FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nalar

New style AMR. (or the new Woodcutter class design thread)

haha. I still remember my first weeks of WoW back in vanilla I saved up enough money to buy inv_sword_40.jpgPhantom Blade just because it looked awesome and i figured i needed it. 

There i was...looking awesome...launching shadowbolts between Phantom Blade flurries. I remember getting Nighfall procs (Corruption ticks caused Nightfall which made your next SB instant back then) and saying to myself "fuck yea! Shadow Poisoning!".

Then someone pst'ed me "...wtf are you doing?!" 

ahh...the day i began to learn how to play my class haha.

Edited by vaeevictiss

haha. I still remember my first weeks of WoW back in vanilla I saved up enough money to buy inv_sword_40.jpgPhantom Blade just because it looked awesome and i figured i needed it. 

There i was...looking awesome...launching shadowbolts between Phantom Blade flurries. I remember getting Nighfall procs (Corruption ticks caused Nightfall which made your next SB instant back then) and saying to myself "fuck yea! Shadow Poisoning!".

Then someone pst'ed me "...wtf are you doing?!" 

ahh...the day i began to learn how to play my class haha.

Wow.

I also bought a phantom blade on my lvl 40ish paladin (first ever toon) and had someone in my guild stick fiery enchant on it. He was like "are you SURE you want this?". Fuck yes I was sure.

I went off to Loch Modan afterwards and spent 2 hours grinding Kobalds to get my weapon proficiency up to max.

Ah the days of leveling up weapon skill. Find an elemental, banish it, and go afk.

Edited by Vipples

So to conclude this thread, the trick to max DPS is 10% gemming, 10% play style and 80% wood chopping.

Good thing I spent all that time in Runescape maxing out my Woodcutting skill.

• Like 2

Hey guys, Sorry for the noob questions but I need a bit of help.

A buddy of mine told me that with WooD so close to release I should not really worry much since everything is changing, but I want to make sure I am ready!  

What are the breakpoints I need for my woodcutter?  I have tried 3.131459 CPS (Chops Per Second) however I still seem to be getting lots of splinters and I am sure I could improve.  

What are the differences between 1H and 2H woodcutters?  I have always assumed 2H was best, but I've seen some impressive results from dual wielding.

Finally, what are your thoughts on the new lvl 100 talent?  IMO 'Hydraulic Chop' is a terribly designed talent that really dumbs down the spec.  A trap talent that completely nullifies our 'Axe to the Grindstone' passive.

Thanks guys, and as always really appreciate all you do for the community!

• Like 3

A buddy of mine told me that with WooD so close

It happened.  Talking about woodcutting enough made this happen.  Nice job, team.

Damn it, then I read the rest of your post and realized you did it intentionally.  SON OF A BITCH.  Well played.  I'm going to go ahead and bite.

Calling you out for trying to use a value near PI for your CPS calculation, but it's not exactly PI.  I would go for 3.141593 CPS for a less splintery experience. 

1H cutters require equal strength in both arms and hands.  You can also swing both of them, use one as a wedge and the other as a hammer, or just look badass when you get pictures taken, because of course you have to document this manly achievement.  2H cutters require more initial strength to lift but delivers higher critical hits.  As long as you have high accuracy, you can usually handle 2H easier.  I would say 2H > 1H. 

I'm not fond of the level 100 talent, Hydraulic Chop.  It feels a little too passive for me and I'm afraid it'll make us soft.  If you sit in a chair and 'chop wood' this way, you'll lose the ability to go back to 1H or 2H with the same competency.  Best to stay sharp in both specializations.

• Like 3

Damn you guys are beasts. My CPS is only somewhere around 0.15-0.2. But I think you have to remember that splinters aren't always that bad, e.g. they can be really useful in the quest [start a Fire] so I don't worry too much about them. I'm usually running 2h for trash and dualwielding for bosses using the hammer&wedge strat.

I've been testing the Hydraulic Chop for a year now and I have mixed feelings about it. Sure, it gets the job done nice and swift, but it's really boring at the same time. Also, recent patch broke it and I returned to the old rotation and it felt quite good for a change. Made me feel like a real warlock again.

• Like 1

Don't sleep on Hydraulic Chop guys. I understand that for single target, its extremely boring. However,when you have two targets that need to be burned down, its extremely effective to do your normal DW or 2H rotation on one of them, while setting Hydraulic on the other. Like most talents, it has its uses on certain fights.

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Don't sleep on Hydraulic Chop guys. I understand that it for single target, its extremely boring. However,when you have two targets that need to be burned down, its extremely effective to do your normal DW or 2H rotation on one of them, while setting Hydraulic on the other. Like most talents, it has its uses on certain fights.

GET YOUR LOGIC OUT OF HERE!

Also, Brew, sorry for the side-step in discussion topic.  WoD - WooD - so close!  I think there is actual AMR discussion a page or two back!

• Like 1

It happened.  Talking about woodcutting enough made this happen.  Nice job, team.

Damn it, then I read the rest of your post and realized you did it intentionally.  SON OF A BITCH.  Well played. 

Ahhhh, and the follow ups did not disappoint! biggrin.png

Calling you out for trying to use a value near PI for your CPS calculation, but it's not exactly PI.  I would go for 3.141593 CPS for a less splintery experience. 

Nice catch!  I thought I had it right but your are correct, i was a bit short on my CPS.  I had to drop a bit of Accuracy to make the breakpoint, but overall CPS felt much better last night with minimal splintering!  Hopefully I don't miss too much with the lost Accuracy.

1H cutters require equal strength in both arms and hands.  You can also swing both of them, use one as a wedge and the other as a hammer, or just look badass when you get pictures taken, because of course you have to document this manly achievement.  2H cutters require more initial strength to lift but delivers higher critical hits.  As long as you have high accuracy, you can usually handle 2H easier.  I would say 2H > 1H. 

See, and this is where there is so much value in the community.  I thought i knew everything there was to know about wood cutting and then I go and read about this crazy Wedge and Hammer strat.... mind blown!

What is the optimal opener for this build?  Should I be using Rapid Chop before or after my Invisible Bark procs?  Also, is it standard to hold on to Diamond Blade for Wood Knot phases.. or do you use on cooldown?

I'm not fond of the level 100 talent, Hydraulic Chop.  It feels a little too passive for me and I'm afraid it'll make us soft.  If you sit in a chair and 'chop wood' this way, you'll lose the ability to go back to 1H or 2H with the same competency.  Best to stay sharp in both specializations.

I've been testing the Hydraulic Chop for a year now and I have mixed feelings about it. Sure, it gets the job done nice and swift, but it's really boring at the same time. Also, recent patch broke it and I returned to the old rotation and it felt quite good for a change. Made me feel like a real warlock again.

Don't sleep on Hydraulic Chop guys. I understand that it for single target, its extremely boring. However,when you have two targets that need to be burned down, its extremely effective to do your normal DW or 2H rotation on one of them, while setting Hydraulic on the other. Like most talents, it has its uses on certain fights.

Seems we all agree the talent really dumbs things down.  Probably a good talent to pick for farm clears which are a bit of a snooze fest anyways.  I had never thought of trying Hydraulic Chop for cleave, I had always assumed it was single target only.

I have been scared to try out the new AoE talent Flying Sawblades.  Still think they should redesign it to Chainsaws and boost the dmg..  just seems under powered in its current state.

Oh... also.. I think we should start to petition for Green Axe Blades.  I mean come on, how cool would Green Axe Blades look?

GET YOUR LOGIC OUT OF HERE!

Also, Brew, sorry for the side-step in discussion topic.  WoD - WooD - so close!  I think there is actual AMR discussion a page or two back!

Abnormally Massive Root has been one of my Fav fights this tier!  I think its a really unique idea for them to use the seasons for phases.  Fall is the worst with dodging all the falling Leaves.  Just when you think your in a safe spot he uses Wind and fucks it all up.  If anybody has tips for this?

Sorry, Nov 13th needs to come already... lol 

• Like 1

Abnormally Massive Root has been one of my Fav fights this tier!  I think its a really unique idea for them to use the seasons for phases.  Fall is the worst with dodging all the falling Leaves.  Just when you think your in a safe spot he uses Wind and fucks it all up.  If anybody has tips for this?

Sorry, Nov 13th needs to come already... lol 

I've found that equipping the "Thrift Store Pea-coat" nullifies most of the wind damage, so you can take the hit full to the face. The downside to this is you end up having to give up your "Manly Flannel" chest equip bonus, unless you have the "Scottish Tartan" for your legs.

Wedge and Hammer is where it's at.  Ever go to split a tree and your axe gets stuck cuz the core of the tree still has some life left in it?  Instead of looking half-retarded and wiggling the axe back and forth to remove it, grab the other axe, flip it over, and start using it as a hammer and wedge.  Saves your back, saves frustration, and actually is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Wedge and Hammer is where it's at.  Ever go to split a tree and your axe gets stuck cuz the core of the tree still has some life left in it?

Only worse then this is this but with the Frozen to the Core buff. 

Only worse then this is this but with the Frozen to the Core buff. 

Best to just pop Hibernation, maybe together with Feast, and wait for the next Sun phase.

You need to wait for Feast to drop off before you use Hibernation.

If you clip it too early or macro them you run the risk of not having enough energy to even make it to Sun phase.

• Like 1

Good thing I spent all that time in Runescape maxing out my Woodcutting skill.

Had to go look up my old runescape character Storm301. 87 Woodcutting, 99 fletching, 72 fire making

Back on topic, before I discovered this site, I used AMR for all my toons. For the casual player, just doing norm SoO, the quick and dirty AMR suggestions were perfectly fine. Load in your toon, and bam - gems, reforges and chants in a easy to understand layout.

Obviously for the more experienced players these sugeestions were probably off, and thats where the custom weights feature stepped in.

As has been mentioned before, the biggest problem is, in my opinion, and experience, PABCAK.

I.e. Give an inexperienced player a toon in full MWF/M-tier perfectly balanced etc, and they would quite easily be out-dps'd by an experienced player in HWF/H-tier.

Edit: Don't look at my gems, I haven't checked then since before the patch. Hypocrisy at its finest! tongue.png

Edited by Ryoishi

I heard Honey Boo Boo was getting cancelled?

Concerning the Woodcutter class, you have to always have you Hydratation uptime at 100%. Otherwise your CPS goes down, and you really lose a lot of Splinter Blast procs. 

Also don't forget our Woodcutting Skillcape, which greatly boosts output.

When I got my lumber mill to lvl 2 and saw for the first time the timber lord descending and dual-wielding sawblades, my first thought was AMR.

Something's wrong with this community.