FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Brewmaster Monk 6.2

Guest Tackeo

Chi Explosion acually do all of those things if u have 4 chi. So you can acually spam this with 4 chi and get Shuffle and purify and Aoe at the same time.

Guest Sebeck

One question i have is about the enchant for the weapon. I see that Mark of the blackrock seems to be the enchant of choice for the bonus armour (which is of course great for tanks). As it only procs when you go under %50 health, how would the mastery enchant (mark of the bleeding hollow) compare? Im just thinking of those fights where u do not go below %50 too often. Im not a heavy duty raider so the higher lvl fights it may happen way more often... Anyways - just curious. Thanks

Guest ysondre

I agree, this stat priority is just wrong. Haste for energy generation ? Who needs haste when you can pick up serenity, generate a full minute of Shuffle out of it, and purify / guard the rest of incoming damage with the remaining chi ?

Worse, when serenity is in effect, you can purify and guard for free all while using Blackout kick, since those abilities are off GCD. Indeed, it seems like Sunnier has been stuck into MOP.

A brewmaster stacking haste is shooting himself an arrow in the knee.

Critical strike (for elusive brew uptime) and mastery (for purifying, since with serenity you have more chi for that particular task) is the optimal way to go. I'd advise mastery personally, but that's just me.

Ascension is just bad in WOD, and really behind chi brew or power strike, the latter being king of chi generation.

Guest ysondre

According to Sunnier's art of war, haste is the worst stat for a brewmaster. Source : http://sunniersartofwar.com/#stats

Quoted : "With the exception of haste, which is our weakest stat, you can pick your own stat priority based on any other stat.".

I guess he didn't review this guide at all, in fact, looking at how icy-veins stat priority is putting the emphasis on haste.

According to Sunnier's art of war, haste is the worst stat for a brewmaster. Source : http://sunniersartofwar.com/#stats

Quoted : "With the exception of haste, which is our weakest stat, you can pick your own stat priority based on any other stat.".

I guess he didn't review this guide at all, in fact, looking at how icy-veins stat priority is putting the emphasis on haste.

The guides don't get updated very often, and it's not uncommon for the reviewers to not re-address the guides once they're written, meaning Sunnier likely hasn't sent any updates to Damien/Vlad (not saying that this is the case, but rather that it is entirely likely).

"We believe that the best choice is Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger."

However you have put that the only performance enhancing skill form that tier is rushing jade wind...? (in the picture at the top)
I'm a little confused. Please could I get some more information? 

Thanks. x

Guest keznor

The thing I don't understand is: Is Crit/Mastery worth nothing if you don't stack it heavily? Isn't the truth somewhere in-between? Has anyone done the math? Just having either the "Control" or "Smothing" build seems weird to me, and I'd like to believe that both seem to be worth going for and should never be considered to be the worst stat as the builds imply

The thing I don't understand is: Is Crit/Mastery worth nothing if you don't stack it heavily? Isn't the truth somewhere in-between? Has anyone done the math? Just having either the "Control" or "Smothing" build seems weird to me, and I'd like to believe that both seem to be worth going for and should never be considered to be the worst stat as the builds imply

Well mastery's more powerful the more you stack but if you're facing difficult content you do feel even just a bit more of it. Truth of the matter is that both crit and mastery are more or less our strongest stats. They do their jobs really well. There's times when one is more beneficial than the other but that's reliant on the mechancis of a fight.

Personally I never liked the idea of "control or smoothing" builds. To me its just weird because you ultimately want to survive... and there's some fights where a 'control' build really isn't going to control anything (see: most fights in BRF) because crit just doesn't affect the hits that are actually dangerous, while there's fights where crit does shine quite nicely. I view it more or less as what stat(s) is best for what encounter's mechanics.

I mean what I recommend right now is more or less the old mantra for Brewmasters: Stack mastery to comfort, then get crit or multistrike. Multistrike a bit more so nowadays because mastery is more or less all the defense you need for this tier and crit and MS are fairly close on damage (MS wins out) but crit's safer when it comes to survival. But again if you've got more than enough defense with mastery, it's okay to get more damage.

One question i have is about the enchant for the weapon. I see that Mark of the blackrock seems to be the enchant of choice for the bonus armour (which is of course great for tanks). As it only procs when you go under %50 health, how would the mastery enchant (mark of the bleeding hollow) compare? Im just thinking of those fights where u do not go below %50 too often. Im not a heavy duty raider so the higher lvl fights it may happen way more often... Anyways - just curious. Thanks

Typically then you'd probably go with the crit enchant or maybe the multistrike enchant if you're really not taking that much damage. Mastery one's not great because crit and MS mitigation (or healing as the case is for MS) can be activated outside of the proc, which simply boosts its generation, while the mastery enchant can't. So that basically just means if the proc happens when not actively tanking its less detrimental if you have crit or MS than it is with mastery.

Guest Slatch

Just had a friend start asking me about how much haste he should have, since he just started learning BrM. What an odd question, 0 is preferred of course. But IV says you need haste? WTF? This has been wrong since release, and continues to be. Is IV going the way of Noxxic? Random advice that sounds right but isn't...

The guide states:

Haste (until you are comfortable with your energy regeneration rate)

If you are comfortable with 0 haste(as most Brewmasters currently are) then great. It falls into a similar category to spirit for healers.

More haste will result in more energy, more melee swings, more chi and more Gift of the ox. If you feel that this doesn't provide you with any benefit compared to the other stats then you are comfortable and can skip over the haste in the priority listing.

Guest Ysondre

The guide states:

Haste (until you are comfortable with your energy regeneration rate)

If you are comfortable with 0 haste(as most Brewmasters currently are) then great. It falls into a similar category to spirit for healers.

More haste will result in more energy, more melee swings, more chi and more Gift of the ox. If you feel that this doesn't provide you with any benefit compared to the other stats then you are comfortable and can skip over the haste in the priority listing.

Yeah, but there's so little benefit with stacking haste that it is really, definitly useless useless. Why spend 100 points for a return of 0.1% when you can invest those 100 points elsewhere and get 1% back ? (i didn't made the actual maths, i give the rough idea).

It is the worth stat for DPS, for survivability, for control, for smoothing...

I'll just quote mmo-champion, which has the best guide on brewmaster so far : "Haste is just awful, so try and avoid that if at all possible. Point for point it provides far less 'oomph' for us than other stats."

The true haste cap for a brewmaster is 0 haste. You will NEVER need more. And you will never feel more confortable with more haste : you'll just gimp your character. And even if haste does matter in the variables you're giving, the effect is so negligible that you should completely disregard it.

I see in your armory that you are almost to the haste cap of 0 for a brewmaster. Only 146 haste to get rid of. Almost there !

Once, icy-veins was my source for this kind of info. I've switched to others sources. At least, their guides are up to date, and they don't stubbornly leave misleading info online.

Guest sujezz

I agree, haste is useless and even stacking it hard will not make you feel comfortable. For those moment you don't have energy you use your free Tiger Palm. Also the stat priority is different. On progression in current content mastery wins by helping healers not to stress so much. Once progressed crit becomes a bit better option as well as only having 2pc. I'm currently still progressing so my stats priority are:

1. Agility (by getting an upgrade with warforged, also note that 700 ilvl will always win with 685)

2. Bonus Armor (but those you can get only on neck/back/rings/trinkets).

3. Mastery

4. Crit

5. Versatility

6. Multistrike (you really don't want to move or move boss whenever you don't need while tanking)

7, Haste

Guest Talyani

Hi, does weapon speed matter? I'll have a choice between the 2.0 speed pvp staff and the 3.6 pvp polearm and I'm not sure which to get.

Thanks.

Guest Guest

I'm totally confused here.  If I look at the Stat Priority page for BM monk it lists agility as the top stat (the only tank spec that doesn't list armor first).

Yet if I look at the BiS page it lists 4 trinkets at the top and none of them are agility trinkets.  2 are Armor, 1 is Mastery and 1 is Haste.  Where's the Agility trinkets if agility matters most?

I'm totally confused here.  If I look at the Stat Priority page for BM monk it lists agility as the top stat (the only tank spec that doesn't list armor first).

Yet if I look at the BiS page it lists 4 trinkets at the top and none of them are agility trinkets.  2 are Armor, 1 is Mastery and 1 is Haste.  Where's the Agility trinkets if agility matters most?

The additional ability also must be taken into account. The Procs/static from the listed trinkets is mastery which is very desirable.

The agility trinkets are all designed with dps in mind so whilst the agility is nice the proc is useless for survivability etc.

All the top Brewmasters are stacking a combination of Haste, Crit and Multistrike and leaving Mastery at like 10-15%

http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/statspve-bestplayers-10-1-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

That mostly has to do with having the 4pc and certain trinkets (SDI, Warlords Unseeing eye) and them being able to go through content much more easily than a new(er) BrM monk can, and thus trade the guaranteed survivability of mastery for more damage through crit/haste/ms.

All the top Brewmasters are stacking a combination of Haste, Crit and Multistrike and leaving Mastery at like 10-15%

That mostly has to do with having the 4pc and certain trinkets (SDI, Warlords Unseeing eye) and them being able to go through content much more easily than a new(er) BrM monk can, and thus trade the guaranteed survivability of mastery for more damage through crit/haste/ms.

So at what ilvl is it worth to switch from stacking Mastery to going 80%+ Haste etc? How much of a difference can I expect if I stack Haste at lower ilvl?

Everyone in this thread seems to be saying Haste is our weakest stat and yet it seems to be the best. Did 6.2 change the stat priority?

Edited by Brutalis

So at what ilvl is it worth to switch from stacking Mastery to going 80%+ Haste etc? How much of a difference can I expect if I stack Haste at lower ilvl?

Everyone in this thread seems to be saying Haste is our weakest stat and yet it seems to be the best. Did 6.2 change the stat priority?

The reason you see the 80% haste is because the people you are looking at have a 2H weapon equipped, and the monk passive ability_monk_dpsstance.jpgWay of the Monk.  The point where haste becomes more powerful is when you get the 4pc and can more often have enough energy to use expel harm on cd to lower guard's cooldown.  There isn't really a set ilvl where this happens, and stacking non-mastery stats more has to do with how comfortable are you and your healers are with your damage intake.

The reason for this has more to do with maximising DPS than with maximising survivability. At high gear levels, tanks can afford to reduce their survivability without risking death, and this allows them to squeeze out more DPS. That said, Mastery remains the best stat for survival, so if you are still progressing through content (which is what our guides are aimed at), then it is best for you.

I'm sitting at 16.5% Mastery, 21.2% MS & 26% Crit. Elusive Brew seems to lead to less actual damage taken than Guard.

http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/players/121438983/bosses/1785/5?tab=cooldowns

You can see that even on Mythic Iron Reaver, where we can't really dodge the Artilleries and Bomb soaks, that Guard should be way ahead but it's still close.

Then HC Tyrant, a boss encounter in which we tank either a boss or add most of the fight, EB pulls ahead: http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/players/121438983/bosses/1784/4?tab=cooldowns

Edit: Latest Mythic Kormrok as well: http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/fights/3b7bc748f539ab26?tab=cooldowns

Edit2: And for measure a fight with lots of add tanking, avoidance shines: http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/fights/4b6b3c39714e68eb?tab=cooldowns

Mastery is flawed in the sense that if you only stack it, all that you have to fall back on are two Guard charges, but with a  more balanced stat ratio you Guard enough, have plenty of Elusive  Brew stacks and when you are trying to bank charges or are in danger, you can collect plenty GotO orbs.

There are so many boss mechanics that ignore stagger altogether in HFC, so things are a bit more complex in terms of what's best for mitigation (vs. BRF) imho.

Edited by Redfella

Only if you clear something with it, which happends rarely in any setting where you actually require heals. Blizz has tried their best to stop Nimble Brew work for boss mechanic cheesing (Worked on Blackhand for a while for example, then patched).

Zen, Fortuitous Sphere & Expel Harms are thus the go-to glyphs.

Guest Ouroboros

with regards to the lvl 100 talents isnt Chi Explosion now considered the best to take in HFC?

after the nerfs to serenity and that soul dance just isnt needed in most encounters

Sign in to follow this