FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
m4DD0gg

Stat priority

Hi guys - great website by the way.

So i am about ilvl463 and going to be raiding this week, however i have read many contradicting articles on stat weighting for prot warriors in mop.

I have asked mr robot and most of his recommendations are to reforge mastery (and everything else) into either dodge or parry....however other great guide websites (noxxic) still recommend the opposite.....reforge everything to mastery.

So a tad confusing :s

I am assuming that a good deal of Stamina is still required - currently have 18k.

Also are 7.5% hit and expertise still valid?

First of all, sorry for my poor English.

I have the same doubt. Reading other guides says reforge to mastery.

Thanks

yes i have come to the conclusion that mr robot is full of shit.

yes i have come to the conclusion that mr robot is full of shit.

In fact I won't entirely disagree with you. Still that it doesn't change the fact that what you said is wrong. Yes the default is shit but the edit with the piorty's set by icy-veins I use work's wonders with prot warrior tanking. I will be tanking for my 25 man group (excited!) so I had to look and test ALOT. What you need to do if you are going to go by icy-veins stat piorty is that you need to edit the stat weight ( On askmrrobot) from 1 Dodge to 0.5 (due to this being Parry has to be 2x over Dodge) and set Mastery from 0.5 to 1 (due to it being the best). So instead of being 1 for Parry and Dodge it will be 1 for Mastery (due to the main secondary stat) and Parry. This should help if it doesn't I am sorry :) If you want an example look up Clisis-Mal'Ganis

In fact I won't entirely disagree with you. Still that it doesn't change the fact that what you said is wrong. Yes the default is shit but the edit with the piorty's set by icy-veins I use work's wonders with prot warrior tanking. I will be tanking for my 25 man group (excited!) so I had to look and test ALOT. What you need to do if you are going to go by icy-veins stat piorty is that you need to edit the stat weight ( On askmrrobot) from 1 Dodge to 0.5 (due to this being Parry has to be 2x over Dodge) and set Mastery from 0.5 to 1 (due to it being the best). So instead of being 1 for Parry and Dodge it will be 1 for Mastery (due to the main secondary stat) and Parry. This should help if it doesn't I am sorry Posted Image If you want an example look up Clisis-Mal'Ganis

In fact I won't entirely disagree with you. Still that it doesn't change the fact that what you said is wrong. Yes the default is shit but the edit with the piorty's set by icy-veins I use work's wonders with prot warrior tanking. I will be tanking for my 25 man group (excited!) so I had to look and test ALOT. What you need to do if you are going to go by icy-veins stat piorty is that you need to edit the stat weight ( On askmrrobot) from 1 Dodge to 0.5 (due to this being Parry has to be 2x over Dodge) and set Mastery from 0.5 to 1 (due to it being the best). So instead of being 1 for Parry and Dodge it will be 1 for Mastery (due to the main secondary stat) and Parry. This should help if it doesn't I am sorry Posted Image If you want an example look up Clisis-Mal'Ganis

Thanks for the reply and incite. I guess it still maybe to early to tell however i have reforged again to mastery and raised my hit and expertise to like 3% each. Ran a few hc's like this and it feels comfortable.

Will see how it goes in first raid.

Thanks for the reply and incite. I guess it still maybe to early to tell however i have reforged again to mastery and raised my hit and expertise to like 3% each. Ran a few hc's like this and it feels comfortable.

Will see how it goes in first raid.

Thats all anyone can hope for and im glad to help anyway I can. I have also made a macro (I will making a thread on it) that includes Sheild Slam with Sheild Barrier ;) I will put my reasoning in the thread.

This was the exact topic I was looking for when I came here. I too have been bouncing around these stat priorites a lot. Some guides even say to cap your hit and expertise first. I don't really think those guides our right however. I do understand that we want lots of Mastery because it will generate rage and and dps when we Crit Block. However, Block and avoidence (dodge and parry) are seperate checks now. Before you wanted all three of these stats to combine to reach a magic number that made you unhittable. That is no longer the case. Now there is first a check to see if you blocked. If you did not block it checks to see if you dodged or parried. So if we block a lot then we will not dodge and parry which means we will not get that refresh on revenge as much. This will hurt aoe threat as well as rage generation.

Now I could be wrong about it huring rage generation due to the fact that we generate rage from vengence when we get those crit blocks but I am unsure if we get more or less rage from vengence. Also I am fairly certain that not procing those revenge cooldowns will hurt the aoe damage/threat.

So does this change anything? Do we stack Mastery only so high? I understand the dimenishing returns of dodge and parry but taking no damage is better then taking some damage when you block. Thoughts? Comments?

Last night I reforged everything to mastery and went to Mr. Robot to see what kind of enchants I needed. When I loaded my toon, it said that my reforging was correct, with only a couple of pieces reforging dodge into parry (the pieces already had master on them.) I didn't get a chance to test it out, but moar block is sexy, amirite?. My two jewlers gems are stamina, plus one fractured to fill the other slot.

When MOP launched, the majority of people I spoke with were under the impression that hit and expertise were going to be our stat priorities, but after gaining gear and not bothering with those two, I've only come to the conclusion that we don't need as much hit or expertise as I had originally thought.

Whatever the case may be, it appears as though Mastery is ahead of all other secondary stats, no matter what you're gearing as as a Protection Warrior.

Regarding the importance of Hit and Expertise, our guide has more or less recently been updated to reflect their importance more accurately. Basically, I believe that you can choose whether you want to prioritise Dodge and Parry over them, or the other way around. And personally, I think that going for Hit and Expertise (up to 7.5% and 15% respectively) after Mastery is a good idea.

When MOP launched, the majority of people I spoke with were under the impression that hit and expertise were going to be our stat priorities, but after gaining gear and not bothering with those two, I've only come to the conclusion that we don't need as much hit or expertise as I had originally thought.

I think right now there is no exact right or wrong in this regard. If you crosscheck the guides here, the discussions on EJ and Thecks calculations (dont have the link here) the answer basically is: It depends ...

What i mean by this is: Your gearing and stat priorities may vary depending on the boss you are currently working on, your co-tank and maybe even your healers.

Granted, im only working on Elegon normal right now, but from my limited experience going for hit/exp is a very valid option. I first started gemming for some stamina up to around 500k raidbuffed and then tried different reforges/gemmings. What i "feel" most comfortable with is going for hit/exp to fully control my rage. I really like being able to garantuee my shieldblock uptime for garajal for example. Having more rage means more shieldblock/barrier and therefor reduced dmg intake. Best way to decide would be to take a look at your own logs and do your calculations based on your raid.

For me the limited amount of secondary stats that i have is providing far better results when put into hit/exp then reforging to mastery/dodge/parry.

On a side note: The DPS gain is quite significant

Edited by Scrounger
  • Like 1