FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Delaila

balance dps

Just dpesed my first fight sence the patch and im just wondering if im doing ok and if it is anything i shuld change, wich there probebly are sence im still geting used to how the new eclipse bar works and such tongue.png and yeah i know i died from stupid shit, got to focused on geting back to the boss.

log: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vbGtT7k2DnCaNJQZ#type=summary&fight=34

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/veknilash/Delaila/simple might still be in my healing gear+ spec even thu i log in again and changed it and loged back out, seems to be a bit slow on updating atm.

Edited by Delaila

Let's start by just chopping out everything after you died, so everything from pull to 1:35 in the fight.

You have a gigantic, 20-second period where you didn't cast anything. Anything. Not sure what that's about, because you weren't dead. You cast a Moonfire at 1:05.266, and then the only things you had before you resumed DPS with Starfall at 1:25.821 were Barskin, Displacer Beast, Track Humanoids (why is this on any of your bars?) and then going back into Moonkin form, right before your Starfall.

Your Sunfire uptime is 64%. That's pretty not good. You need to refresh Sunfire immediately when you get into the solar half of the cycle, and then again once you have Lunar Peak to maintain 100% uptime.

You cast Starsurge 7 times, and Starfall 3 times, for a total of 10 charges used.  You had 3 charges to begin with, and you got 7 Shooting Stars procs. But, in a 1:35 segment of the fight, you had enough time to also recharge 3, meaning you used 10 out of a possible 13. Even assuming you're not planning on dying, you should have at least 12 of 13 spent. This means you're letting yourself cap on charges.

You need to be using Starsurge often enough to try to keep yourself at one charge. If Celestial Alignment is about to come off cooldown, save up and have two when you activate it. If you get a trinket proc, spend down to 0. Otherwise, keep yourself to just a single charge. Sitting at two charges means any Shooting Stars proc will reset your 30-second recharge and will cost you SS charges throughout the fight (likely what's happening to you).

You're casting Starfall on a single target. Stop it.

Of the Starsurge casts you have, you used three back-to-back from 0:19 to 0:22 in the fight. You should NEVER do this.

Your opener:

Moonfire > NV > Incarnation > Celestial Alignment > Starfall (all one second apart when they don't need to be) > Starfire > Starfire > Starfire > Starfire > Moonfire > Starsurge.

No.  Do this:

Pre-cast Incarnation > Pre-pot > Pre-cast Starfire > Celestial Alignment > Moonfire > Spam (Starsurge > 2x Starfire) for duration of CA > Moonfire with last GCD of CA to refresh both DoTs > Spam (Starsurge > 2x Starfire) for duration of Inc.

Thx for the reply. When i wasent casting anything for a long time i was runing with fire. I noticed after i had uploaded the log that the advanced loging was turned off so you couldent have seen that.

This is just from a dummie so the dmg output will probebly be incorrect but i hope i got the rotation down alitte bit better..still need to work on the uptime on sunfire, need to track the bar better. And that starfall was just a missklick..are using the guided star glyph so hopefully it wont pull stuff if that happens during a raid/dungeon.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/BzFJHLKAprckC12Q#type=summary&source=23

Even if you're running from the laser, you should try your hardest to still be contributing to the fight in some way, even if it's just barely keeping in range while Starfall runs and you continuously spam Moonfire/Sunfire.  Forty yards is a big distance. Even if you're running in the center of the platform with the boss tanked by the edge you still have range.

Things get inflated on target dummies with pointless cleaving, etc. Lack of buffs also changes the way the spec plays out. Need to get logs in an actual raid setting, even if it's just going in and doing Heroic Malk.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend on gear, but you should gem Haste + Mastery on red, pure mastery on yellow and crit + mastery on blues. Also if you have a higher ilvl gear, 2set is all you need, so you can get rid of lower ilvl tier pieces.

Switching stats up isn't going to make a HUGE difference. Especially with crit and mastery being close. Also, the 4p is worth it within reason. I can't check armory on my phone, but I'd definitely say it's worth dropping two pieces down a tier (13 ilvls, mythic to heroic, heroic to normal) to make.

It's not a big difference, but it's the easiest thing to change. Also I wouldn't give 4set that much value. I'd say 4set matters very little in short fights like the ones we have now. Maybe it's good on protectors or klaxxi, but most fights that don't have a lot of dot uptime on more than 1 target are meh.

I also feel crit's kinda shit atm, probably worst stat for me.

DoTs on more than one target don't matter - only your last DoT applied can proc Shooting Stars.

Mastery is better, but crit is FAR from being shit right now; it's our #2.

The 4p is good even on short fights. Having lower base chance to get SS makes the increase that much more impactful compared to 5.4.  Being able to more reliably get that fourth SS off during CA or a 5th or 6th during Inc is so good. For a short fight, burst is important. Getting SS procs increases our burst, period. Also, on multi-target fights, it's even more important as it lets us see higher uptime on Starfall, which is a significant DPS gain.

I have a question about the opener. I have done as the guide told us to do here. But then I see Quyncyhttp://youtu.be/zJ0hUOiDdDs?list=UUj7sDOHouQPNQzjEkmFccUg ) Start of with a prepot > Starsurge. So whats the deal? Or is starsurge just a lazy way to start off? and offtopic, do u huys think boomkin will be a solid dps in WoD. Dont care about top the meters, but I want to know if its gonna be solid. Can the beta tell us something about that yet? Cheers

Ooh, I actually hadn't seen the change to shooting stars. Makes sense now. Still, has anybody done the testing to see if the increase is from 10% to 18% or from 10% to 10.8%?

Also haste > crit for my current gear. I guess it changes based on gear, but I personally don't like to rely on crit too much.

The prepot > starsurge is better than prepot > starfire if you proc SS really fast, so I guess it's the safer opener.

The difference between Starsurge vs. Starfire is going to be almost none, if there really is one. I do Starfire, because the pre-cast is just a little bit of extra damage, and not having CA active and trinkets active on Starsurge is, to me, leaving a hefty amount of damage on the table. I suppose I could really hammer out this very minor difference later tonight. If I had to guess, it really is just a gambit on whether or not you're going to get a SS proc on the very first tick of your DoTs.

What do you mean by "haste > crit for my current gear."? If you mean your haste scale factor is bigger than your crit scale factor, that's not how you determine stat priority. Gahhda has a great post over in the warlock section about SimC, scale factors, and stat weights.

After a bit of testing, it looks like its 5.4%/10.8% with the 4pc, which is less significant than having a flat 8% added. However, just doing some Law of Large Numbers/theoretical probability calculations and on average it'll get you maybe one SS proc in a fight this way. So, yes, by all means drop it like it's hot.

My ms thru all of mist have been resto so i mainly just wanted to know if i did something wrong so i can pratctise and gett better for wod sence i dont know what my ms will be then. Am also gona just leave the gems as it is sence i dont really see the point in swaping around all my gems when wod hits pretty soon and i dont know how fast i will be swaping out gear, i rather try and save the little gold i have :P 

Dident really understand this part Kazitrasz "After a bit of testing, it looks like its 5.4%/10.8% with the 4pc, which is less significant than having a flat 8% added. However, just doing some Law of Large Numbers/theoretical probability calculations and on average it'll get you maybe one SS proc in a fight this way. So, yes, by all means drop it like it's hot."  :/

Btw just out of curiusity is sotf or inc the better choise now or is it not much difference? 

The tooltip only states you gain 8% on crits tho, so the realistic gain is 0.8% of your current crit (32% in my case) which is 0.256% increase. Within a 3min fight u'd get 100~ ticks, so realistically you need to be lucky to get a proc.

Anywho, sorry I ninjad your topic to have a different discussion with Kazistrasz. 

If you don't have the gold, you shouldn't bother regemming.

On the SotF vs Incarnation, it's relatively close and based on fight length, but if you have problem keeping track of it or doing good openers because of Incarnation's gcd, just use SotF. It's not that big of a loss. A more in depth explanation would be if you keep track of your trinkets and the fight lasts enough to just use it second time with trinket procs, then inc > sotf. If the fight lasts somewhere between 2 and 3 mins, then SotF is probably the better choice. 

A big thing is, if you don't have a pull timers in your guild, you shouldn't run Inc, as it's a really big opener loss to use it after the pull. Also Nature's Vigil is not on the GCD, but I see you didn't use an ability with it. I'd suggest you macro it in your starfire.

#showtooltip Starfire
/cast Nature's Vigil

/cast Starfire 

You also want to cast Sunfire as soon as you enter solar and right before you leave it. If you don't have an external way of tracking your eclipse, there's a good post with weak auras here.

On the gear:

Quest rewards: 
Frostfire Ridge and Shadowmoon Valley (90-92) 51x-52x
Gorgrond (92-94) 52x-54x
Talador (94-96) 54x-55x
Spires of Arak (96-98) 55x-57x
Nagrand (98-100) 580
Elite/rare drops:
Frostfire Ridge and Shadowmoon Valley (90-92) 51x-52x
Gorgrond (92-94) 53x-54x
Talador (94-96) 54x-55x
Spires of Arak (96-98) 56x-57x
Nagrand (98-100) 58x-599

Dungeon rewards:
Bloodmaul Slag Mines (90-92) 530
Auchindoun (93-95) 570
Arakkoa Spires (96-98) 600
Others (98-100) 615

Heroic Dugeons 630
LFR : 640
World Bosses: 655
Highmaul: Normal - 645; Heroic - 655; Mythic - 670.
Edited by Archieie

Anywho, sorry I ninjad your topic to have a different discussion with Kazistrasz. 

Dont worry, its related so its ok :) If I understand your discussion with Kazistrasz correct, the 4th piece isent that good any more. I have Robes of the Warrior's Fall mythic warforged, is it worth droping the set chest for it or shall I not bother now?

Arch, you're better off recasting sun fire at the end of the solar peak buff than at the end of the solar eclipse.

Solar Peak, which doubles the initial damage of Sunfire, lasts 5 seconds, starting 8 seconds in. When you refresh Sunfire to max duration, you have 31 seconds duration with the new pandemic. As long as you don't refresh Sunfire during the first second of Solar Peak, it will last the whole way until your next solar phase. If you refresh it near the end of the buff, you even get a couple seconds of breathing room.

I see. Makes sense. Is it better dps than the loss you get from using 1 wrath at close to 0 solar energy instead of at peak tho?

Maths must be done :o

It's all been done and simmer already. It's a DPS loss to try to not use the Solar Peak buff.

The opener's way off again. You pot, then moonfire, then Incarnation. The proper opener's in the second post of this thread (I think).

Also you've done the starsurge spam again. Go to a dummy and practice the starsurge > starfire > starfire for a while so it gets automated.

Read my guide's section on the opener. It's a guide for WoD, yes, but everything works the same rotationally for single target opener.