FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Feng the Accursed

We just got our 2nd kill on him tonight and as the tank who gets the shroud of reversal buff, i've been trying to figure out the way to maximize my DPS. I know that the dots from lash, spear, and shock and the channel of velocity and epicenter hit like a truck when you're positioned correctly, but i cant seem to figure out some of the other ones.

We finished the achieve tonight, and when i used wildfire spark on feng, i couldn't tell if it actually did anything to him. No debuff that i noticed was applied and i didn't see anything in recount that mentioned it.

Also, i couldn't get a reading on how much damage arcane resonance did to him. When stolen and applied, it says it ticks him for 65k a second for every player that is near him (At times, we had him at 25 stacks when a velocity was going out and we were in a soft circle stack around him). It seems that even if you cant maintain 25 stacks (lets assume an average of 15 for its duration), that would still be 975k per sec for the duration (which i believe is 8 seconds), which would be by far the most effective means to boost DPS.

When we move to heroics, we plan on using the stun strategy for epicenter in P1 but in P2 and P3, it seems that the abilities are only used to help beat the enrage timer.

Any thoughts?

Moonrisê - Greymane

Winterborne

My only thought is that in P2, disrupting his stacks of Draw Flame seems rather critical, and certainly should be so if the damage were higher.

The guide still states:

"Shroud of Reversal appears to play a much less important role in your raid's success than Nullification Barrier. It is mostly useful for obtaining the achievement associated with this encounter, as we explain in our achievement section. Outside of this, it is only useful for dealing a bit of extra damage to the boss. We were unable to test Shroud of Reversal properly on the Beta, and we will update the guide as soon as we know more."

Also, "Due to the 30-second cooldown of Shroud of Reversal, you can theoretically have every Epicenter covered by this."

Is this accurate? We were having to alternate the Shroud and the Barrier to cover Epicenter casts. First night of raiding tonight, so we may be missing something? Is anyone successfully catching them all with the Shroud?

Thanks for the catch on the first part.

And yes, it is accurate that you can theoretically catch every Epicenter. But as was pointed out in the post below yours, it's not really reliable.

Cheers for all the comments on this guys. Our tanks are still struggling to try and stun the boss for epicenter so we end up using quite a lot of cooldowns for this phase and burn up a lot of mana.

Still got him to 9% though so a little more gear and some more tries should get us a kill this week.

Are there any tips I can give to my tanks to make the stuns / use of shroud of reversal more efficient. Im not 100% sure if its bad timing, bad tanking or just a little buggy as to why we only stun him occasionally. Sometimes it actual makes things worse as we are prepared for a stun (so dont pop a cooldown such as barrier) then end up taking some really bad ticks and waste the barrier cd anyway.

We was not able to clear him last night, It took us awhile to get a strategy down for the boss which consist of letting him take all the flame stacks the first time and eating the 2nd and 4th times. The reason for that is the boss always ended up with around 14-21 stacks by the time we transitioned to phase 3.

The boss itself is very buggy and unpredictable. For phase one there are times when lightning fist would not stun me, regardless of whether i back up and clearly am in the lightning movement animation. There are also times when he did not cast lightning fist at all and just went straight into epicenter.

Also is it normal for him to reach 21 stacks in a single flame pull?

Thanks, guys. I've made several updates to the guide.

Sneakyferret, 21 seems a bit much. Keep in mind that the fire still touches/damages players if it hits them on the way to the boss, when he's sucking it in. I'm not positive that those hits spawn new wildfire patches (which would then get subsequently absorbed right away, resulting in more stacks), but it's likely. The way I worded the Phase Three Strategy now should give you a better way to make sure no one gets hit by those fires.

There is something funky going on with Draw Flame stacks. Our kill (link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/44firgq2gcejbm4k/sum/damageDone/?s=4728&e=5225) no one took any damage from Wildfire (shows in WoLogs as "Wildfire", we had people take a few ticks on earlier attempts, but no one took damage here, yet his draw flame stack was high (we only had one actually go off due to Nullification Barrier on 1st and 3rd) on the one time it went off, 24 stacks according to the log.

Guest Scrounger

Hi all,

adding to Krynsa's post i have a question if anyone is sure what impacts the number of Wildfire Infusion stacks. When we did the Boss yesterday we usually ended up with around 10 stacks for the first draw flame, then used nullification barrier on second and forth, but on the thirs draw flame he suddenly jumps to 18-25 stacks and i have no idea (or at least im not sure) why.

When i tryd to analyse out logs with this query " [{"spellNames": ["Wildfire"]}, {"actorNames": ["Wildfire Spark"]}, {"spellNames": ["Wildfire Spark"]}, {"spellNames": ["Draw Flame"]}, {"spellIds": [116821]}, {"actorNames": ["Wildfire"]}] " i found all the stacks, but not the reasons. Could it be that even pets and guardians standing in the wildfire patches when Feng draws them in can spread the wildfire and increase the number of stacks?

This is just a little part of the log and i deleted some lines but i hope you see what i mean, please tell me i am wrong.

[23:02:01.361] Wildfire Spark casts Wildfire Infusion

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Bloodworm 9750

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Risen Ally 9854

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Spirit Wolf 9255

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion from Wildfire Spark

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion (2) from Wildfire Spark

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion (3) from Wildfire Spark

That would be more than disturbing ;(

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

adding to Krynsa's post i have a question if anyone is sure what impacts the number of Wildfire Infusion stacks. When we did the Boss yesterday we usually ended up with around 10 stacks for the first draw flame, then used nullification barrier on second and forth, but on the thirs draw flame he suddenly jumps to 18-25 stacks and i have no idea (or at least im not sure) why.

When i tryd to analyse out logs with this query " [{"spellNames": ["Wildfire"]}, {"actorNames": ["Wildfire Spark"]}, {"spellNames": ["Wildfire Spark"]}, {"spellNames": ["Draw Flame"]}, {"spellIds": [116821]}, {"actorNames": ["Wildfire"]}] " i found all the stacks, but not the reasons. Could it be that even pets and guardians standing in the wildfire patches when Feng draws them in can spread the wildfire and increase the number of stacks?

This is just a little part of the log and i deleted some lines but i hope you see what i mean, please tell me i am wrong.

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Bloodworm 9750

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Risen Ally 9854

[23:02:01.365] Unknown Wildfire Spirit Wolf 9255

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion from Wildfire Spark

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion (2) from Wildfire Spark

[23:02:01.396] Feng the Accursed gains Wildfire Infusion (3) from Wildfire Spark

That would be more than disturbing ;(

Thanks in advance

It would look like it although we never encountered issues of that magnitude, and we run with several hunters and other minions.

Thanks, guys. I've made several updates to the guide.

Sneakyferret, 21 seems a bit much. Keep in mind that the fire still touches/damages players if it hits them on the way to the boss, when he's sucking it in. I'm not positive that those hits spawn new wildfire patches (which would then get subsequently absorbed right away, resulting in more stacks), but it's likely. The way I worded the Phase Three Strategy now should give you a better way to make sure no one gets hit by those fires.

Sorry for the late reply, kinda forgot about this.

We actually had it set just like how the guide is now, where we had everyone (minus the tanks) positioned on one side, and whoever got the debuff had to move to the designated area to so we can organize the wild fires, and as reported by others, its weird how his stacks would rise to such stacks from a single pull.

We found it easier for us to skip the first draw flame because our dps made it so if we did nullify the first draw flame, we ended up transitioning into phase 3 right after the 4th draw flame occurred, so we always ended up transitioning into phase 3 with stacks.. sadly we started doing that toward the end of our night attempt, and raid times are only set for two days of the week.

I been busy this week so I have not been able to run with my guild, but have they fixed any of the strange occurrences yet?

(lightning fist not stunning, Insane fire stacks even through no one got hit by one)

Edited by Sneakyferret

Guest Iofiel - Kazzak

Just wanted to add something that some people might find useful that we use in P2 for the wildfire, will be even more useful in Heroic if doing the flame as your final phase. If you position Feng against railings, close to where he picks up the spear, with the tanks on one side of him and the range, melee and healers to the other then when someone gets the wildfire they can go to the middle of the room to drop it, then return to the position. By dropping the flame in the middle of the room you stop the need to worry about when the Feng draws them back in as they will all miss the raid and the tanks – allows you to optimise your damage by minimising movement and also stops people taking damage if they struggle to avoid the draw flame. In normal mode the only thing you need to be aware of is when there will be a transition. If he transitions without drawing flame then it is important that players don’t go to the middle to drop the spark. They should just run to the railings so the middle of the room is left clear of wildfire.

It's already in the guide, just not as detailed mainly to shorten the description as much as possible, if its not clear enough though, they will probably fix it up a bit.

7.2.1. Wildfire Spark

Ideally, you should assign an area of the room (close to one of the edges) where everyone should aim to drop their wildfires. The reason for this will become evident to you when reading the next section.

http://www.icy-veins...ategy-wow#sec-7

edit: Thank you Vlad.

Edited by Sneakyferret

It's already in the guide, just not as detailed mainly to shorten the description as much as possible, if its not clear enough though, they will probably fix it up a bit.

7.2.1. Wildfire Spark

http://www.icy-veins...ed-strategy-wow

(Too bad there isn't a way to link directly to the subsections of the html.)

Just get the links from the table of contents, you can link to any sub section :)

• Like 1

Guest Red

I was running this fight last night and it appeared that the "randomness" of lightning fists is linked to tank movement. At first our other tank was moving him all around and spinning him in a circle (I still do not know what he was doing). During the attempts in which this happened the boss did not cast lightning fists except once or twice. Then we had the other tank stack on me, keeping the boss standing still, and he cast lightning fists fairly consistently. However, I could not confirm this was the mechanism in play, because there were still times when the boss did not cast lightning fists. Yet, the other tank was still having trouble standing still. So the reason why lightning fists seems so random could be that the tank is moving around too much causing him to not cast the spell. Has anyone else has noticed this?

To come back to the topic of mechanics, when we killed him yesterday on 10man we used one pull to experiment with some of them.

First of, regarding this "he sometimes doesnt cast lightning fists at all": It appears there is some sort of priority for Lightning Fists, Lightning Lash and Epicenter.

On one pull we moved around a bit and he didnt cast Lightning Fists even once till the third Epicenter. From our logs (sample size is far to small to be sure) it looks like he didnt start casting Lightning Fists if he was moving when the ability is off cooldown. The moment you tank him in place he starts to casts Fists, but only if Lash is still on cooldown. If not he uses Lash. It "seems" like he doenst wait to use Fists after the ability is ready but only uses it if he isnt casting something else the exact moment the ability is off cooldown.

So basically Epicenter > Lash > Fists if timers are synched for whatever reason. I might be totally wrong on that, just what it looked like for us. If anybody is able to clarify for sure i'd be happy to know ;)

About Draw Flame and Wildfire Infusion:

When i posted some days ago i provided a piece of a log that indicated that pets might stack the infusion buff. When we tryd to focus on getting as few stacks as possible yesterday we had the "usual" 10 stacks on the first draw flame, then nullified the second. For the third draw flame we had everybody in meleerange leave the boss alone without getting in the way of incoming flames. We put the fire to the spots where he goes to start P1 and P3 and tanked him at his starting point for P2. We also had no Warlocks in the raid and our Hunter dismissed pet. I checked the log and there were no damage taken by wildfire other than bloodworms und those shadow priest things, so im pretty sure nobody was hit by the flames. After this draw flames(3) we ended up with 10 stacks again.

Next pull we had our hunters pet and DK's risen Ally stay on the boss and we went up to 18 again without anyone else getting hit by flames.

Since the flames stay under the boss until his draw flames cast is done those pets/guardians took several ticks of damage, so distance between boss and flames might be an issue here as well.

Some ideas about that:

1) Pets do stack the buff

2) flames staying under the boss provide multiple stacks (short travel distance -> reaching boss before end of cast and staying there till the end)

3) flames getting drawn in but not reaching the boss seem to stay on the platform and getting drawn in the next cast resulting in more stacks

I know this is only an extremly small sample size, but maybe it helps figuring out this guy. Maybe all my "ideas" above are wrong, maybe not.

I am pretty sure this was the worst part of written english i have ever produced, sorry about that ... my Boss keeps disturbing me ;)

Guest Lighttouched

You can consistly negate every epicenter in phase 1.

Shroud Tank needs to use his ability on the Barrier Tank when the boss is casting Lightning Fists (wait until you see the cast bar, then hit it). This will get you Lightning Fists every time that you do it. Use Lightning Fists on the boss when he begins casting Epicenter and you will not take one pulse from it. Taught the boss after he finishes his fun stun animation.

The raid then stacks with the Barrier Tank, who uses Nullification Barrier on the next epicenter. No one in the barrier takes any damage. We choose to do this away from the boss in the center of the room, but it should work anywhere. After the barrier, Barrier Tank taunts the boss back and repeat.

- Lighttouched, Lightbringer

To come back to the topic of mechanics, when we killed him yesterday on 10man we used one pull to experiment with some of them.

First of, regarding this "he sometimes doesnt cast lightning fists at all": It appears there is some sort of priority for Lightning Fists, Lightning Lash and Epicenter.

On one pull we moved around a bit and he didnt cast Lightning Fists even once till the third Epicenter. From our logs (sample size is far to small to be sure) it looks like he didnt start casting Lightning Fists if he was moving when the ability is off cooldown. The moment you tank him in place he starts to casts Fists, but only if Lash is still on cooldown. If not he uses Lash. It "seems" like he doenst wait to use Fists after the ability is ready but only uses it if he isnt casting something else the exact moment the ability is off cooldown.

So basically Epicenter > Lash > Fists if timers are synched for whatever reason. I might be totally wrong on that, just what it looked like for us. If anybody is able to clarify for sure i'd be happy to know Posted Image

About Draw Flame and Wildfire Infusion:

When i posted some days ago i provided a piece of a log that indicated that pets might stack the infusion buff. When we tryd to focus on getting as few stacks as possible yesterday we had the "usual" 10 stacks on the first draw flame, then nullified the second. For the third draw flame we had everybody in meleerange leave the boss alone without getting in the way of incoming flames. We put the fire to the spots where he goes to start P1 and P3 and tanked him at his starting point for P2. We also had no Warlocks in the raid and our Hunter dismissed pet. I checked the log and there were no damage taken by wildfire other than bloodworms und those shadow priest things, so im pretty sure nobody was hit by the flames. After this draw flames(3) we ended up with 10 stacks again.

Next pull we had our hunters pet and DK's risen Ally stay on the boss and we went up to 18 again without anyone else getting hit by flames.

Since the flames stay under the boss until his draw flames cast is done those pets/guardians took several ticks of damage, so distance between boss and flames might be an issue here as well.

Some ideas about that:

1) Pets do stack the buff

2) flames staying under the boss provide multiple stacks (short travel distance -> reaching boss before end of cast and staying there till the end)

3) flames getting drawn in but not reaching the boss seem to stay on the platform and getting drawn in the next cast resulting in more stacks

I know this is only an extremly small sample size, but maybe it helps figuring out this guy. Maybe all my "ideas" above are wrong, maybe not.

I am pretty sure this was the worst part of written english i have ever produced, sorry about that ... my Boss keeps disturbing me Posted Image

It's perfectly understandable, and your posts are a delight. I don't know if you realize exactly how helpful posts like yours are for us.

In my 25-man, I've killed Feng several times with many Hunters, DKs and Warlocks (none of who were actively dismissing pets/minions), and we never got a strange number of stacks. I've got lots for it though, so I'll look in those and see what's going on.

Guest Iofiel - Kazzak

7.2.1. Wildfire Spark

http://www.icy-veins...ategy-wow#sec-7

edit: Thank you Vlad.

I don't think I explained our tactic properly, we do it the opposite way to this. We stack the boss, the raid group and the tanks on the side of the room (right against the barriers). Payers who get wildifre run to the middle of the room to drop it - Not the sides - by doing this all sparks have a clear path to the boss, therefore any player not afflicted with the sparks in this phase never has to move or even think about sparks. I have tried to do a diagram below using text

Wildifire - Middle of the room

Tank Boss Raid

_______________ - Room Edge

Don't know if this makes it more clear but we find it works very well for us and greatly simplifies avoiding sparks when the boss uses draw flame.

I don't think I explained our tactic properly, we do it the opposite way to this. We stack the boss, the raid group and the tanks on the side of the room (right against the barriers). Payers who get wildifre run to the middle of the room to drop it - Not the sides - by doing this all sparks have a clear path to the boss, therefore any player not afflicted with the sparks in this phase never has to move or even think about sparks. I have tried to do a diagram below using text

Tank Boss Raid

Don't know if this makes it more clear but we find it works very well for us and greatly simplifies avoiding sparks when the boss uses draw flame.

Posted Image

Maybe this will help show what you are saying. Because the website I was using does not have support for MSV as of yet, I used Ultraxion's platform as it was the most circular I could find. Ignore the actual part of the platform we fight Ultraxion on, and only the part with the pillars.

• Like 2

Tank Boss Raid

That sounds like an equally viable way of doing things. Thanks for sharing it :)

Not sure if any one else has problems timing shroud of reversal to get lightning fists. Our group can't seem to get that down. We have P2 down perfect and start P3 with no stacks and handle P3 correctly but our healers are burning their mana and CDs on the epicenters that aren't being interrupted. I am nullifying every other one but eat the others. I'm positive if we get the interupts down we have it. Seeing that we get sub 10% without them. Any tips for timing?

dont use the reversal thing because of timers, watch the animation. A few posts earlier the topic how the abilities are affected by movement and other stuff was discussed.

Best way for us was to just react on the animation which is pretty obvious and take about 2-3 seconds. Let your tank stay directly in front of feng, if he is too far away the effect sometimes runs straight through him and the stun isnt copied.

Guest Red

I'm the one taking the hit and have been stunned quiet often so that part is good. Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to read back through

I am pretty certain you need to cast the shroud on someone other than yourself. For my raid we have both tanks stack that way we dont move him much. When we both get hit I cast the shroud on the other tank. You can also cast it before you get hit but then you risk accidentally copying another spell if fickle feng decides to not cast lightning fists on cool down. Doing it this way we are able to interrupt most epicenters. I hope this helps.

Guest JC

One of the issues I was having was trying to be the OT, put out a decent amount of damage, and then getting shroud cast on the MT for the lightning fists. If you are having the same issue please use the following macro:

/tar MainTankName

/click ExtraActionButton1

Like everyone else was saying do not watch the timers for him to cast it. The timers are only for when the ability is off cooldown. When you see the animation start (or your boss mods telling you he's casting it) pop the macro.

Guest Kat

On heroic, if the adds reach the Siphoning Shield, they heal for 10%, not 5%, according to the in game Dungeon Journal.