FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Astynax

Help me Understand [Demo] Log analysis, kind of?

Sooo. Demo's hot shit. And it's really cool. Excited to see it with demonbolt in play, and at it's full glory, but I feel like I'm in a really solid place with it, and I honestly am starting to enjoy the spec, which I had my doubts about at first... But I'vve never played it until now... and even if I had, I feel like it might not be applicable. 

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/aFtC12q8wPG34vXf#boss=-2&source=8

Logs from raid tonight.

My problem? I cannot for the life of me see where my DPS is coming from/being hindered. Some fights, HoG is high, which makes sense on add fights, but it's occurring even on add-light encounters. Some fights doom is just wrecking everything, and other Soul fire makes everything else seem like a silly filler.... I don't see where my damage is coming from... or supposed to be. I don't really care so much if I'm missing a small mechanical niche somewhere, so much as I just want to be able to analyze my own logs, and ATM It looks like Cuneiform to me.

Thanks in advance,

Asty

Edited by Astynax

Demo logs will vary by user.  Me, Kaz, and Locky's logs all looked vastly different even when we were at like 20.5, 20.4, and 20.3k.  It's a VERY flexible spec.  Your DPS comes from damage done.  HoG should have around a 30-40% uptime.  Get used to high uptimes - when we get 2pc T17, shit is going to be real.  Metamorphosis uptime should be between 35-45%.  Doom and Corruption need 100% uptimes.  The rest is coming down to utilizing Metamorphosis with procs up and building fury when no procs are up. 

If you want a particular fight looked at, let me know.

Good to know that I'm not totally high or something. I'm not entirely concerned as far as my DPS goes, as I'm averaging towards the top of the meters, even at 580 ilvl. The logs just don't make sense to me, seeing as one of the malk pulls, I'm top of the charts, with my felguard doing 10% of my damage with just his basic attack, where on another I'm 4th and the chaos wave hits a cool 12%. 

I'll work on what you mentioned, and probably just come back in WoD. Stuff is sadly tuned this tier as it is, so I'm unconcerned with being exactly perfect, and demonbolt will change the spec anyway. Thanks Zag.

One thing to look at is your dot uptimes.  They need to be higher, especially corruption (Although on Sha of Pride, you got corruption up to almost 95%, but Doom was then down to about 85%).   That's big, dots up 100% of time.

It also looks like you were not lining up Dark Soul with procs, especially PBI.  They go *so* nicely together.

Hand of Gul'dan usage seems quite low, especially for the fight times.  Make sure to never sit at 2 stacks, and do HoG, 2 x shadowbolt, HoG for the double stack of shadowflame, but get them casted more.  That will bring up the HoG uptime a lot too.

Those things really should not vary by user. (Although there are some that use DS on cd and don't line up with procs)

As Zag mentioned, there is not a lot more to it.  When no procs build fury so when you get procs you can be in Meta the whole time during trinket procs/cds.

• Like 1

Good to know that I'm not totally high or something. I'm not entirely concerned as far as my DPS goes, as I'm averaging towards the top of the meters, even at 580 ilvl. The logs just don't make sense to me, seeing as one of the malk pulls, I'm top of the charts, with my felguard doing 10% of my damage with just his basic attack, where on another I'm 4th and the chaos wave hits a cool 12%. 

I'll work on what you mentioned, and probably just come back in WoD. Stuff is sadly tuned this tier as it is, so I'm unconcerned with being exactly perfect, and demonbolt will change the spec anyway. Thanks Zag.

The one where you were on top you had Doom and Corruption uptimes of > 95% on both, and decent HoG usage for the time of the fight.  The others, those were all low... Hmmm....  there might be a correlation there, which would help the logs make more sense. :D

Honestly zilth, I'm still learning the roation(I was strictly aff/destro until 6.0, having never touched demo seriously), as well as trying to adjust to the loss of Affdots, which is what I used to use to track secondary resources as well as dot timers. I know I'm doing a lot of little nooby mistakes, simply due to tunneling my decision making in rotation and/or mechanics on fights. I picked the malk wipe where I was top of the charts because wrathguard damage being top feels so batshit crazy to me. lol. (I got really good RNG on puddles/smashes as well.) I'm more concerned that I can look at a log, and know what I'm doing wrong, than that you actually analyze last night's attempts for me, because at this point, I'm prepping for what I'm most likely to be playing in WoD.

After playing with Demo and parsing quite well even with our long kill speeds, I agree with these guys. DoT uptimes are huge, doing almost 26k over 7 minutes all because I never let Doom or Corruption fall and abused HoG making sure it hit multiple targets.  The one thing these guys don't mention is Chaos Wave. I don't know what happened to it but it's a fucking monster. Throw it into any AoE and you are set for life.  Prime example is Immersius. My top damage even with MF Immolation Aura, Chaos Wave and it doubled Immolation Aura. with 47 hits to adds and a few multistrikes, it did 3 million damage.

I don't claim these logs are great, in fact I'd say I've never been weaker on a few of them due to fight time changes and new peeps but at least you can have them to compare against. 

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LTxvAhJFHq83ZPj6#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=14

My final thoughts, if the fight calls for it, abuse Chaos Wave.

Gotcha Astynax, makes perfect sense.

Part of the reason your Wrathguard was on top of that parse is because they do great damage, and will likely be one of your top damage sources quite often.   The other reason is that your other damage sources were more balanced on that pull, rather than having one or two being higher.

I agree Gnar, Chaos Wave is a monster right now, I honestly would not be surprised to see the nerf bat coming for that one (remember early MoP and Chaos Wave in PvP?)  :D

• Like 1

Lol Demo lock vs you meant 125k less effective health when you only had 300k to start.  I hope the nerf bat doesn't come, but I mean you see all these Demo parses and then you see Chaos Wave jumped up to top damage... Our only chance at a striking out the nerf bat is argueing that it's our 4pc helping us this tier. Only problem is that the tier 17 might be even stronger, but I really can't complain. I'm happy that my favorite spec is finally on top for reasons past a trinket.