FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
grumbachr

Group/Guild Loyalty?

How do you guys feel about guild loyalty? Are you someone that easily moves from guild to guild  or do you try and stick with one no matter what's happening? 

I find myself in a group that has a very stable base, but that base seems to be split between two realms. We have managed to run SoO 10m N for many weeks in a row now with only having to pug one person and lately that seems to alway be the same person.  The other thing I like about the group is there is no drama surrounding loot.

However, we're stuck  we are have been stuck on Garrosh for several weeks now, with no real signs of improvement.   I desperately want to get this kill in before the expansion is released.  I would also like to find a more active group to play with.   This guild is just not very active, and it is very stable.  

Do I risk moving on, to find tons of drama and uncertainty, or do I stick it out and hope for the best? 

Is guild hoping common do other expect it?  

That is a very delicate situation indeed. End of the day, do you want progress more than you want to be with those guys, or do you enjoy the social aspect of your guild more than you want the kill?

To be fair, if your guild can't kill garrosh normal one year after SoO came live, you shouldn't expect any kind of impressing progress in WoD either; will that make you unhappy?

You need to analyse your priorities really, I'm afraid nobody can do that for you.

I've been playing wow for about 8 years now. in that time I've probably been through 30 different guilds. some of them lasted a year or more, some of them lasted 2 weeks before I knew they weren't the right place for me. and there are some friends that I met in game 5+ years ago that I still keep in contact with either through battle tag or on facebook even though we haven't been in a guild together or often even on the same server anymore, in a very long time.

The bottom line is you should play the game for what you want to play it for. if progression is most important to you then find a guild where you can see more progression. if longtime friends are most important then stick together with the same group. but just because you go to a new guild doesn't mean you can't keep in contact with your old friends.

• Like 3

Both good answers above!

Ultimately you pay to play the game - and you play the game to relax and enjoy yourself while you are doing it.

If it no longer becomes fun - or it no longer becomes enjoyable then you need to ask yourself why.

If the guild you are with are really your friends then they should respect your decision to push your own personal progression if you have already given them ample time to the group itself.

I always had a friend who was 10x the player any of me or my guild were - and he really wanted to push his own progression and push for server 1sts etc.  I respected him more for telling me straight how he felt - knowing that on the social aspect he could come back to us - play his alts with us / chat with us.

Maybe you could have that sort of relationship with your guild?

If you want to entirely break free and start fresh then now is the best sort of time to do it.  Search forums / guild recruitment on here - be clear about your aspirations (Garrosh kill for starters).  A lot of guilds are preparing for WoD and want players to become part of the group now rather than at launch.

Although you can never be 100% sure - research is always best when looking for a guild.  Personally I have never been one for guild hopping and those that I do know that have done it sometimes regret not being in a more stable environment.  But try to make an informed choice as you don't want to be stuck hopping between 3-4+ guilds between now and WoD launch as you may end up stuck out on your own entirely and struggle for a raid spot early on in the expansion!

Let us know how you get on anyway!

• Like 1

Hello,

This is my take on the matter. You evolve as a player. You begin with difficulty handling immerseus normal mechanics and now siegrcraftrr HC is easy. But not everyone takes part in that evolution at the same speed. And soneone who dpes 14/14 HC has no interest at a 5/14 normal. As you evolve u see yourself as the best in the group. You are no longer challenged. If thats combined with a break in progression u look for a more challenging environment

I have been in a couple of raiding guilds, in my experience raiding is more fun with friends than it is with people you barely know.

I have played in a couple of HC progression guilds in the past and I dont really like the seriousness that comes along with that.

I know that most guilds are not exacty like that but when I played raiding at that level I couldnt stand the fact that I had to justify every day I couldnt come to the raid.

After that I've been lookign into casual raiding and this is (imo) way more fun.

to have 9 people that you know and trust is key. The fact that your guildies are not being difficult about loot is also a pro. (trust me, loads of guilds ninja the heck out of any item that looks interesting)

If I were in your shoes I would try to remain with the group you are in now. If your group cant get garrosh down, work on peoples rotations, gear and keep practicing.

If you reaaly do want the kill and the guild will not make it, you can always try to be a pug yourself and find a group in the chat channels. if you know tactics that shouldnt be too hard.

GL with garrosh.

Shine

Thanks for all the great input, very much appreciated.  

I've got some input from one of the other raiders that is in out group but not our guild. It has been enlightening, and not necessarily a negative way, but in a way that helps me understand things.  

Some variables that I'm dealing with are making this more difficult,  being late to the game (starting in MoP), late to raiding, and not really knowing anyone that plays the game (the social aspect of the game is challenging) and being old. You young people don't have patience for use old guys.  I've also had some very back luck in the past with picking guilds and or feeling like I was stuck.   

I'm planning on sticking it out with this guild  while having some alts take up residence in other guilds to maybe see if one has more to offer.  

Thanks again for the input.

• Like 1

*Update*

After this weekend I'm starting to have serious doubts about the group I've been raiding with.  After only taking about 4 maybe 5 hours of play time to go 13/14 SoO N,(only 1 wipe each Thok and Siegecrafter) we got stuck yet again at Garrosh.  Extremely, frustrating as all I want is this one kill.  The people are very nice but as a group we have some fundamental flaw that we can't seem to identify and fix to make this kill happen. 

So I think the search has begun, unless some group here wants to take me on a charity run for my Garrosh kill.   

That's really surprising. your guild is all decently geared. 565+ should be more than enough to make easy work of Garrosh and cheese half the mechanics.

Where are you wiping? are tanks dying? are people dropping desecrated weapons in the group? is it adds from empowered whirls? MC'd not getting interupted?

@Berlinia  thanks but I'm in the US.  

@Storm it seems to be the empowered MC and interrupts that are getting us now.   The actual guild I'm in is experiencing a very heavy dose of  end of expansion inactivity.   This raid group is split between a couple guilds I'm kind of the new guy.   The part that sucks to think about losing,  is that his group is truly drama free and everyone is on time and committed to the schedule. 

My raid team is sort of anti-freebies unless you want to buy heroic garrosh wink.png . But I'm probably not raiding this week, so I could come along and help if you guys have a spot open, and as long as you aren't raiding at like 1am or something.

buying a heroic Garrosh is tempting but your guild has two destruction locks that i recognize from these forums. i will not subject myself to that type of humiliation.  tongue.png

It's frustrating - I know how you feel to a certain extent.  I had a year+ out midway through ToT (got curve then went on break so didnt really gear)  and came back about a month ago.

Managed to gear soley through Ordos and I managed to find a PuG that did 8 bosses.  Been searching for Garrosh normal groups and players have always been struggling (albeit PuGs rather than an organised guild group).

Finally got invited to a friends group - did my job and we one shotted it (after being frustrated with others for a month or so).

Like you've touched on a lot is end expansion troubles!  A lot of people like us hunting for the kill after coming back on break and a few people trying to gear / play alts without anyone really pushing content.

If you feel that the group now won't be able to make the steps you want early in WoD then maybe keep searching I guess!

Shame your'e US or I'd help where I could EU side too :P

Good luck and hope you get the kill and the mount!!

I have played wow for 8 years, i was in a guild for 2 weeks when i started left that one and have been in the same one so pretty much 8 years in the same guild, we raid and work hard on 10man progression but players come and go pretty much because they want to progress quicker. We have our share of drama but i guess that comes with most guilds. I personally prefer doing stuff as a guild than pugging. As for Garrosh we wiped over 100 times on him and eventually killed him and now we are 8/14hc and no other people i would rather have done it with smile.png

Edited by Moredotsu

Garrosh is a weird fight, especially to those new to raiding I feel. We cleared Siege back in January after all of our raid team being "late" to the patch (and expansion), but the empowered MC did cause a lot of wipes.

If you're looking for tips though, we solved the issue by "pairing" up with another player, so if Player X is paired with Player Y, they would be in charge of interrupting their partner. It was really clean that way, and it might help your group!

Hey guys,

I am new to Wow (playing roughly 4 month) and right now I am in a quite strange guild. We got like 200 members and there maybe 20-30 active members. And between those members there is no real communication. If I got questions a few are answered but the most stuff I answered by research via internet. For me this state is really sad because I began play with a friend who now isn't able to play anymore and I am alone now - enjoining the game. I would like to be part of a raiding/PvP guild. I got nearly all PvP set items (ilvl 522) and I am looking forward to do some PvP guild stuff. However I would also like to try raiding. Please let me know if someone of you is part of such a guild.

Scaremonger (EU) :)

I also thought about founding a guild :/ (Does it even make sense?!?)

Edited by Scaremonger
  • Like 1

@Scaremonger

I have been in the same position you are and I know how it can get frustrating trying to find a group that's active.  There is no real short answer to help resolve it problem.   It's hard to break into an established group.  Especially when it comes to raiding, you want to do it, but your character isn't ready yet.  Unfortunately it's just so late in the game (MoP) that gearing up and raiding SoO is going to be next to impossible.  Look to the future and start planning for WoD, is my suggestion. 

I would suggest spending time looking in trade for guilds recruiting. Before joining a guild ask a few questions to see if they fit what you're looking for, like time zone, time players are active even ask if it's an older or younger group.   If you have alts spread them out into different guilds to get a feel for more than one guild at a time.  I'm sure with a little work you'll soon find a group that right for you and have lots of fun in WoD. 

• Like 1

This expansion has been pretty huge for me. I've been in 4 guilds, with plenty of offers to join others.

I too, am someone who finds it hard to 'jump ship' to better guilds. Each guild was one where I made friends with the others. We weren't there just for raiding. We would hang out on TS3/Vent/Mumble and do PvP or old raids or whatever together.

Each time, like Berlinia pointed out, I found myself standing at the top of the guild in terms of skill and drive to succeed, and found myself becoming progressively more agitated and disappointed in my reluctance to leave. Each time I eventually cut ties and moved on, making huge jumps in progress each time.

I went from 2/16H in MSV/HoF/ToES to 12/13H inToT to 14/14H within 3 months in SoO. I had offers to join a guild with World First potential a few months ago, but ultimately turned them down.

Why? A few reasons; I knew I wouldn't have time to commit to 7 days a week for extreme hours each day, having to compete for my spot against a roster of likely 30-40+ people even in 20 man. I am also extremely happy where I am right now, the people (as in every guild) are fantastic. We play WoW/LoL/DotA/CS:GO and countless other games here and there. We are friends and I genuinely enjoy their company, most of them at least!

I'm at the point where I am content with my progress. If I were still unemployed or rich enough to devote myself to an extreme schedule, I'd likely have made that jump to the top tier, but thankfully I decided against that, and can't be happier.

So, over the course of the expansion, I've been in your situation 3 times, and each time I waited TOO LONG before I eventually cut ties. Each time I wished I had made the jump sooner. I doubt my situation is unique, so make the plunge and find a better progressed guild. You'll have more room to grow, and I bet you'll end up in the same situation 6 months from now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...

• Like 1

Really enjoying this thread!

Scaremonger there are ALOT of those 20-30 players active with 300 or so members that say they are "social" guilds - yet they are anything but social.  It's made worse by the end of the expansion as a lot of people are doing their own thing, whether it's farming or grinding gold, levelling an alt - some completing the legendary questline etc - so the game is a bit disjointed.

Try and find yourself (or create) a guild that is planning ahead - looking forward to WoD and try and ask them what they are doing what they are about like grumbachr said.

I've had, um, 5 total guilds, and mostly concurrent for alts.  I got lucky when I stumbled on a certain guild that completely meets my needs.  Sometimes, you just find the right fit.

Scaremonger there are ALOT of those 20-30 players active with 300 or so members that say they are "social" guilds - yet they are anything but social. It's made worse by the end of the expansion as a lot of people are doing their own thing, whether it's farming or grinding gold, levelling an alt - some completing the legendary questline etc - so the game is a bit disjointed.

That's kinda what my guild is like right now. We recently started revamping the guild, but before that, we had 950+ members, yet rarely had more than 30-40 people on at any given time. We've downsized to ~800 right now and we redid our officer requirements so that stuff actually gets done (guild flex runs, pvp, legacy content runs, etc.). I've taken the roll of doing log analysis for my guild in the hope that we can get a core raid group for Warlords. All the while I've been doin normals with another group (I was a PuG for a guild on another server a few weeks ago and was invited back) that has yet to kill 10N Garrosh (they've killed him before, but their group kinda broke up over the summer). The group is a lot of fun to be with, but more than once I've asked myself do I want to stay with these guys, or do I want to get into heroic SoO (not now, with WoD so close and the pre-patch even closer). And on top of that I now have the question of do I stick it out with my guild (which even with ~800 people I still have to use the raid finder to fill a flex group). I'm not lookin at doing hardcore progression, but I do want progression nonetheless, and I'm not sure what plans my current raid group has or how a potential guild group turns out. Edited by Orthios

Guild loyalty is very important, but it works both ways. The guild must provide things you are looking for as well. I tranferred to hyjal to join a casual 25man raiding guild, which was very nice but way too casual for me and frowned upon raiders pugging with anyone else, which was the last straw for me, g/quit after getting #$&ed out by GM. The guild struggled to progress at all, then prevented me from having fun and progressing personally. I joined another guild on same server. Made some great friends and progressed nicely. Hit a wall at garrosh as well. We had 286 wipes on 25 man. Some of us pugged ahead but ALWAYS made our main toons available for any scheduled raids. The GM is fine with that as long as we are signed up and on when needed. It actually helped with some of the garrosh strat adjustements and heroic strats to run with another group and bring back the knowledge to our group. But there were times I was literally boiling inside cause we we couldnt down garrosh, but thats where the "loyalty" kicks in. We finally downed him as guild, took a pic in the shrine on our wolves and proceeded on heroics. It doesn't look like your in the main raid team in your guild as they are past Heroic Marlkorok, perhaps on the alt team killing time b4 WoD. If you dont have a garry kill get one this weekend on oqueue or sign up for Cy's monday night last chance kill.  When WoD hits your guild will surely be busy

• Like 1

Sorry but what?! 286 wipes on 25 man Garrosh Normal is honestly mind boggling. You went beyond loyalty and into the realm of madness there. Props to you for sticking around but that is taking it to the extreme.

For reference, I progressed Heroic on that boss twice due to reforming my old guild a few months after clearing it in December, and both times took between 100-150 wipes.

If you're taking that long to kill a boss on Normal, the guild is likely suffering from extreme lack of leadership. You literally must have just thrown bodies at the boss until he somehow died, because had you at least discussed tactics with the entire group you would have cut that number down by half at the very least.

I'm genuinely curious - how did you take 286 wipes?

• Like 1