FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Niix

In Depth Pre-Expansion Hunter Guide. (All Specs)

That makes sense. Thank you. I'm curious though, which dummies are you using? Because the raiding dummies can't be relied on since they reflect WoD Bosses defensive stats now and we get loads of Dodges and Misses off of them.

Sorry, I meant the level 90 dummies, not the level 100 ones, just used to calling them all "raiding dummies".  I have tried both SV and MM in live raiding too and found similar results.  I abhor BM and try to avoid it at all costs :)

Changelog:

10-21-14: Updated Recommended talents for BM. Added Weapon Rankings for MM, and SV.

Hey Niix not sure if you're up for talking SV but for them do you think that after the explosive trap buff it should be worked into rotation? It currently does around 93% of AP and can proc multistrikes on ticks so I was debating working it in. 

Also not sure if you're up to talk WoD but do you think once it drops that SV should go for haste > agi > multistrike since poisoned ammo adds the remaining damage each time it's refreshed?

Sorry just excited for theory crafting "affliction" hunters :)

Hey Niix not sure if you're up for talking SV but for them do you think that after the explosive trap buff it should be worked into rotation? It currently does around 93% of AP and can proc multistrikes on ticks so I was debating working it in. 

Also not sure if you're up to talk WoD but do you think once it drops that SV should go for haste > agi > multistrike since poisoned ammo adds the remaining damage each time it's refreshed?

Sorry just excited for theory crafting "affliction" hunters smile.png

I really haven't worked too much on SV because it, to me, would be the equivalent of looking into MM in 5.0. It just isn't viable enough for me to consider looking at it. Until they give it a cooldown I really wont be doing anything regarding SV. However to answer your question, Explosive Trap should be used if you will get 18 of the 20 second duration on 2 or more targets. Which realistically would only be on Dark Shamans, Protectors and Paragons.

I really haven't worked too much on SV because it, to me, would be the equivalent of looking into MM in 5.0. It just isn't viable enough for me to consider looking at it. Until they give it a cooldown I really wont be doing anything regarding SV. However to answer your question, Explosive Trap should be used if you will get 18 of the 20 second duration on 2 or more targets. Which realistically would only be on Dark Shamans, Protectors and Paragons.

Is it that SV isn't viable in 6.0 in general or not viable at 90 for now? I feel like at 100 SV can be very competitive for top dps but I haven't looked too much into it.

Is it that SV isn't viable in 6.0 in general or not viable at 90 for now? I feel like at 100 SV can be very competitive for top dps but I haven't looked too much into it.

SV is pretty terrible at 90 and at 100 as well.

SV is pretty terrible at 90 and at 100 as well.

Really? I thought that poison arrows would have been able to save their dps :(

Really? I thought that poison arrows would have been able to save their dps sad.png

Last time I checked Exotic Munitions is absolutely terrible. I will be messing with different profiles in simc when WoD comes out and I'll be able to give you a more solid answer once I'm able to test the three talents under different circumstances.

Last time I checked Exotic Munitions is absolutely terrible. I will be messing with different profiles in simc when WoD comes out and I'll be able to give you a more solid answer once I'm able to test the three talents under different circumstances.

Will be looking forward to that. I have a feeling stacking haste can make Exotic Munitions pretty good but we'll see once we get there.

Will be looking forward to that. I have a feeling stacking haste can make Exotic Munitions pretty good but we'll see once we get there.

Well, haste wont really do anything for it because the poison one caps at a certain point, which isn't even that high honestly. None of the level 100 talents are any good in my opinion. Once again Blizzard failed to implement an active talent that is actually worth taking. The two passive ones are better than Focusing Shot by miles. Fuck that ability.

Hi! My question is: If secondary stats are now prized over Agility, why then maintain Blurred Speed for the boot enchant? Wouldn't 11 more crit trump 9 agil+ slight speed buff? Or does blurred speed still make enough of a difference to keep it?

Hi! My question is: If secondary stats are now prized over Agility, why then maintain Blurred Speed for the boot enchant? Wouldn't 11 more crit trump 9 agil+ slight speed buff? Or does blurred speed still make enough of a difference to keep it?

If you really care about min maxing you'd want surefooted. +3 haste, +10 crit. Over Precision, which is the 11 crit enchant you mention, but that and 9 agi have such a minuscule difference I'd rather use the run speed.

If you really care about min maxing you'd want surefooted. +3 haste, +10 crit. Over Precision, which is the 11 crit enchant you mention, but that and 9 agi have such a minuscule difference I'd rather use the run speed.

There's also Pandaren Step, which is 11 (or 13, haven't really checked) Mastery.

Well, haste wont really do anything for it because the poison one caps at a certain point, which isn't even that high honestly. None of the level 100 talents are any good in my opinion. Once again Blizzard failed to implement an active talent that is actually worth taking. The two passive ones are better than Focusing Shot by miles. Fuck that ability.

Yeesh it has a cap? It could have been so good for SV if the cap wasn't bad. Maybe my affliction hunter dream is dead

Hello Niix!

I have problem with MM Sniper training WA. When I lose sniper training buff and the bar starts blinking, my fps drops from 80 to like 20. Any idea what could be causing it?

Yeesh it has a cap? It could have been so good for SV if the cap wasn't bad. Maybe my affliction hunter dream is dead

"Affliction" hunter isn't possible until they give us more than 1.5 DoTs...and make those DoTs actually pack a punch

"Affliction" hunter isn't possible until they give us more than 1.5 DoTs...and make those DoTs actually pack a punch

Or maybe just don't make the spec suck, give us a cooldown and actual hard hitting spells. I can't wait until they stop trying to save their pride and just admit they fucked the spec beyond belief.

• Like 1

Or maybe just don't make the spec suck, give us a cooldown and actual hard hitting spells. I can't wait until they stop trying to save their pride and just admit they fucked the spec beyond belief.

Yeah for sure, but it would be interesting to turn us into a DoT centric spec with SS, BA (give us 100% uptime already!), and ES (made viable for Single target.  Give us some kind of CD that increases DoT damage or DoT Multistrike chance.

Edited by Atrais

Yeah for sure, but it would be interesting to turn us into a DoT centric spec with SS, BA (give us 100% uptime already!), and ES (made viable for Single target.  Give us some kind of CD that increases DoT damage or DoT Multistrike chance.

You get 100% uptime with BA........with a trinket.

Changelog:

10-24-14: Updated each spec's section to include a DPS ranking for all the races.

• Like 1

Hello Niix!

I have problem with MM Sniper training WA. When I lose sniper training buff and the bar starts blinking, my fps drops from 80 to like 20. Any idea what could be causing it?

Hi again Niix,

I'm getting this too. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Hi again Niix,

I'm getting this too. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

I would go ahead and delete the sub aura which has the blinking, see if that works. If not, Dragoonn had luck deleting the "Below 3" sub aura. Try both and let me know if they don't work. I've never had this issue so I'm not sure exactly what's causing it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Teta
      I would like a lot some guides for rbg, i dont like arenas, i hardly do arenas, and i miss guides whit focus on rbg and specially for tanking in rbg, and thats it, would help me alot to start whit New classes and strategies. Please, this website is my jesus
      I'm a noobish pvper, never passed 1600mmr, and icyveins is my pillar for guides, i find ir very easy and simple to understand, and helped me alot to start playing better whit a New class.
    • By wowguy233
      Hey everybody! So the other day, I decided to make a 5-minute guide on how to play the Warrior class in WoW. It's not super in-depth, but I just wanted some good feedback from the Warrior community on this. Lemme know what you guys think! I also hope that this is able to help somebody out there.   ?

• By FlynSurv
      Hello,
      I think I’m going to be running explosive shot mostly as MM as most my content in casual dungeons, low keys and maybe some normal raids. I have a couple of questions and wondering if anyone could advise. 

- How does explosive shot work in single target rotation? 

-Sims seem to show it’s not massively behind for me in ST, what could be causing this? From the guides I’ve read careful aim should be a much clearer winner in ST
      -Is there any scenario where chimera shot is viable? I wonder whether for normal and heroic dungeons where mobs die so fast  whether the cleave would be useful 
      Many thanks

(Sorry if these seems really basic questions, just a casual player trying to make the most of my toon going into SL!)
    • By Etherbeard
      I want to make sure I understand something correctly.
      From the guide:
      "Cast  Serpent Sting to consume  Viper's Venom procs when the DoT is about to expire. Without  Viper's Venom, you should only refresh  Serpent Sting when  Coordinated Assault is not active."
      I take this to mean that sometimes we just let the Viper's Venom proc expire. It only lasts 6 seconds and the Serpent Sting dot is 12 seconds, so if we get a proc shortly after applying Serpent Sting, we'll be outside the pandemic window when the proc expires. It seems like outside of Coordinated Assault periods we can almost ignore Viper's Venom because we're only refreshing the dot within the pandemic window anyway. Is that right?
    • By RelliksPast
      Introduction
      This build is fairly interesting, and relies on two commonly overlooked aspects of the Necromancer's kit. The first being Maltorius' Petrified Spike, a legendary item that boosts your bone spear by 700%, and Bone SpearTeeth, a skill that sprays half the map in death and shoddy dentistry. The Spike itself has fairly terrible stats, but it's unique ability and enough intelligence make up for this aspect.

Gameplay and Strategy
      This is a very easy build to execute and yields extraordinarily high results. It's more of a medium range build, with plenty of variance as it only relies on a small combo. The rest of the build is mostly just to optimize the amount that you can use Bone SpearTeeth and making sure you survive well, with a fair bit of boss killers, such as Command SkeletonsFrenzy and Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. You can alter the range and play style with substitutions, and overall this is a very solid and general build for beginners and experienced players alike. 

Your main combo rotation is going to be using  SimulacrumReservoir and spamming Bone SpearTeeth. Then follow up with Corpse LanceBrittle Touch to finish off any remaining units. Corpse lance does not consume any essence to cast, and is very resource efficient while still dishing out significant damage. You may ask, why pick these runes. Well, Reservoir provides more resource, Brittle Touch helps with higher health bosses, and Teeth is actually a bit complicated. Now this may be a bug, but it certainly seems like the splinters from Bone SpearTeeth do too much damage, especially when combined with Maltorius' Petrified Spike. Because of this damage, you can easily clear massive waves and bosses alike. 
      Your other core skill is going to be Blood Rush. Every class ought to have a mobility skill in order to more efficiently clear floors and to speed up your farming. I prefer to use Molting to start a Corpse Lance chain in adventure runs, but the rune you choose is mostly up to preference. Potency is also a powerful rune, especially if you choose the close range variant of this build

Other skills include your essence regain, either Grim ScytheDual Scythes or Siphon BloodPower Shift.  I like Dual Scythes simply because its a larger area (and therefor more essence), pulls enemies in front of you, and efficiently lines up the highest damage Bone SpearTeeth. An alternative to Dual Scythes is Grim ScytheExecution or Grim ScytheCursed ScytheSiphon BloodPower Shift is an excellent choice for melting bosses when low on essence. Other options include Siphon BloodSuppress, Siphon BloodBlood Sucker, or Bone SpikesBlood Spikes. Your choice of basic attack will determine your range for this build. Keep in mind that Teeth does more damage close up (like a shotgun) but due to Maltorius' Petrified Spike you can still use it at a range to great effect. For your non-combo damage ability, you want to choose based on your range. If you choose Siphon Blood, pick Command Skeletons with either Frenzy or Kill Command. If you choose Grim Scythe, go with either Bone ArmorDislocation or Death NovaBlight. Death nova does significant AOE damage, while Bone Armor is primarily a defensive skill, especially useful to preserve your Blood Rush cooldown. I personally prefer Frenzy for ranged and Bone ArmorDislocation for a closer range build. 

Passives
      Your passives will once again depend on your variant of the build. You will want Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power regardless, but the other two slots will vary.  Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power are both integral skills to any ability and cooldown-based build. You want to minimize your cooldowns, and despite the intimidating requirement of Blood is Power, it triggers rather often. It counts premitigation damage, meaning damage before your armor and resistances. In any high level battle, you will proc this passive often. Overwhelming Essence is rather straightforward, as it simply increases your resource. 

For the close range variant, I would recommend Stand Alone and Draw Life. Together, these passives will make you significantly more bulky and make up for a lack of sustain within your skills. An alternative to Draw Life is taking Life from Death and DevourSatiated over Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. This will somewhat lower your damage to bosses, but provide for more spam and sustain overall. 
      For the range variant, I would Aberrant Animator and Final Service. These both combine nicely with your Command Skeletons, while Final Service helps to improve your general lack of tankiness. Aberrant Animator gives your skeletons double your Thorns damage, while Final Service is your cheat death mechanic. 
      Skill list
      A- Grim ScytheDual Scythes/Siphon BloodPower Shift
      B- Bone SpearTeeth
      X-  Command SkeletonsFrenzy/ Command SkeletonsKill Command/Bone ArmorDislocation/Death NovaBlight
      Y-  Corpse LanceBrittle Touch
      ZL-SimulacrumReservoir
      ZR-Blood RushMolting/Blood RushPotency

Passives
      Overwhelming Essence Blood is Power Stand Alone / Aberrant Animator Draw Life / Life from Death / Final Service  
      Now, into the parts that honestly don't matter nearly as much. Most of the build is in your hands, now this is just the nitpicky optimizations that I will honestly spend far too much/little time on. For the next sections I will be discussing gear, gems, Kanai's Cube, and paragon points. 
      For Gear I recommend going for a Legacy of Dreams build. This is rather standard, gives you an insane damage boost, and overall is versatile and workable. Make sure that you haveMaltorius' Petrified Spike. Another recommendation is your helm. Leoric's Crown is ideal for general battling, but Broken Crown is my preference for base gem farming, for hopefully obvious reasons. Honestly, just use common sense. LoD builds are incredibly player dependent, and you can build them just about however you want. Just prioritize whatever will feed into the general gameplan of spamming SimulacrumReservoir and Bone SpearTeeth. 
      For Kanai's Cube, you want to slot in Reilena's Shadowhook as your weapon, Krysbin's Sentence for jewlery, and the worse of either Reaper's Wraps or Nemesis Bracers. Shadowhook scales your damage based on your maximum essence, and with Overwhelming Essence and SimulacrumReservoir you're pretty well maxed out on your essence. 
      For Paragon Points you want to basically use common sense. This build is an ability spam build with limited sustain. Play to that. For example, you want to invest heavily into Essence, Cost Reduction, and Cooldown reduction. As far as defense, I recommend investing in armor so that Blood is Power is easier to proc. 
      For  Gems you should put Bane of the Trapped, Enforcer, and Legacy of Dreams in your ring slots. Zei's Stone of Vengeance is a solid alternative. For your Helm, slot in  Flawless Royal Topaz to provide resource cost reduction or Flawless Royal Diamond for CDR. Personally, since this is a teeth build you should go Topaz. For your weapon, you should go Flawless Royal Topaz if going the ranged build, and Flawless Royal Emerald for the close range build. And for your other slots, you should go (you guessed it) Flawless Royal Topaz. In my honest opinion, Topaz is the best base gem for necromancer. It provides Intelligence, thorns, and resource reduction. Sure, the thorns are only especially ridiculous with Aberrant Animator but once again, topaz is a godsend for Necromancer. 

Changelog: 10/2/19 Fixed some grammar errors, clarified poor usage, and added more details to the build