_Alex_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
While the talent choices presented are great for killing mobs. However, most quests require a lot of movement around. I really believe taking Nightstalker and Burst of Speed give much more benefit overall, especially in quests that involve "indoor" places like caves.

Reply to this topic

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users