FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Balance Druid 6.2

The stat priority you state on your site (https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/balance-druid-pve-dps-statistics-priority#sec-1) is in complete disagreement with what you state in this thread, and that appears everywhere else (int>crit>=mastery>haste>=multistrike>versatility). What gives?

I do not believe I have stated the stat priority for Balance Druids in this or any other thread. The priority currently up (Mastery best secondary stat) is recommended (and in use) by Cyous, who reviews our guide. I'll check with him to see what he thinks about it, but we've been in pretty good contact and it seems like this one is just fine.

Guest Darith

I do not believe I have stated the stat priority for Balance Druids in this or any other thread. The priority currently up (Mastery best secondary stat) is recommended (and in use) by Cyous, who reviews our guide. I'll check with him to see what he thinks about it, but we've been in pretty good contact and it seems like this one is just fine.

Here's the problem, this is what's posted there:

The stat priority for a Balance Druid is:

1. Intellect;
  2. Mastery;
  3. Multistrike;
  4. Haste;
  5. Critical Strike;
  6. Versatility.

And in the paragraph that is supposed to explain that very list, it contradicts it saying that it's Int, Mastery, Crit, Haste, Multistrike, Versatility. I am assuming the paragraph is correct as it has the explanation along with it, but there's definitely something wrong with the page.

Guest Tam

A little confused by the "loot competition" section of the "gearing up and best in slot" page.

1. You say we compete with resto druids and mistweaver monks for leather armor, but I was under the impression that balance druids were competing with all leather wearers for leather armor since the primary stat on a piece of gear changes depending on spec?

2. Since spirit is now useless to balance druids, and I thought that rings/cloaks/necks is where healers now get their spirit since spirit is no longer on armor, wouldn't that mean balance druids don't compete with healer specs for these things?

Aside from that, thank you very much for the guide. Time to go test out some of the tips =)

A little confused by the "loot competition" section of the "gearing up and best in slot" page.

1. You say we compete with resto druids and mistweaver monks for leather armor, but I was under the impression that balance druids were competing with all leather wearers for leather armor since the primary stat on a piece of gear changes depending on spec?

2. Since spirit is now useless to balance druids, and I thought that rings/cloaks/necks is where healers now get their spirit since spirit is no longer on armor, wouldn't that mean balance druids don't compete with healer specs for these things?

Aside from that, thank you very much for the guide. Time to go test out some of the tips =)

1. It's one thing we still have to update on these pages.

2. They do still compete with healers in the case where a healer desires a Ring, Amulet, or Cloak that doesn't have spirit.

Guest Harbringer

Hey, just posting a slight error I found in the addons/macros section is all. The macro listed to use for Decurse/Remove Poison says to use the "/Cast Nature's Cure", this ability is the Restoration druids version of the spell. Balance would use "/Cast Remove Corruption". Great guide and appreciate the work you guys do.

Guest topazdragon

Your stat priority list does not jibe with the description below it, I believe there is a typo. Crit should be #3 and Multistrike is #5.

The stat priority for a Balance Druid is:

1. Intellect;
  2. Mastery;
  3. Multistrike;
  4. Haste;
  5. Critical Strike;
  6. Versatility.

Guest Bjef

Is this still the right prio for raids?

1. Mastery;
  2. Multistrike;
  3. Haste;

Guest Starsurge

Was wondering about the Off-Hand Frill Part in the BiS / Gearing Up Section.

Are the missing ilvl 655 Off-Hand Frills from Highmaul intended?

And those tournament Parts mentioned in there can't be used outside of a tournament (atleast the ones you can buy for 50g).

Guest Moonlife

Look at the top logs, it seems like the order should be 

1: Mastery

2.: Critical Strike

3: Haste

4: Multistrike

5: Versitility

Guest Kizam

Why isn't glyph of celestial alignment in the a major glyph part? It's one of the best glyphs when not using Euphoria

So, regarding the stats, it seems that the "correct" priority right now is indeed Mastery => Crit > Haste > MS > Versatility. But the difference between the top stats is so small... I'm updating the guide now.

As for Glyph of Celestial Alignment, it's not viable for raiding. As soon as you're geared out of heroic dungeons, it's no longer any DPS gain, and as this is a raiding guide, it's not really worth talking about. It's more of a PvP glyph.

Guest 2%

Haven't tested this rotation out fully yet, but I tried using Astral Communion to zip past the middle of the cycle and ensure wrath/starfire is always buffed by more than 15% from it's respective eclipse bonus, i'm guessing around +26-28%. The sacrifice is a considerably small amount of time lost during AC, but the DOTs are always active, and always cast with the +100% burst buff, instead of in the middle of the cycle like a lot of guides suggest. Wraths/stars are never below a +26% buff and usually closer to about +50% on average as well. I can even cast surge before AC, then surge again in the next half, burn through that side with surged bolts, apply DOT, and maybe one or two unbuffed bolts, AC back and have plenty of time left to use up all the original surged bolt buffs. 

Wrath is written twice in the picture, but the idea is to be casting that move when in that position, rather than just running through the rotation like a shopping list and only casting it twice. AC is a massive speed boost though, the tricky part is stopping it at exactly the right moment so you don't end up missing the eclipse DOT bonus because you are midway through a wrath/star.

Put simply, I'm ACing through roughly a third to a half of the length of the bar. I haven't bashed the stickman with this yet though, so time will tell if this is any good.

image for clarity: imgbox.com/br8QErKz

I noticed that the guide didn't elaborate on what to do when using Euphoria/SotF. If I simply followed the normal rotation, as explained in the guide, with Euphoria then I'd very quickly be Starsurge starved and would do a lot less DPS.

So I wrote this priority list for Euphoria:

1. Apply and maintain Moonfire and Sunfire on the target.

• Apply them during the respective Peaks, whenever possible.

• Sunfire lasts considerably less than Moonfire, so you will have to refresh it every Solar Eclipse, while you can refresh Moonfire every second Lunar Eclipse.

2. Cast Starsurge during Lunar Eclipse.

• You will not be able to always use Starsurge in both Solar and Lunar Eclipses because you would spend charges faster than the cooldown and Shooting Stars procs could restore charges.

3. Cast Starsurge during Solar Eclipse.

• Only to keep Starsurge charges rolling.

4. Cast Starfire if the cast will be finished during a Lunar Eclipse.

5. Cast Wrath if the cast will be finished during a Solar Eclipse.

Note that I'm not a pro raider or theorycrafter, so please correct me if this could be better.

• Like 1

Guest Thisp

Something is confusing me about Celestial Alignment. In the rotation guide, you say to use it under Lunar Eclipse. Why would we wait to use it under Lunar Eclipse if you gain the maximum eclipse bonus regardless of your balance scale?

Haven't tested this rotation out fully yet, but I tried using Astral Communion to zip past the middle of the cycle and ensure wrath/starfire is always buffed by more than 15% from it's respective eclipse bonus, i'm guessing around +26-28%. The sacrifice is a considerably small amount of time lost during AC, but the DOTs are always active, and always cast with the +100% burst buff, instead of in the middle of the cycle like a lot of guides suggest. Wraths/stars are never below a +26% buff and usually closer to about +50% on average as well. I can even cast surge before AC, then surge again in the next half, burn through that side with surged bolts, apply DOT, and maybe one or two unbuffed bolts, AC back and have plenty of time left to use up all the original surged bolt buffs. 

Wrath is written twice in the picture, but the idea is to be casting that move when in that position, rather than just running through the rotation like a shopping list and only casting it twice. AC is a massive speed boost though, the tricky part is stopping it at exactly the right moment so you don't end up missing the eclipse DOT bonus because you are midway through a wrath/star.

Put simply, I'm ACing through roughly a third to a half of the length of the bar. I haven't bashed the stickman with this yet though, so time will tell if this is any good.

image for clarity: imgbox.com/br8QErKz

I feel like you could just replace the AC's with a wrath or starfire going into their respective eclipse. It seems to me like what you're doing is a dps loss.

Guest Physical

hello all, i'll try to ask properly my question.

why is incarnation: chosen of elune better than soul of forest ? incarnation is just a cd of 3 min while soul of forest is permanent. Why i should choose incarnation then ? about damage i prefer permanent damage than a moment of it, and it would be 15% more damage.

Guest Dalzara

Something is confusing me about Celestial Alignment. In the rotation guide, you say to use it under Lunar Eclipse. Why would we wait to use it under Lunar Eclipse if you gain the maximum eclipse bonus regardless of your balance scale?

You do it under lunar so your star surges are empowering starfire not wrath. 

hello all, i'll try to ask properly my question.

why is incarnation: chosen of elune better than soul of forest ? incarnation is just a cd of 3 min while soul of forest is permanent. Why i should choose incarnation then ? about damage i prefer permanent damage than a moment of it, and it would be 15% more damage.

The effects of the two talents are different. Incarnation gives a 15% increase to all spell damage, while Soul of the Forest only increases the damage bonus from Lunar/Solar Empowerment.

Guest Marsshift

I have been doing this and empirically pulling a bit ahead of other approximately-equal-geared boomkins I have run with.  LE > SE and moonfire refresh should only happen every other eclipse.

I noticed that the guide didn't elaborate on what to do when using Euphoria/SotF. If I simply followed the normal rotation, as explained in the guide, with Euphoria then I'd very quickly be Starsurge starved and would do a lot less DPS.

So I wrote this priority list for Euphoria:

1. Apply and maintain Moonfire and Sunfire on the target.

• Apply them during the respective Peaks, whenever possible.

• Sunfire lasts considerably less than Moonfire, so you will have to refresh it every Solar Eclipse, while you can refresh Moonfire every second Lunar Eclipse.

2. Cast Starsurge during Lunar Eclipse.

• You will not be able to always use Starsurge in both Solar and Lunar Eclipses because you would spend charges faster than the cooldown and Shooting Stars procs could restore charges.

3. Cast Starsurge during Solar Eclipse.

• Only to keep Starsurge charges rolling.

4. Cast Starfire if the cast will be finished during a Lunar Eclipse.

5. Cast Wrath if the cast will be finished during a Solar Eclipse.

Note that I'm not a pro raider or theorycrafter, so please correct me if this could be better.

Guest Guest

There no longer is any real restriction about when it is too soon to refresh a DoT. As long as you refresh Moonfire each time you reach Lunar Peak, and Solar Eclipse at Solar Peak and right before leaving Solar Eclipse, then you should have no problems.

With Euphoria, you are only required to refresh Sunfire once per cycle, and can miss a Moonfire refresh every second time (but not recommended).  You also benefit from using up the Solar/Lunar Peak as late in the buff as you can, because the earlier period coincides with higher Starfire/Wrath damage output.

Guest Guest

Sorry to say, but if u wanna raid "hardcore" as a moonkin in 6.1 you should NOT follow this guide. The opener section is just totally wrong, u are seriously wasting time on ur CDs, and telling people to use Starfire in Solar eclipse. Just a heads up people who are trying to get good at boomkins, don't follow this guide. Read proper forums by real good moonkins instead! 

Peace

I honestly don't see any real problems with the guide. Could you be more specific with what it wrong?

The only thing you mentioned is about starfire in solar which I don't see at all. Could you quote the exact text and location of where you see this problem?

Guest Tass

I honestly don't see any real problems with the guide. Could you be more specific with what it wrong?

The only thing you mentioned is about starfire in solar which I don't see at all. Could you quote the exact text and location of where you see this problem?

The "real problems" only come up if you consider the talent selection that the guide proposes, which given the state of moonkins currently in BRF, is Incarnation for Tier 4 and Euphoria for Tier 7--all fights except Iron Maidens where BoP for Tier 7 can pull ahead (source: simcraft simulations+logs of top ranked moonkins on all fights). So, for multiple target fights we stick to Inc/BoP (Iron Maidens, possibly Oregorger and Hans and Franz) and single target or AoE of short lived add fights (Kromog, Beastlord, Thogar, Flamebender), we stick to Inc/Euph. The guide, instead, suggests:

"For single target DPS, the most efficient talent choice is Soul of the Forest (coupled with Euphoriaa). The DPS benefit here drops sharply if you have to move even a little bit, so in practice this is only superior on very few fights.

Another very strong choice for single target DPS is Incarnation: Chosen of Elune (coupled with Balance of Power or Stellar Flare). In the first case, your DPS is quite competitive and your rotation is easy to master. In the second case, your rotation is more difficult, but the addition of another DoT (from Stellar Flare) means that you are less sensitive to movement.

For multiple target situations, by far the best combination of talents is Incarnation: Chosen of Elune coupled with Stellar Flare."

It's relatively well known that Soul of the forest is very dependent of RNG of moving and it's largely not being considered, so in that aspect, the guide is right. The rest of the suggestions, though, and--even more importantly--not even a mention of coupling Incarnation with Euphoria, loses the mark entirely on the current state. Stellar Flare in theory is good but it is really counter-intuitive and works against the strengths of our 2p/4p set bonuses, where more casts are needed, hence casts from a DoT with a cast time would take away from a dps gain.

I think he was referring to the opening portion of the guide which I think it's off as well:

"If you are using the Incarnation: Chosen of Elune talent, then cast it before you pre-cast your Starfire (step 2). After Celestial Alignment ends, keep using Starsurge and Starfire until Incarnation: Chosen of Elune expires."

I can see how this wording would be correct, since in this guide the combo of Inc/Euph was never mentioned, so the writer assumed that if you're using Inc, your eclipses last a long time. In that aspect, this opening portion would be correct. Given that the vast majority of high end moonkins keep Inc/Euph as their main talents, this opener would make it so that you would still be casting starfire while you're in solar eclipse (the duration of the incarnation is 30 sec and after 15 sec of CA, each cycle of eclipse lasts approximately 8 seconds).

I hope this shed some light. I do think that for new players of this spec there is great information to be found in this guide. But for people looking to get an edge, some of the things listed are off the mark and, frankly, plain wrong.

Sign in to follow this