FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Brewmaster Monk 6.2

Guest Jessica

great guide I'd like to point out under the Glyphs that Glyph of Keg Smash(adds 5yrds extra range to teh spell) could be useful, 5 yards isn't massive but it's a little more reach

great guide I'd like to point out under the Glyphs that Glyph of Keg Smash(adds 5yrds extra range to teh spell) could be useful, 5 yards isn't massive but it's a little more reach

Good suggestion! I will add it. Thanks!

Guest chad

Agility is listed right after bonus armor in the description of stat priorities, but isn't on the list of priority stats at all.

Agility is listed right after bonus armor in the description of stat priorities, but isn't on the list of priority stats at all.

Yeah. That's mostly so players can see what benefit they get from their primary stat (even if it's not worth gearing for - and you can't really "gear" for it at all anymore come WoD anyway). We could probably improve the presentation though.

Guest Donn

Great guide as always ,

But for Gems it's all haste , i see many monks with crit -haste or agi-haste ?is the best second stat after haste ? if you have or are comfortable with youre haste ofc agi or crit ? for a brewmaster.

Just a slight detail ,as weapon enchants i use mongoose since this gives 120 agi and 30 haste and it procs really often or is there a reason why you don't use it ?

For the rest keep it up ! nice work !

Regards,

Donn

Why strength potions over agility potions?

That was an error. Fixed. Thanks!

Guest Xebenatros

how come there is not any mention of the Guard Glyph? I abused that glyph throughout MoP as I didn't have an issue handling physical damage but magic damage was often an issue as BM, shouldn't Guard as a glyph be an option?

how come there is not any mention of the Guard Glyph? I abused that glyph throughout MoP as I didn't have an issue handling physical damage but magic damage was often an issue as BM, shouldn't Guard as a glyph be an option?

Thanks. We talk about Glyph of Guard in the rotation section, but I've added a mention of it on the talents page as well now :)

Guest Jessica

hey me again for Elixirs instead of Mantid and Hozen(I think are the ones you're suggesting?) you should list Elixir of Deep Earth and Elixir of the Master, as due to the item squish these two potions have better stats than the new ones

Guest Boymcgee

Under "Gearing up" Part 4. Loot competition - Apparently "Blood Death Knight Druids" are after my trinkets. wink.png

Under "Gearing up" Part 4. Loot competition - Apparently "Blood Death Knight Druids" are after my trinkets. wink.png

Thanks, it's fixed!

Guest Me

the taunting macro isnt working for me.

it lets me provoke but when i hold down shift + macro button it doesnt throw down the ox statue

Guest Laytith

the taunting macro isnt working for me.

it lets me provoke but when i hold down shift + macro button it doesnt throw down the ox statue

The idea of that macro when um press shift it is auto use your provoke on black ox statue preforming an aoe taunt(redirecting mobs to you).That way u dont need to leave your current target, then select statue, then use provoke and then target again one mob. U can do all that with shift pressed + that macro.

So you always need to 'spawn' your statue first.

Guest Nerz

The Stat Priority is completely wrong...

The usage of PB is absolutely wrong...

This Guide is useless form a serious raiding PoV....

In fact i am shocked that this is Sunnier's Guide... seems like he is stuck in MoP 

Any idea why Ask Mr. Robot wants me to go completely mastery for all gems and enchants and never even mentions haste?

I know mastery will smooth out the damage, but I do feel energy starved which makes sense.

Can we get some information on haste breakpoints?

Any idea why Ask Mr. Robot wants me to go completely mastery for all gems and enchants and never even mentions haste?

I know mastery will smooth out the damage, but I do feel energy starved which makes sense.

Can we get some information on haste breakpoints?

AMR also assumes you have Ascension, which increases your energy regeneration by 15%.  The haste "breakpoint" is simply getting enough haste in order to smooth out your rotation so that you aren't waiting for energy to refill.  

The Stat Priority is completely wrong...

The usage of PB is absolutely wrong...

This Guide is useless form a serious raiding PoV....

In fact i am shocked that this is Sunnier's Guide... seems like he is stuck in MoP 

The Stat priority is not wrong at all.  You have to remember, there are multiple ways of doing something correctly, and stats are one of those things where there is no one set "best" stat priority (in most cases, that is, and for most there is a certain norm to follow, but withing that, there are many ways to still be good and/or not wrong).  

The Purifying Brew section is correct enough, as you don't want to spend too much Chi on PB so that your Shuffle uptime suffers, and using PB when you hit upper yellow/red staggers is exactly when you should use PB.  Any sooner than this is overkill.

As for the guide being useless, you are just flat out wrong.  It provides an in-depth rotation, comments on which talents are better in certain situations, and it explains why things are the way they are.

Edited by Orthios

Thank you Orthios. Ascension is probably the key.

I may just ignore them and swap a few haste gems anyway as I feel like I spend too much time spamming TP since I can't do anything else as just keeping up shuffle almost removes my ability to spend on almost anything but BoK and PB.

I imagine when I get better gear (~630 right now) I can remove some more haste and go mastery again.

Ah and Nerz, could you point to your guide? Only being slightly snerky. I would like to see exactly what you believe the correct way is.

Guest galepaw

I'm so confused as to stat priority...

A lot of posters on battle.net forums say haste is our weakest stat, and the crit vs mastery debate seems situational.

I find it odd that this guide emphasizes haste, but the Mr. Robot links use the mastery builds that wowhead and noxxic suggest.

The thought of nimble brew/crit is very interesting, but until I build a extra set of tank gear focused that way and get used to the rotation and become extremely responsive with using NB when needed, I'm not going to be able to discern which is better in my meters.

I'd hope Sunnier could post/link some logs comparing the two builds?  the patchwork simulations seem N/A.

I find myself quite frequently away from the mobs/boss in a situation where I can pop "expel harm" and then PB.  I can do that in a crit/EB build too, but it wouldn't be as effective.

Gems - Mr Robot says Mastery, Noxxic says Stam, and icy-veins says haste.  I can't wait for more consensus.  I don't have the time to L2P on my own...

Guest Faeryin

I was just reading through the Brewmaster Rotation section 8.3 and noticed it didn't seem to be updated for the Stance of the Sturdy Ox mouse-over link you have. Damage reduction is 50% now instead of 75% and magic is reduced by 10% instead of 15% now. Also there is no mention of the funcionality increase of Jab and Tiger Palm either. Wasn't sure if this was an over-sight or just had not yet been updated or if there were other factors i had not yet seen that contributed. Otherwise, thanks for the guide. Love this site and use it often.

Guest ZSDFR

This guide is wrong. Look at all the top Brewmaster tanks in wowprogress. Everybody gem/enchants mastery.

Strongest stat, not weakest

The stat priority/enchants sections of the guide have been updated. Haste is still best stat (after armor) until you're comfortable... after that, it's either Mastery or Critical Strike.

I was just reading through the Brewmaster Rotation section 8.3 and noticed it didn't seem to be updated for the Stance of the Sturdy Ox mouse-over link you have. Damage reduction is 50% now instead of 75% and magic is reduced by 10% instead of 15% now. Also there is no mention of the funcionality increase of Jab and Tiger Palm either. Wasn't sure if this was an over-sight or just had not yet been updated or if there were other factors i had not yet seen that contributed. Otherwise, thanks for the guide. Love this site and use it often.

Hey. Thanks. This has now been fixed.

Guest Nerz

@ Orthios: Obviously you are not into min/maxing things - and of course thats completely fine but there are many players, including myself, who care about performing to their maximum potential and in this case there is ONLY one way to do so.

I dont want to sound like an elitist at all, i just stated my opinion from a (as already said) serious raiding PoV.

From this PoV the Stat Priority is:

BA>Mastery>Crit>Versatility>MS>Haste    for physical dmg fights (mostly all), and minimal damage taken overall

BA>Mastery>Versatility>Crit>MS>Haste    for fights with a lot of magic dmg involved, or fights that need a lot of effective health

Due to Serenity and general scaling, haste is in almost all cases our worst stat. There are just a few fights where you pick Souldance over Serenity and Chiexplosion's only purpose is to boost your dmg output. In this case (max dmg output) you would go for BA>MS>Crit and not haste.

PB usage is essential for optimal tanking performance. If you just care about you dmg income you literally PB after every hit you get from a boss (obv. if you have chosen serenity). Even with this playstyle you can achieve 100% shuffle uptime with ease.

I never said this Guide is absolutely useless, i just said it's useless from a serious raiding PoV because it has a few flaws in it.

@kelvinzero: i do not have the time and dedication to sum up my whole knowledge in a guide, plus there are very detailed guides available online and lots of threads where topics like stat priority, PB usage, ect. are being discussed. Just because there is no Guide with my name under it, it does not mean i am not informed enough to discuss/criticize existing guides.

To give you a peek why haste for a monk is not as good as haste might be for other classes:

Your most important resource is Chi. Your Chi Builders are jab and KS (not considering EH cause its just a better jab with a heal). Both of them cost 40 Energy (exept EH with glyph under 35% but that would go too far here). I dont want to go into hard numbers so i will make this rather short.

At 13 energy per second (pretty much, just an example) you will regenerate 780 energy in one minute.

From those 780 Energy you spend 300 (7,5*40) just on KS, Generating 15 Chi.

480 Energy is spent on jab, generating 12 Chi.

Total: 27 Chi per second or 81 seconds of shuffle if you are spending you whole chi on BoK or 60 seconds of shuffle and 7 PBs.

Now let's say you want to purify 8 times per minute. You need just one more Chi, but to achieve that you have to get 0,66 more energy per second, which should be about 6% haste, which is ALOT of haste, should be about 660 hasterating but not shure 100% (like i said no exact numbers in my head and i dont want to research the whole thing just for the comment).

To sum it up:

If you want 1 Chi per second more you have to get roughly 600-700 hasterating more, which is RIDICIOUSLY much for just 1 Chi. Of course haste increases your EB reg a little and other minor advantages but even with that haste is underperforming by a huge margin compared to the other stats.

Now add the 100 Talent Serenity and the value of haste is even worse than before.

So you can either believe me and dump haste wherever you can, like -as far as i have seen- all "good" BrMs do, or you can go full haste and get wrecked if you tank mythic or the "harder" heroic bosses.

P.S.: Ascension is by far the worst talent in that tier in terms of raw chi gen, but i do not want to go any deeper in that topic.

Sign in to follow this