FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Krazyito

Haste and DoTs

So I know that dots are now Dynamic with your stats and I also know that haste will noe give partial ticks in between 'breakpoints'.

My question is, what happens if you get a haste proc in the middle of your dot? (I know in general it shouldn't mess up anyone's rotation) I just kinda want to know what the DoT does.

Does it just speed up its tick rate? What about the partial tick? Is it just proportional to what it would have been if the dot was at that haste the whole duration? 

So I know that dots are now Dynamic with your stats and I also know that haste will noe give partial ticks in between 'breakpoints'.

My question is, what happens if you get a haste proc in the middle of your dot? (I know in general it shouldn't mess up anyone's rotation) I just kinda want to know what the DoT does.

Does it just speed up its tick rate? What about the partial tick? Is it just proportional to what it would have been if the dot was at that haste the whole duration? 

From my understanding, if, say, you get a haste proc 1s before the DoT ticks.  1s later, that dot ticks and recalculates all necessary info regarding the next tick, including tick speed (haste), damage (int), and RNG based effects (MS, crit).  The DoT then ticks faster (less time between ticks), but the overall duration is unaffected.  When it comes time to be the last tick, if the remaining time for the tick = current tick interval, then you get a full tick.  If its less than the current tick interval, then the damage dealt = (remaining time)/(current tick interval) * (what the DoT would tick for on a regular tick).

I actually have that explained in my Demo guide, too except for the dynamic updating which is just that - a dynamic update.  The tick speed would jump up to match the new Haste value immediately and would run for the duration.  So far, the only Haste procs I see for Warlocks comes from an on-use Haste trinket that is shitty and an Intellect trinket with a sizeable Haste proc and both of them work on Doom (longest DoT to test) with my testing.  The partial tick is calculated based on the exact moment that the DoT wears off - so if a Haste proc is live when it expires, you'll get that calculated partial tick.  Either way, it's not like you can control it so it's just extra damage that happens behind the scenes.  All you should care about is that it works.

I think the basis of Krazy's question with the dynamic updating is when / how often does it update? is it after a dot/hot tick that it calculates the time for the next tick based on current haste? or if you were in the middle of 2 dot ticks would a haste proc immediately make the next proc closer? or in the case of a partial dot tick, make it slightly larger.

It would be an extremely minor difference, I mean even with a 20% haste proc we're talking about 20% of 1 tick of any particular dot, 2-3 times during a fight is the maximum this will make a difference one way or the other. so we'd be splitting hairs to figure out how literally like 100dps is calculated, but I'd be interested purely for theory crafting's sake. Although then also, like Zag said, it isn't something you could control in the case of a proc, so why worry about it. even in the case of something you can control like lust/hero would you really try to time lust perfectly with your next dot tick for 100dps if that were the case?

I can take a dive into the details of some logs to see how exactly it's done, but my guess is that combat logs only parse the tick damage.  We might see increased damage on a tick by tick basis, but you'd have to come to conclusion with one of these two scenarios...

Scenario A

DoT Tick (no Haste) = 1,000 T=3

DoT Tick (no Haste) = 1,000 T=6

HASTE PROC T=7.5

DoT Tick (Haste) = 1,000 T=9

DoT Tick (Haste) = 1,000 T=11

In this scenario, it could be said that the Haste proc happened at exactly half way through the tick, so the next tick is when the Haste effect went into place.  This would be an acceptable way to do it for short DoTs, but for longer DoTs like Doom, this would be very bad as you could theoretically get a 10 second Haste proc and have it not affect Doom at all.  My money is on the following method...

DoT Tick (no Haste) = 1,000 T=3

DoT Tick (no Haste) = 1,000 T=6

HASTE PROC T=7.5

DoT Tick (Haste) = 1,000 T= 8

DoT Tick (Haste) = 1,000 T=10

In this case, the DoT Tick right after the Haste proc would come on a quicker interval, thus updating in actual dynamic time.  This would roll up tick speeds for longer DoTs like Doom.  This makes the most sense and is the likely way it is done. 

• Like 1

I think it's the second way.

Example: You get a haste proc before a DoT tick. That tick recalculates and instead of ticking every 3 seconds, subsequent ticks occur every 2 seconds.

The next tick thus comes 2s later, and continues in 2s intervals.

Once the haste proc wears off, the very next tick will recalculate, and you will go back to 3s intervals.

Disclaimer: I suck at maths, and suck even more at explaining it.

Test on target dummy (event log of Doom, event log of TR)

00:00:00.000 Doom cast

00:00:11.692 Doom Tick

00:00:23.422 Doom Tick

00:00:35.123 Doom Tick

00:00:46.747 Doom Tick

00:00:58.486 Doom Tick

00:01:10.131 Doom Tick

00:01:21.850 Doom Tick

00:01:26.495 Tempus Repit PROC

00:01:33.639 Doom Tick

00:01:36.590 Tempus Repit FADE

00:01:42.496 Doom Tick

All DoTs update their haste at the time of tick (fairly certain they said that somewhere). This includes Doom.

Notice that between the tick at 1:21 and 1:33, I had TR for almost the entire time, but the tick still came 11.something seconds apart. It wasn't until the 1.42 tick that the proc was brought into play.

YES, you can completely miss a proc for Doom via shitty RNG.

So dots still sort of snapshot, but they snapshot for 1 tick at a time, rather than full duration. probably not something that will ever really come into play as a way to game the system for higher dps, but it's good to know at least. for something like doom it could definitely be worth refreshing as soon as you get a proc that way you definitely get 1-2 ticks with extra haste/crit/etc. instead of possibly 0.