FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Protection Warrior 7.1

Guest Kreuztal

the tier 45 talent, Unyielding Strikes, is misleadingly labeled and severely underrated in your guide. It reduces the rage cost of heroic strike by 5 for 5 secs stacking up to 6 times, therefore at 5 and 6 stacks it is worth it to be spamming heroic strike, allowing 4 heroic strikes for a total rage cost of 20 at 5 stacks, and 4 heroic strikes at zero rage cost at 6 stacks.

the tier 45 talent, Unyielding Strikes, is misleadingly labeled and severely underrated in your guide. It reduces the rage cost of heroic strike by 5 for 5 secs stacking up to 6 times, therefore at 5 and 6 stacks it is worth it to be spamming heroic strike, allowing 4 heroic strikes for a total rage cost of 20 at 5 stacks, and 4 heroic strikes at zero rage cost at 6 stacks.

Thank you, we've amended the section!

Guest Wartank

Would it just be better to stack mastery on gemming vs having parry/mastery? 

Guest Iraves

I dont get it...

Call me thick but They have removed Parry and Dodge?

Now as a tank i have to stack cirt and haste?

Stat priority? Stam>Armour>Mastery>Haste>Crit

Confused :S

I seem to do a fuck ton more damage though, although its hard to gauge as thats about 3-4k damage :0

Sorry repeat of the previous post, i have registered

I dont get it...

Call me thick but They have removed Parry and Dodge?

Now as a tank i have to stack cirt and haste?

Stat priority? Stam>Armour>Mastery>Haste>Crit

Confused :S

I seem to do a fuck ton more damage though, although its hard to gauge as thats about 3-4k damage :0

I have been looking at askmrrobot and for defensive they have for the primary build where crit is the first stat and bonus armor is third. I know that right now alot of stuff is in the air and that it is viable. So i have to ask. Looking at the legendary cloaks, is the melee dps one better for tanking right now. I know you loose the life saving feature of the cloak but on the dps one you gain parry and an AOE agro generator. Was just curious on the thoughts on this.

Guest whisp

Guide still includes Recklessness as a cd that is affected by Vial in the trinkets section. 

RIP prot recklessness.

Some of the gear isn't included in the list, but it doesn't matter much anyway.

Thank you for updating such a well written and thoughtful guide.

Guest dickdastardly

Why are stormbolt and shockwave not considered CC while warbringer is?

Gems for Red slot might need some changes in the guide, since Expertise changed to Haste. I don't know whether Prot Warrior need Haste in new expansion?

Edited by Zvon

I have been looking at askmrrobot and for defensive they have for the primary build where crit is the first stat and bonus armor is third. I know that right now alot of stuff is in the air and that it is viable. So i have to ask. Looking at the legendary cloaks, is the melee dps one better for tanking right now. I know you loose the life saving feature of the cloak but on the dps one you gain parry and an AOE agro generator. Was just curious on the thoughts on this.

Bonus Armor is amazing, so I don't really see the DPS cloak coming in handy unless you *really* need the AoE damage, or you're just looking to maximise your DPS at the expense of your survivability.

Guide still includes Recklessness as a cd that is affected by Vial in the trinkets section. 

RIP prot recklessness.

Some of the gear isn't included in the list, but it doesn't matter much anyway.

Thank you for updating such a well written and thoughtful guide.

Should be fixed now. Thank you very much for the compliment!

Why are stormbolt and shockwave not considered CC while warbringer is?

Because in the case of Stormbolt and Shockwave, their impact is so strong that the performance-enhancing element overtakes the (frankly not so important) CC-element. Warbringer is basically just CC and nothing more.

Gems for Red slot might need some changes in the guide, since Expertise changed to Haste. I don't know whether Prot Warrior need Haste in new expansion?

Haste is good, or at least it's a stat worth getting until we have access to Versatility and Multistrike. Come Warlords of Draenor launch, the gemming will change.

Guest Thaseel

Hey, just curious, have you guys considered the weapon enchant Executioner as main hand enchant, seeing as crit is good for tanks now? It's from TBC, it gives 120 crit on proc, don't know the cooldown or proc-rate at all, just stumbled upon it while running around in Outland.

Might be worth checking out!

Guest Thaseel

Hey again, after leveling skinning/leatherworking I also stumbled upon the leg enchant Scorched Leg Armor. It gives 28 atk power and 23 crit, surely that must be better than Angerhide Leg Armor (19 str 11 crit)? Maybe I am missing something here..

Also, check out the "old" leg enchants for other classes, since the stat crunch alot of old enchants/gems have become much better than the MoP ones. Dont know if this is intentional by Blizz.

- Thaseel

The differences for these old enchants are tiny, and clearly unintentional. It's all going to be irrelevant once Warlords of Draenor is here, so we honestly didn't want to go through the trouble :)

Guest Mike

Guide still shows best off hand for prot warrior is PARRY??? Also glyph of gag order is gone.

Guide still shows best off hand for prot warrior is PARRY??? Also glyph of gag order is gone.

The guide does not show a best off-hand. Items are listed by item level and alphabetical order. It says just that before the list starts.

The Glyph of Gag Order glitch has been fixed. Thank you.

Guest Kalleion

The last bit in single target rotation is confusing.

wow_icon_ability_rogue_ambush.jpgHeroic Strike is not on the same global cooldown as your other abilities, which means you can use it at any point of your rotation. The reason why we put it in the priority is to show its importance in your rotation. You want to avoid spamming Devastate once you already have 6 stacks of Unyielding Strikes, and use them on Heroic Strike.

Why not spam both? What would I be "using" on Devastate that is better off used on Heroic Strike? The only thing I could see here would be stacking to 5 then holding off on Devastate to get more cheap HSes out. Even then you'd miss out on Enrage and Sword and Board opportunities as well as higher damage.

Guest Jeremy

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet or not. In the protection section under section 8:Tier 7 talents. The abilities listed that are effected by Anger Management are wrong (I think). The ones listed in the guide are Avatar, Bloodbath, Storm bolt, Shockwave, Dragon Roar, Mocking Banner, Heroic Leap, Recklessness, and Die by the Sword. Those are the talents for Arms or Fury specs. They should be (according to the tooltip) Avatar, Bloodbath, BLADESTORM, Storm bolt, Shockwave, Dragon Roar, Mocking Banner, Heroic Leap, SHIELD WALL, DEMO SHOUT, and LAST STAND. 

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but just F.Y.I.

The site rocks. Very helpful and well written. 

Guest Aldarion

AskMr Robot says Multistrike is better than Haste.

And you dont mention that Multistrike triggers Blood Craze.

Its a nice self heal which is further increased by Resolve and your Versatility.

Guest Vokuhila

Hey VLAD, Hey ICYVEINS team.

just saying thanks for the great Protection Warrior guide. Keep up the great work. And let me know if there is any cap we can reach in the close future around parry dodge mastery critcal strike etc.

a everyday visitor!

Vokuhila, Garosh

Guest Boonkers

There seem to be an error in the Macro section. 
It talks about Hand of Salvation (and hand of protection) but the macro will remove Hand of Protection and Hand of Sacrifice.

Thanks for a good guide! Really love what you guys do

Sign in to follow this