FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Balerior

New Prot Paladin

Hi all!

I've been a massive fan of icy-veins for it helping me with my different classes and I'm currently struggling with my newly dinged Prot Pala!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chamber-of-aspects/Balerior/advanced

Here is my character and I've been doing some LFR's and found that my threat seems to be quite low and that I struggle to keep aggro in multipacks (Galakras) and single target occasionally even if I do burst some dps cooldowns to help myself.
I follow the rotations as mentioned in the rotation guide but I'm at loss so was hoping someone would be able to help me out with any tips or let me know if its just down to my gear (Damn you timeless!)

Many thanks in advance!

Do you possibly have any logs for the LFR and raids you were participating in? This will help with fully assessing your performance. Sometimes if you play with exceptionally geared players, their dps is so strong that it may be very difficult to sustain the aggro necessary. At this point you can tell them to dps slower laugh.png laugh.png

But seriously, some logs will help a lot for us before we can really give some credible feedback.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/chamber_of%20aspects/balerior

This will do an excellent job of reforging/gemming/enchanting your gear. Sadly it doesnt think you want the mastery to boots enchant, so you have to click on the +175 haste in the boots slot, and change it to the 140 mastery + runspeed manually.

Also you have Glyph of Focused shield on, which is only good for single target. Youll have Galakras threat with that glyph on, and personally I dont believe you should bother with it while gaining experience as a tank, so I recommend switching it for something else. Blinding Light will let you AoE stun mobs on almost every fight, so it does have uses.

After this, I cant tell since there are no logs, but bad threat generation means you're not doing your rotation perfectly, so try to look at the Prot Paladin guide on the website again, and see what you're missing. There's an AoE section too, so make sure you take note of it.

As an aside, Galakras will always give you trouble, even if you're perfect. You'll have no vengeance and everyone AoEs hard right away. It's really their fault, but you still have to work your hardest and taunt things to get somewhere.

This is gonna sound really really silly, and I mean no offense, but a very common error I've noticed is Righteous Fury may not be up.  That would definitely contribute to not holding aggro.

• Like 1

This is gonna sound really really silly, and I mean no offense, but a very common error I've noticed is Righteous Fury may not be up.  That would definitely contribute to not holding aggro.

I do this often.

• Like 1

I do this quite often myself since I tend to switch specs quite a bit. To help remind myself to activate RF, I created a Weak Aura that takes up about half the screen to let me know I need to activate it.

As for the OP's aggro issues while fully functional, prot pallys AoE threat generators are bit weaker than some of the other tanks and can create an issue for the best tanks when someone is determined to DPS as hard as they can. The dead time between packs does not help matters either, especially for the tower tank.

• Like 2

Oh right, I pick up Holy Prism on Galakras if I'm not on towers just for some initial AoE threat. Helps a fair bit.

Only other advice I can give from my experience (only doing LFR in SoO) is to make sure u have a good nameplate addon like TidyPlates which will allow you to see who you are loosing aggro on or have lost aggro on. This will allow you to focus that mob to regain threat a bit quicker. 

I typically don't have much problem with Galakras as long as the dps isn't slacking and each pack dies just as or before the next spawns. But using the tactics I stated before keeps everything in proper order. A taunt or an Avenger's Shield is usually enough to bring them back.

If you are tanking along side a brewmaster... just forget AoE threat. I cannot for the life of me get any threat when running with one. Even ones that are significantly lower than me.

I find bears and DKs also do that to me. Ive been tanking with another paladin for so long it felt wonderful, the second anything else came along I felt like I was useless for threat, and had to fight my life off just to maintain it over them. Even when outdps'ing them a fair margin. They just get so much threat for no reason.

• Like 1

That's funny, ever since my pally cotank grabbed the DPS legendary, he smokes my warrior on AoE threat, and I've got ten ilvl on him.  Single target is the opposite.  I've given up on figuring it out at this point, and I'll just worry about WoD.

That's funny, ever since my pally cotank grabbed the DPS legendary, he smokes my warrior on AoE threat, and I've got ten ilvl on him.  Single target is the opposite.  I've given up on figuring it out at this point, and I'll just worry about WoD.

Warrior is the one class I didn't list ;)