FORUMS
Damien

Marksmanship Hunter 6.2

Can it be that the MM hunter is currently a lot weaker compared to SV and BM? I consider myself a decent player, but whenever I raid BRF, hunters with other specs do way more damage in most situations - despite wearing noticeably weaker gear.

And yes, I do follow the recommended guides, including talents, rotations, glyphes, stats and so on. Also I use enchantements on my equipment, as well as flasks and buffs.

I'm not really sure, if the +15% damage for Aimed Shot in 6.2. will fix this imbalance....

Can it be that the MM hunter is currently a lot weaker compared to SV and BM? I consider myself a decent player, but whenever I raid BRF, hunters with other specs do way more damage in most situations - despite wearing noticeably weaker gear.

And yes, I do follow the recommended guides, including talents, rotations, glyphes, stats and so on. Also I use enchantements on my equipment, as well as flasks and buffs.

I'm not really sure, if the +15% damage for Aimed Shot in 6.2. will fix this imbalance....

If you are talking about BRF as a whole, then yes, MM currently under-performs compared to BM and SV.  As a whole, BRF if very burst AoE friendly, which MM absolutely sucks at and BM and SV are quite good at.  On a boss-by-boss basis, MM only really excels at Iron Maidens and Hans&Franz due to the cleave nature of Chimaera Shot.  Most other fights BM will generally win at due to the burst AoE it has and the superior ST damage with the 2 and 4 piece bonuses.

You doing less damage may also be because you are not playing correctly (yes, it's something nobody wants to hear, but is still an entirely viable assessment).  MM relies heavily on using Chimaera Shot on cd, and missing a couple has large implications on your dps.  If you feel this might be the case, then please don't hesitate to post in the Hunter Log Analysis Request Thread.

As for the Aimed Shot buff, it averages out to be ~3% buff overall, as Aimed Shot *should* be doing ~20% of your overall dps.

If you are talking about BRF as a whole, then yes, MM currently under-performs compared to BM and SV.  As a whole, BRF if very burst AoE friendly, which MM absolutely sucks at and BM and SV are quite good at.  On a boss-by-boss basis, MM only really excels at Iron Maidens and Hans&Franz due to the cleave nature of Chimaera Shot.  Most other fights BM will generally win at due to the burst AoE it has and the superior ST damage with the 2 and 4 piece bonuses.

You doing less damage may also be because you are not playing correctly (yes, it's something nobody wants to hear, but is still an entirely viable assessment).  MM relies heavily on using Chimaera Shot on cd, and missing a couple has large implications on your dps.  If you feel this might be the case, then please don't hesitate to post in the Hunter Log Analysis Request Thread.

As for the Aimed Shot buff, it averages out to be ~3% buff overall, as Aimed Shot *should* be doing ~20% of your overall dps.

So, is MM really good at anything right now or does it perform badly in every category? Because I feel that even in single target encounters BM puts out more damage in comparison.

I like playing as a MM hunter, though. Mostly because I've always wanted to play as a powerful archer and don't like having a pet with me at all. It's a real downer that MM feels pretty "weak" at the moment.

Maybe I'll consider posting a log for further analysis. Most of the time I'm using chimera shot directly on cool down, but I guess there's always room for improvements....

So, is MM really good at anything right now or does it perform badly in every category? Because I feel that even in single target encounters BM puts out more damage in comparison.

I like playing as a MM hunter, though. Mostly because I've always wanted to play as a powerful archer and don't like having a pet with me at all. It's a real downer that MM feels pretty "weak" at the moment.

Maybe I'll consider posting a log for further analysis. Most of the time I'm using chimera shot directly on cool down, but I guess there's always room for improvements....

Like I said, Iron Maidens and Hans and Franz, given your tanks stack the bosses as much as possible for Chimaera Shot cleave.  Blast Furnace can also be said, but it's a different type of strength: burning down priority targets rather than AoEing down adds.  The same can be said of Mythic Kromog with the pillars.

Guest Tyneic

I only have one quick question: Without the 4 piece setbonus, would haste be on a higher priority or unchanged?

I only have one quick question: Without the 4 piece setbonus, would haste be on a higher priority or unchanged?

No, haste is still an undesirable even without te t18 4pc. The weights for haste, vers, and mastery are roughly equal, but behind crit and multistrike.

Guest Dan Page

Slight nitpick, there is a misspelling under Misdirection.  It says Thread instead of Threat.  :)

Guest Chilli

The MM hunter guide is my favourite thing in Icy Veins, you guys do a great job on it and at keeping up updated. There are a lot of derpy hunters, but there would be way more without you. 

I'd like to see a macro added for kill shot mouse-over sniping though; I feel it's relevant to this guide and all MM hunters should be using it. I lost mine and came here looking for one to replace it, as I am not pro at the macro creation. Hope you will consider adding it in a future update. 

Thanks again for the work you do here. Makes a big difference in my play.

Guest Alphalucian

For the MM hunter trinket I see you have put the 800 ilevel version.  Did you account for the fact we only get the 715 ilevel version currently? as it only has half that agility and only procs for half the damage of the 800 ilevel one.

For the MM hunter trinket I see you have put the 800 ilevel version.  Did you account for the fact we only get the 715 ilevel version currently? as it only has half that agility and only procs for half the damage of the 800 ilevel one.

I answered you in your PMs to me, but to say this to the public:  Yes, SimulationCraft (which is used to generate the trinket comparison lists) accounts for the heirlooms being ilvl 715 and not ilvl 800.

Guest Gremilien

I just went through the guide and didn't see the crafted weapon in the list of BiS or suggested gear items. Was it neglected? Also. I need some help. I have the normal 4 set and I have done the valor upgrades on all pieces. When I equip all 4, I lose 162 agility and roughly 10% critical strike. This reduced the crit strikes of my chimera shot so i was not getting the RF buff from the 2 set at any decent rate of frequency. Should I try to get heroic tier pieces so I do not lose so much in stats? Thanks peoples!

There is no real BiS list listed out in the guide, the gearing up page simply lists all of the items (or most, perhaps) ordered from lowest item level at the top to highest and then alphabetically in the case of multiple with the same item level.

Regarding the tier sets, the 2 piece is not that big of a bonus, however, the 4 piece bonus is huge. You'll want to keep the 4 piece bonus and only switch pieces around for the off piece you use (ideally the Archimonde gloves > Xhul helmet > iskar chest > tyrant shoulders). You will obviously want heroic pieces over normal pieces, however don't drop the 4 piece just to get stats (or ever).

Guest dairy

i think it would be a bit overkill to install weakauras twice ? ^^

Talents, Tier 6 (Lv. 90):

Barrage is everytime the best chois, there is no different between single- or multi-target.

Knocking back of powershot isn't a good thing, becaus the adds are standing between us and our tank. if we knock back the adds, in worst case they are stay behind the tank and hit him from behind.

You can use Glaive Toss 3x and you will not done the same Dmg as using Barrage.

Pls add tipp:

But if you CAN'T handle Barrage, do not use it...

Pls add one more tipp:

To use Barrage while playing Inistance, stand with the nonpulled adds behind you and face the cleared area. so your barrage can't add.

Edit:

Icy veins' hunter guide is the wold best one!! :)

Edited by Katamarii

That is just plain wrong unless you can prove otherwise.

Powershot knocking back small adds is irrelevant, because all bosses and almost all boss adds are immune to the knockback. There is no boss in Hellfire Citadel where you use Powershot, and this is a problem.

You're forgetting that Barrage has a long cast time, and a much, much higher focus cost than Glaive Toss. Just comparing the damage they do does not even give half the picture.

Thanks for the compliment.

Guest Azaedrea

When it comes to Powershot, isn't it the best for some fights in HFC?

Like Fel Lord Zakuun, Tyrant Velhari, Gorefiend and Socrethar(if you don't dps ghosts).

6 hours ago, Guest Azaedrea said:

When it comes to Powershot, isn't it the best for some fights in HFC?

Like Fel Lord Zakuun, Tyrant Velhari, Gorefiend and Socrethar(if you don't dps ghosts).

It is true, and the guides are in the process of being updated to reflect this (among other things).

Guest Alex

Hey, Azortharion, do you plan to add back opening section to the guide? Would be very good to have one!

Guest vRoMz

Why isn't explosive trap metioned in the rotation page or anywhere else?

It is almost never worth using, and even when it is, it has to be fairly perfect and there are a lot of variables tied into how you wanna use it, and the difference between not using it and using it perfectly is negligible.

Guest Syrus

Hey guys great guide,

One error I found: Glyph of Traquilizing Shot makes the shot cost 40 focus. Not 20.

Guest Koyta

The description for the Glyph of Stampede says "By using the glyph, only one pet needs to meet these requirements for your Stampede to be optimal". This is not exactly right; the glyph of stampede summons 5 copies of the last pet that was out. I have a tenacity turtle hotkeyed, in case both tanks die and the raid needs a few extra seconds for rez, and I have noticed that whenever I use it and forget to reset it to a normal ferocity pet after the fight, the next stampede will be five turtles, and, I would assume, not as effective.

Guest Sas

Azor, will this guide be updated for pre-patch or will you wait until legion comes out fully?