FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Protection Warrior 7.1

You're missing the fact that mastery increases attack power and that critical blocks trigger Enrage as well. As for crit being better than mastery, it would be IFF Shield Barrier wasn't as weak as it is right now. It's in a ridiculously bad place, absorbing only about half of a single melee attack. Thus, having more rage from crit doesn't balance out the loss of static and crit block from mastery.

Aah right, didnt think about that. 

Thansk for the straight up answer ! :)

Guest Guest

Hello,

I wondered alot when reading through your stat priority, critical strike being quite high:

Critical Strike provides additional avoidance due to increased parry chance (thanks to wow_icon_inv_sword_30.jpgRiposte), as well as additional Rage generation due to triggering wow_icon_spell_shadow_unholyfrenzy.jpgEnrage.

Riposte? I do not have that talent on my Protection Warrior. I looked at least 5x through the spellbook. I also searched the web and it's a talent given at 76, however I do not have it? I boosted my warrior from 1-90 by the way.

Guest Tsamane

I find that Ravager is good for Single Target bosses, as it gives a dps boost and a 30% chance up for parry.

So even a single target bosses, you should be dropping it on the boss at times the boss isnt moving, as it doesnt require any extra work once it goes down.

Ive tried Anger Management, and found it to be the worse of the t7 talents

Guest Yoko

Hey guys, so i see that the priority on AskMrRobot is wrong and i would like to edit my weights to reflect the priority from Icy Veins, could you guys help me out ?

Guest Titan

why does this site STILL not have an official Gladiator guide?

its getting frustrating, having to resort to Noxxic... as THEY have had a guide on their side now for quite some time!

Guest raikan

Hi,

I found an error

wow_icon_inv_axe_66.jpgHeroic Throw is worth a mention. This ability can be used at range, generates a high amount of threat, and it has no cooldown or mana cost

underlined - The ability actually has a 6 second cooldown.

Guest Callum

"wow_icon_warrior_talent_icon_ravager.jpgRavager is the best choice on encounters with multiple enemies, as as it deals amazing damage and provides additional avoidance for its duration. Note that for raw survival against multiple enemies, Gladiator's Resolve is still the better choice."

Is quoted under: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/protection-warrior-pve-tank-spec-builds-talents-glyphs

Where as the following:

wow_icon_warrior_talent_icon_ravager.jpgRavager is the talent of choice in this tier, unless you are going for wow_icon_spell_warrior_gladiatorstance.jGladiator's Resolve, but this latter option is not for tanking.

The optimal Ravager use has been explained as part of the rotation sections at the start of this guide.

Is quoted under: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/protection-warrior-pve-tank-rotation-cooldowns-abilities#survival-abilities

Seems like your guide it s a little ambigous and could use some editing for clarification.

Guest TJ

Something I've started doing while tanking, when I pull 4 or more mobs, the first thing I'll do is shield block.  All the critical blocks seem to trigger revenge, and I've been able to throw up a bunch of shield barriers a couple times in a few seconds by doing this.  I feel like there should be a mention somewhere in the guide about this.

-TJ

Hey guys, so i see that the priority on AskMrRobot is wrong and i would like to edit my weights to reflect the priority from Icy Veins, could you guys help me out ?

There was a thread where this was talked about. Right now at this gear level crit is the better stat.

Guest Sh1Zzle

Hi,

I found an error

underlined - The ability actually has a 6 second cooldown.

with level 100 it has not

Guest Guest

I think you clearly miss the point of Gladiator's Resolve. By saying it is not for tanking it made me asked if this guide was really thrustworthy. In case you missed it, when you pick Gladiator's Resolve it decreases your damage taken while in DEFENSIVE stance by 5%. You do not pick this talent for the stance but for the damage reduction. Ravage is clearly a good option in multi target and dongeon farming but when you are tanking raid bosses, you go all the way in Gladiator's Resolve, espacially in heroic.

Also, you should make a guide on Resolve because a good tank should ALWAYS keep an eye on it. Use weakaura to place it somewhere where you can clearly see the stacks count. You should only use healing tonic when Resolve is maxed out or else it is a waste, use armor pot instead. Don't use warlock candy because it shares the same CD as healing tonic and healing tonic are better. Also in your shield barrier guide you didnt mention in any point that it scales up with Resolve. Shield barrier should only be used when your Resolve is high and you should also take in consideration that using 2 shield barrier in a row drop down your Resolve stacks so the next shield barrier will be low. A combinaison of shield barrier when high Resolve and shield block is the best to maintain high mitigation.

Feel free to comment on this, i am still learning too!

Guest tankyspank-thrall

I think the food buff section needs updating. Savage feasts give 100 mastery, not 150 stamina. Also the single serving snacks give 75 stamina not 112.

Of course that leaves me with the question, which is better 100 mastery or 75 stamina?

I think you clearly miss the point of Gladiator's Resolve. By saying it is not for tanking it made me asked if this guide was really thrustworthy. In case you missed it, when you pick Gladiator's Resolve it decreases your damage taken while in DEFENSIVE stance by 5%. You do not pick this talent for the stance but for the damage reduction. Ravage is clearly a good option in multi target and dongeon farming but when you are tanking raid bosses, you go all the way in Gladiator's Resolve, espacially in heroic.

Also, you should make a guide on Resolve because a good tank should ALWAYS keep an eye on it. Use weakaura to place it somewhere where you can clearly see the stacks count. You should only use healing tonic when Resolve is maxed out or else it is a waste, use armor pot instead. Don't use warlock candy because it shares the same CD as healing tonic and healing tonic are better. Also in your shield barrier guide you didnt mention in any point that it scales up with Resolve. Shield barrier should only be used when your Resolve is high and you should also take in consideration that using 2 shield barrier in a row drop down your Resolve stacks so the next shield barrier will be low. A combinaison of shield barrier when high Resolve and shield block is the best to maintain high mitigation.

Feel free to comment on this, i am still learning too!

We say that Gladiator's STANCE is not for tanking. Gladiator's Resolve, as we say, is the best choice for survivability. At least, this is what I had intended to write, and as far as I can see it's all that's written in the guide on the matter. If it says anywhere that Gladiator's Resolve serves no tanking purpose, please point it out specifically so I can fix it. Thanks!

The last bit in single target rotation is confusing.

wow_icon_ability_rogue_ambush.jpgHeroic Strike is not on the same global cooldown as your other abilities, which means you can use it at any point of your rotation. The reason why we put it in the priority is to show its importance in your rotation. You want to avoid spamming Devastate once you already have 6 stacks of Unyielding Strikes, and use them on Heroic Strike.

Why not spam both? What would I be "using" on Devastate that is better off used on Heroic Strike? The only thing I could see here would be stacking to 5 then holding off on Devastate to get more cheap HSes out. Even then you'd miss out on Enrage and Sword and Board opportunities as well as higher damage.

The 30 rage cost of Heroic Strike should be used on defense abilities (Shield Block, Shield Barrier).  Heroic Strike is best used when you have 5+ stacks of Unyeilding Strikes (gaining 1/Devastate) OR when Ultimatum procs (from Shield Slam crits).  Unless the cost is "free", Devastate is superior since it has two advantages

1) Chance to Enrage (+10 Rage and +10% damage/8 sec)

2) Chance to proc Shield Slam

Shield Slam hits harder, generates Rage, and can proc Ultimatum (free guaranteed Heroic Strike crit).

Edited by Makroshec

Guest Lorrey

Are Enraged Regeneration is really affected by versality or Resolve buff? It says that there are always 30% of max HP...

We say that Gladiator's STANCE is not for tanking. Gladiator's Resolve, as we say, is the best choice for survivability. At least, this is what I had intended to write, and as far as I can see it's all that's written in the guide on the matter. If it says anywhere that Gladiator's Resolve serves no tanking purpose, please point it out specifically so I can fix it. Thanks!

Hi,

This is a great guide, thank you. On the above, Callum already quoted out the relevant passage in his comment - it's at the end of the page on rotation: 

wow_icon_warrior_talent_icon_ravager.jpg Ravager is the talent of choice in this tier, unless you are going for wow_icon_spell_warrior_gladiatorstance.j Gladiator's Resolve, but this latter option is not for tanking.

This seems inconsistent with the guidance in the talents page. Given that gladiator's resolve is the best for survivability, it clearly is an option for tanking and it's doubtful ravager is the talent of choice. Better to say ravager is the talent of choice for dps and not mention gladiator's resolve under rotation?

Guest Justin

Hi everyone. As always a very well put together guide.  But I noticed some "inconsistencies" with our Stat priorities from website to website.  While usually I let Icy Veins settle these types of disputes, you seem to be the odd man out so to speak.  Max-dps, Ask Mr. Robot, etc, etc << they all quote our stat prio as Bonus Armor > Strength >= Stamina > Crit > Mastery > Versatility > Haste

Long winded way of asking why you are suggesting I take Mastery over Crit?  All other information I can find is the opposite. 

Also, as far as the level 100 talents.  While in the section on talents you say that G.Stance is the "go-to" talent, where as in the expanded section on ability and CD usage you contradict this.  Im just wondering if maybe a bit of clarification is needed to the expanded section on this talent, incase you were referring to a specific situation.  Regardless, any help anyone could provide would be very much apreciated.

Guest Glowii

To me i would soon rather have the 30% Parry and added DPS with Ravager while popping a soft CD over having 5% damage reduction with Glad Resolve. I feel that i have something extra to use if need be and not something that just passive. Trash seems to give people more issues than the actual bosses.

I'm wondering if people are having issues with Gladiator Resolve in general?

If you take the Level 100 Tallant Gladiator Resolve you "DO NOT" use the Gladiator stance as a Tank. You maintain Protection Stance at all times. Gladiator Stance is an alternative DPS spec while wearing Tanking gear. You basicly become a DPS Sword and Board Warrior.

Thats my understanding.

ravager gives 30% parry while active successful parry and dodge reset the CD on revenge and that generates rage ...

so depending on the fight is how you want to decide you talents for fights like tectus (4 motes at once) and butcher (enrage at 30%) ravager works really well as you can use a few times before you need it ... and it works as a "major" CD in times like stated before as it will damage, generate rage through revenge CD resets to use your negation abilities more and it gives 30% parry all at the same time and you have control over when you need it instead of just spead out over the fight :P a good tank is ready for any situation and open to what works best for his tanking roll in the fight :/ and willing to quickly switch talents to meet the fight i'm sure  we all agree on that :D for braken spore im going to take gladiators resolve since he doesnt attack very fast and there is only 1 add at a time to worry about ... the fights i mentioned before and even ko'ragh (if on adds) round up the adds/drop banner use ravager in a silence circle and there is way more done for you than -5% will do for you cause of the points made above and you can use it every vulnerability your healers will be very happy with all the negation you get :D YAY happy healers ... but if your on boss ravager isn't really going do much at all :/ 

i think your getting my points :P there isn't only one best way to be talented and glyph and you need to know when it's gonna work best and work all the mechanics at same time -_- tanks have it hard but it's worth it :D

and this rant started from just wanting to point out that the talent guide should point out the "revenge CD resets from parrying while ravager is up to generate rage" as well :P please make sure people factor this in for certain situations only it's worth giving thought to .

There is some misleading information on the "Protection Warrior Tank Statistics Priority" page. I see this was mentioned/questioned by a previous poster, but it still has not been addressed in the guide.

Versatility provides mitigation and increases your self healing (wow_icon_inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier / wow_icon_ability_warrior_focusedrage.jpgEnraged Regeneration, etc.) and DPS/threat generation.

This is incorrect for Enraged Regeneration.  Enraged regeneration is a flat percent heal based off of total HP and does not scale with Versatility or Resolve.  This is easily confirmed by using the ability and checking that the initial tick is indeed 10% of your current total HP regardless of any Versatility or Resolve you may have.

Guest Wargurce

Just FYI:

1.2. Specific Macros for Protection Warriors 1.2.1. Hand of Protection/Salvation Cancelaura Macro

• /cancelaura Hand of Protection
  • /cancelaura Hand of Salvation

This macro is very useful to have. It allows you to cancel a wow_icon_spell_holy_sealofprotection.jpgHand of Protection or wow_icon_spell_holy_sealofsalvation.jpgHand of Salvation that may have been cast on you. Hand of Protection prevents you from attacking (and being attacked), while Hand of Salvation affects your threat generation.

Guest sortino

For some reason I can't keep aggro on mobs as a Prot warrior, shockwave and thunderclap barely work. I don't know of it's my gear or skill or a combination of both but it's very frustrating. 

Guest Derptin

Has anyone considered using the Draenic Rejuv Pots in place of the Armor Pot? It lets me get the use of two healing potions instead of one per fight and it gets the benefit of resolve so it's a massive heal.

Guest Collwyr

not sure if this is going to get answered anytime soon since Vlad has replied in a couple of months but I was wondering since the stat prio has changed when it last got updated "feb I think it says" I was wondering could you possibly show the weights so I can customize it in "Ask Mr Robot" seeing as their current PVE guide for protection warrior is different to this guide, and frankly I'm more inclined to follow the guides on this site than Ask Mr Robot, but I find it hard to judge what values to put on these stat prio's when editing the weights in Ask Mr Robot.

thanks in advance.

not sure if this is going to get answered anytime soon since Vlad has replied in a couple of months but I was wondering since the stat prio has changed when it last got updated "feb I think it says" I was wondering could you possibly show the weights so I can customize it in "Ask Mr Robot" seeing as their current PVE guide for protection warrior is different to this guide, and frankly I'm more inclined to follow the guides on this site than Ask Mr Robot, but I find it hard to judge what values to put on these stat prio's when editing the weights in Ask Mr Robot.

thanks in advance.

AMR is a tool not a guide :)

But to get precise answer, I'd recommend posting it to the warrir forums where the community can answer more quickly :)

Sign in to follow this