FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Shadow Priest 6.2

Guest Vashesp

What's the reasoning behind low haste being better for DoT Weaving? I'm not doubting it, I've just read some other sites that say higher haste is better for DoT Weaving, but noone has any reasoning behind it.

Guest Uyghurlar

where can i find Shadow Priest DoT Timer that works with WOD 

I use TellMeWhen, its very nice

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in section about tier 7 talents, you reference Clarity of Purpose instead of Clarity of Power. Also in the same line, there is a misspelling; "fillar".

Guest Movez

I'm so confused. Is Dot weaving the highest single target? If so, is this the right stat priority? Everywhere else I look, CoP has Crit/Haste/Multistrike instead of Multistrike/Crit/Haste. I just spent a lot of time crafting gear for Multistrike/Crit.

Guest crokey

The main reason is because you should very rarely have to cast Power Word: Shield on yourself in a raid, basically. It is the job of the healers to keep you alive, and your job is to DPS. If you are using a global cooldown every time for PW:S, you are missing out on a lot of DPS. For those few times of super intense damage that you just have to shield yourself, it's not worth the glyph spot. And it doesn't always work, either.

Very outdated viewpoint

Regarding the stat priority questions, we believe that they are indeed correct. Low Haste for DoT weaving is there because... that's just what works out to the best DPS. One of the reasons is that if you have high Haste, other temporary Haste buffs push you under the 1 second global cooldown.

Guest try2play

Hi! Thanks for a great SP guide! I have only one question - since the last time I read a guide, it has been updated 2 times (last November 29), but I can not find what has changed.

Guest ArcaneX

Regarding Devouring Plague, it gives just as much dps, if u apply it twice after each other(when u have the orbs to do it)?

or do u have to wait for it to run out, before u apply it?  As i understood, it will just be added together into a new debuff, or am i wrong? :=)

Guest Spencer

in section 5.3.2, it says "This means that Vampiric Touch will essentially become your filler spell", but with Auspicious Spirits on a 4+ crowd of mobs, shouldn't it say Devouring Plague will be the filler spell? After all, a high turnover of DP casts is what A.Spirits is all about.

Guest Drarlor

In my opinion this guide is outdated regarding the current state of the game (6.0.3 with Highmaul live). DoT weaving is a good alternative but playing without DoTs is the best option we have today. I ran several simulations with no, light and heavy movement and playing just with MS, MB, SW:D and DP is the strongest playstyle for single target DPS. This means that Mastery becomes a very potent stat.

Looking at the results of my simulations the damage per execution of SW:P and VT is far behind MS. And even Insanity is just on par. So I switched to the Mindbender talent for a more consistent output because I removes pre-planning for the application of DP.

Guest mjlnr

For the CoP-based rotations, is Insanity sometimes skipped in favor of Mind Blast/SWD/etc.? There are many spells listed between Devouring Plague and Insanity, so it looks like often the buff will simply wear off. Is this correct?

Guest Tsura

Could you explain why exactly mastery is the worst stat for CoP Dot weaving? It increases the DMG for MS and MB, which are nearly 70% of the rota.

Guest Adalace

Section 5.1.1 COP standard single target priority: Shouldn't there be a note warning against hard-casting Mind Spike while Devouring Plague is active? Like, Mind Spike as a filler IF Devouring Plague is not active.

Guest jacobfdsteel

I think that the advice on glyphs is probably mistaken.

As far as I can see, Glyph of Reflective Shield makes Power Word Shielding a tank a considerably stronger filler option from a pure DPS perspective than Mind Spike or Mind Flay, never mind the healing it provides.

As such, unless you'll be inconveniencing a disc priest, I think it's more or less mandatory.

Guest Arineon

In the guide it talks about using Insanity and procs from Surge of Darkness in the same rotation. Aren't they from the same tier? I didn't think it was possible to have multiple talents from the same tier.

In the guide it talks about using Insanity and procs from Surge of Darkness in the same rotation. Aren't they from the same tier? I didn't think it was possible to have multiple talents from the same tier.

Of course it's not possible.

"The single target rotation for Shadow Priests is based on a rather simple priority system. " It's a priority system, thus if a point does not apply to your build, you skip it from the priority list.

I think that the advice on glyphs is probably mistaken.

As far as I can see, Glyph of Reflective Shield makes Power Word Shielding a tank a considerably stronger filler option from a pure DPS perspective than Mind Spike or Mind Flay, never mind the healing it provides.

As such, unless you'll be inconveniencing a disc priest, I think it's more or less mandatory.

Reflective Shield only works on the Priest that casts it, otherwise all Disc Priests would take it and top DPS from reflecting raid-wide damage.

• Like 1

in section 5.3.2, it says "This means that Vampiric Touch will essentially become your filler spell", but with Auspicious Spirits on a 4+ crowd of mobs, shouldn't it say Devouring Plague will be the filler spell? After all, a high turnover of DP casts is what A.Spirits is all about.

Filler spell, in this sense, means you cast it when you have literally nothing else to cast. If you don't have 3+ orbs AND Shadow Word: Pain is on all targets with a duration left above Pandemic AND Mind Blast+L90 Talent+Shadowfiend are on cooldown AND you don't have any Surge of Darkness procs / Shadow Word: Insanity isn't up (for Mind Flay Insanity), then you should put Vampiric Touch on targets. It becomes the lowest priority, aka, filler.

• Like 1

For the CoP-based rotations, is Insanity sometimes skipped in favor of Mind Blast/SWD/etc.? There are many spells listed between Devouring Plague and Insanity, so it looks like often the buff will simply wear off. Is this correct?

Correct. You never want to delay your orb generators any longer than you have to. This means, unless you are already at 5 orbs, Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death (sub-20%) are the highest priority. If you have 5 orbs, Devouring Plague is the highest priority.

This also means that, during execute, you will only be using Insanity (or Shadowfiend/L90 Talent) as a filler when you're waiting for SWD and MB to come off cooldown.

• Like 1

In my opinion this guide is outdated regarding the current state of the game (6.0.3 with Highmaul live). DoT weaving is a good alternative but playing without DoTs is the best option we have today. I ran several simulations with no, light and heavy movement and playing just with MS, MB, SW:D and DP is the strongest playstyle for single target DPS. This means that Mastery becomes a very potent stat.

Looking at the results of my simulations the damage per execution of SW:P and VT is far behind MS. And even Insanity is just on par. So I switched to the Mindbender talent for a more consistent output because I removes pre-planning for the application of DP.

Damage Per Execute Time (DPET) is a misleading metric. The logic for DoT Weaving is as follows:

When you use DP and channel Insanity, you are not using any abilities that benefit from the 40% damage increase from having CoP spec'd. If you chain two DP+Insanity rotations together, you have enough time to let SWP and VT completely run its course on the target, all the while not using a single ability that gains 40% damage from CoP. As long as the amount of total damage that VT and SWP each do is more than how much damage a Mind Spike would have done (with that same GCD), it is a DPS gain.

• Like 1

Regarding Devouring Plague, it gives just as much dps, if u apply it twice after each other(when u have the orbs to do it)?

or do u have to wait for it to run out, before u apply it?  As i understood, it will just be added together into a new debuff, or am i wrong? :=)

You are correct, the amount of damage that Devouring Plague would do if you cast a second DP on the same target is the same as two independent casts. However, there are 2 very common cases in which you don't want to do this:

1) If you take Insanity, you can refresh the channel of Insanity right before the Shadow Word: Insanity buff is about to fall off you, granting you 2 extra GCDs of Insanity damage. If you cast DP on the target while you still have a SWI buff up, you're shortening the total amount of time you can cast Insanity by 2 GCDs. If you are orb-capped and have orb generating spells coming off cooldown soon, then it is worth casting that second DP. Otherwise, hold on to it.

2) If you take Surge of Darkness, each tick of Devouring Plague can proc SoD. If you refresh an existing DP on a target, you lose out on extra ticks that could have generated extra SoD procs. Just as above with Insanity, hold off on recasting until you have to. IF you have more than one target, you can also cast DP on to a second target and not lose any ticks to proc SoD.

• Like 1

Could you explain why exactly mastery is the worst stat for CoP Dot weaving? It increases the DMG for MS and MB, which are nearly 70% of the rota.

I'll send an update to Vlad about this (to help clarify different situations), but what is listed is accurate. Mastery affects only single target damage. Once you introduce additional targets (for multidotting), or DoT up targets because you're moving around, the value of the other stats increase dramatically while Mastery's value plummets. The only case where Mastery is truly the best stat for CoP (DoT Weaving or otherwise) is if you have a single target (Patchwerk) encounter with little to no movement, or, predictable/planned movement you can do DoT Weaving around.

• Like 1

Guest Dreadwish

Isn't it strange then, that the 2 shadowpriests in Paragon stack up on Mastery (and secondly Multistrike)?

Sign in to follow this