FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Niix

Hunter 6.0 Transition Guide.

You forgot Quilen's give a Battle Rez in addition to additional Critical Strike Chance. Thought you might like to add it to your list!

It's under battle Resurrection.

I am still happy with BM spec feeling the most natural. But will definitely have to give my other hunter specs a go. Just gotta remember to put kill command more into my rotation. I keep arcane shot dumping and it hurts the dps soooo much. Sigh. :p This can be blamed on all of mop using SV spec. :p .

But with 72.09% mastery at lvl 90 currently due to gear and with that adaption spec at lvl 100. BM may be a good spec after all. We shall see. :)

I am still happy with BM spec feeling the most natural. But will definitely have to give my other hunter specs a go. Just gotta remember to put kill command more into my rotation. I keep arcane shot dumping and it hurts the dps soooo much. Sigh. tongue.png This can be blamed on all of mop using SV spec. tongue.png .

But with 72.09% mastery at lvl 90 currently due to gear and with that adaption spec at lvl 100. BM may be a good spec after all. We shall see. smile.png

Agreed. I Think with a little more tuning (not much) BM will easily be as good if not better than MM on a good portion of the fights. I don't hold that same level of confidence for SV though since SV is missing a hard hitting CD and no execute style ability (buff Crows all you want, it's not gonna fix SV as a whole). Sadly, I don't see Blizzard being able to fix SV this tier (tier 17 that is).

One thing that will help me out is i got Arcturis the other week finally after 2-3 years on and off trying to get him. The spirit dps bear from grizzly hills.

Now tossing up whether to switch from Troll to Orc or not for the pet damage buff plus the secondary Orc damage bonus.

Any advice would be great on the race change. Advice being whether to switch or not lol. ;)

P.S. Also sorry to revive a semi old thread.

Agreed. I Think with a little more tuning (not much) BM will easily be as good if not better than MM on a good portion of the fights. I don't hold that same level of confidence for SV though since SV is missing a hard hitting CD and no execute style ability (buff Crows all you want, it's not gonna fix SV as a whole). Sadly, I don't see Blizzard being able to fix SV this tier (tier 17 that is).

BM definitely will need more tuning, but there's another way of deciding which spec to take for certain fights. 

Marksman

MM currently is the only Hunter spec that's DPS takes a dive when Hunter is forced to move a lot.

MM also has problem with immediate damage to several weak targets, since our only instants are GT and Chimaera, and both are normally used on cooldown, so they won't be readily available. 

The upside is highest theoretical single target DPS, and zero penalties for target switching. In fact, Careful Aim even incentivizes it.

So MM will be very effective in fights with one big or several medium health targets and medium movement. I haven't previewed WoD's raids and dungeons, but I expect this will be the majority of fights.

Even if MM is penalized for movement more than other hunters, we still can move much more freely than other ranged damage dealers, and it's totally possible to move 50% of the time while still having 100% uptime on mastery. 

Beast Mastery

BM is the only spec that's penalized for target movement or target switching, because pet is dumb and slow. Blink Strikes and Kill Command charge and pet sprint help with that, but are not a cure. BM will also have a problem if the target is for any reason can't be reached by melee pet (SoO Garrosh Siege Engineer, for example). Come to think of it, it would be cool for BM to have a ranged pet, but that's wishful thinking. 

So BM will be preferred for fights where you need to move a lot, but there's little to no target switching, and the target itself is stationary.  

Survival

And lastly, SV is the spec that's completely impervious to any movement-related penalties, as SV will want to use Lone Wolf anyway. SV's rotation is ultra easy to hold, so if the battle is very hectic, reaching highest possible SV DPS will be easier than with either of other specs, even if that highest potential is lower. 

Now tossing up whether to switch from Troll to Orc or not for the pet damage buff plus the secondary Orc damage bonus.

Any advice would be great on the race change. Advice being whether to switch or not lol. wink.png

Only switch race for aesthetics. Difference in DPS between races is so small that it's likely one sneeze during raid will nullify any advantage you might have had because of that. There is a subtle difference, but it's not worth it unless you're in super progressive raid team, aiming for world first kills. 

Edited by Iridar

I agree with you Iridar on the BM side of things and Niix just did a hunter race sim DPS ranking test and Orc did top the charts for BM. Troll which i am came in 4th. Even tho when you look at the sim stats it was by about 200 dps difference but that could be the difference between boss at 10% in WoD/a wipe as well vs boss being dead. Hmmmm. Gotta see if i can spare the $25-$30 tomorrow lol. tongue.png

Edited by gumble85

I'd honestly be willing to say there's no reason not to be marks this tier. A MM hunter moving the entire fight with a 0% uptime on Sniper Training is still going to out DPS a SV / BM hunter.

• Like 2

I'm glad I found this site just awhile back (right before wod).  Looking through these posts, I've been on the fence about MM spec.  This is the spec I've played the most, and the one I'm comfortable with.  That said, I also do not like how many things were taken out.  It does feel as if they were going for oversimplified rotations...almost as if they were making a console game.

That aside, I've been a bit confused in terms of stats post wod.  There seems to be an emphasis on mastery in this thread, and yet the majority of the gear I've found while leveling so far, seems to replace mastery (and crit for that matter) with multistrike and versatility.  That leaves me questioning where stat prioritization needs to be.

I'm intending to keep MM as primary spec, but offspec is most certainly going to be BM.  In the past, I hadn't cared much for BM..cause really, against raid bosses back at that point...a pet really didn't last long at any given time.  The common consensus, at least on my server, was that BM was useful as a leveling spec...but not a raiding spec.  It would seem in WoD that is a different story.

It's nice, if for no other reason, to be able to swap out specs for a change of pace.  If this thread is still watched, could anyone elaborate on stat priority ... and when/if it changes between leveling and once you hit 100?  ty 

I'm glad I found this site just awhile back (right before wod).  Looking through these posts, I've been on the fence about MM spec.  This is the spec I've played the most, and the one I'm comfortable with.  That said, I also do not like how many things were taken out.  It does feel as if they were going for oversimplified rotations...almost as if they were making a console game.

That aside, I've been a bit confused in terms of stats post wod.  There seems to be an emphasis on mastery in this thread, and yet the majority of the gear I've found while leveling so far, seems to replace mastery (and crit for that matter) with multistrike and versatility.  That leaves me questioning where stat prioritization needs to be.

I'm intending to keep MM as primary spec, but offspec is most certainly going to be BM.  In the past, I hadn't cared much for BM..cause really, against raid bosses back at that point...a pet really didn't last long at any given time.  The common consensus, at least on my server, was that BM was useful as a leveling spec...but not a raiding spec.  It would seem in WoD that is a different story.

It's nice, if for no other reason, to be able to swap out specs for a change of pace.  If this thread is still watched, could anyone elaborate on stat priority ... and when/if it changes between leveling and once you hit 100?  ty 

Check out the pinned thread regarding hunters. It has all the information you're looking for.