FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Elegon

Hello Icy-Veins,

Let me start by saying I love all your guides, and they have helped me achieve so many boss kills.

I would just like to point out a mechanic that you may have missed out on in your Elegon guide.

After the 2nd cycle of phase 1, 2 and 3, where the boss pulses AoE, any attempt to leave the inner circle will result in much higher damage to that person, so they must leave the circle at earlier stacks.

Thank you!

-Azminas

not entirely, hunters can deterrence the damage and successfully reset their stacks.

Guest Rm.

"ensuring that everyone leaves the Inner Ring at the end of Stage One before the floor disappears." - shouldn't there be "end of Stage Two" instead?

"ensuring that everyone leaves the Inner Ring at the end of Stage One before the floor disappears." - shouldn't there be "end of Stage Two" instead?

Good catch. Thanks!

Guest Grimtar

Comments on 25-man normal -

Your article suggests that everyone can stack up during Stage 2. However, since the Energy Charges explode when they die, this is impractical. The increasing damage debuff is going to really start to hurt with more than 10 stacks of Overcharge. Raid healing actually gets quite intense as it is after the fourth wave starts.

A note for the debuff stacks on the boss: they are related to the number of Energy Charge waves that spawn, not that you kill. So if you kill five waves, you get six stacks. We found that we needed six stacks in order to have any chance of beating the enrage, but YMMV. Set a goal (for example, we want six stacks, which means killing five waves). Once you have killed your target number of waves, burn the boss hard until the Pylons start to spawn. Every point of damage you do here is one less point you will have to do in the next Stage 1.

During the second Stage 2 (Stage 2B, we call it), watch the boss's enrage timer. If you have not reached your target number of waves when you have about 90 seconds left, end the phase anyway. At that point, more waves are not going to help you; the boss can have 20 stacks on him, but you still won't kill him unless you leave enough time for the burn phase. Since an Energy Charge wave takes about 10 seconds, Stage 3 will take about 30 seconds, and transition takes about 10 seconds, ending Stage 2 with 90 seconds to go should leave you with around 40 seconds to Bloodlust through Stage 1C.

Fun fact: if folks blow immunity cooldowns to survive Elegon's version of Big Bang, he will go into a Phase 2C! This can actually give you enough time for DoTs to tick and kill him.

Also, a tip: DPS the pylons from the energy floor as much as you can before it disappears. The Celestials buff applies, so you will be doing a lot more damage to the pylons. If you reset Overcharge and stand in the "jump spot" noted above, you can actually stand on the energy floor and have it despawn underneath you, leaving you standing on the edge of the floor. This is risky (we've had several people either screw it up and die, or fat finger strafe and die), but a very good DPS increase for people that aren't stupid.

Comments on 25-man normal -

Your article suggests that everyone can stack up during Stage 2. However, since the Energy Charges explode when they die, this is impractical. The increasing damage debuff is going to really start to hurt with more than 10 stacks of Overcharge. Raid healing actually gets quite intense as it is after the fourth wave starts.

A note for the debuff stacks on the boss: they are related to the number of Energy Charge waves that spawn, not that you kill. So if you kill five waves, you get six stacks. We found that we needed six stacks in order to have any chance of beating the enrage, but YMMV. Set a goal (for example, we want six stacks, which means killing five waves). Once you have killed your target number of waves, burn the boss hard until the Pylons start to spawn. Every point of damage you do here is one less point you will have to do in the next Stage 1.

During the second Stage 2 (Stage 2B, we call it), watch the boss's enrage timer. If you have not reached your target number of waves when you have about 90 seconds left, end the phase anyway. At that point, more waves are not going to help you; the boss can have 20 stacks on him, but you still won't kill him unless you leave enough time for the burn phase. Since an Energy Charge wave takes about 10 seconds, Stage 3 will take about 30 seconds, and transition takes about 10 seconds, ending Stage 2 with 90 seconds to go should leave you with around 40 seconds to Bloodlust through Stage 1C.

Fun fact: if folks blow immunity cooldowns to survive Elegon's version of Big Bang, he will go into a Phase 2C! This can actually give you enough time for DoTs to tick and kill him.

Also, a tip: DPS the pylons from the energy floor as much as you can before it disappears. The Celestials buff applies, so you will be doing a lot more damage to the pylons. If you reset Overcharge and stand in the "jump spot" noted above, you can actually stand on the energy floor and have it despawn underneath you, leaving you standing on the edge of the floor. This is risky (we've had several people either screw it up and die, or fat finger strafe and die), but a very good DPS increase for people that aren't stupid.

Thank you for this wonderful post. I'm going to make several updates to the guide based on this, today. Much appreciated!

Guest Miers

I know that once we've gotten through the second cycle and are on the burn phase, it should get considerably easier (on the DPS anyway), but we hit the enrage timer at around 40-50% (the second phase 3 was ending and we were grouping up to kill the sparks). The meters showed all our DPS around 65k and tanks at around 40k.

Any tips for getting through the first half of the fight any quicker? We've been killing 3-4 waves of balls in P2 (so a total of 8-9 stacks of the debuff on boss)

You gotta do more DPS, you're really low. Aim for 2 Protectors in the 1st phase (the initial P1), if you can't push him to P2 before the 3rd Protector spawns then you're not likely to have the DPS to finish the fight.

Gives a nice target for the DPS to aim for if they need more motivation.

Guest Throe

Just wanted to note that Druids have access to Wild Charge in caster form(if they took that talent), and may be able to use it to cross Energy Conduits. This assumes there is a PC target to leap to already on the other side of the Energy Conduit.

Also, It's entirely possible that Cat Form Wild Charge may allow Druids to cross the Energy Conduits as well by targeting a pylon, but it would take someone testing it, risking falling into the pit to find out(in case "behind" the pylon happens to be in the pit).

Taking Wild Charge grants all four versions of it(Bear, Cat, Caster, and Travel), so any specialization of Druid could have access to the skills above.

Priests can probably use Leap of Faith to bring other players past Energy Conduits.

I haven't tested any of this with Elegon.

I've made a few updates to account for more specific DPS optimisation in Stage One (getting 2 Protectors before transition, as well). Also, added more accurate information regarding the damage and stack resetting in Stage Two :)

Just wanted to note that Druids have access to Wild Charge in caster form(if they took that talent), and may be able to use it to cross Energy Conduits. This assumes there is a PC target to leap to already on the other side of the Energy Conduit.

Also, It's entirely possible that Cat Form Wild Charge may allow Druids to cross the Energy Conduits as well by targeting a pylon, but it would take someone testing it, risking falling into the pit to find out(in case "behind" the pylon happens to be in the pit).

Taking Wild Charge grants all four versions of it(Bear, Cat, Caster, and Travel), so any specialization of Druid could have access to the skills above.

Priests can probably use Leap of Faith to bring other players past Energy Conduits.

I haven't tested any of this with Elegon.

Using Demonic portals acorss the conduit still makes you take damage. I'm sure Wild Charge and Leap of Faith would do the same thing.

Guest Mtndewman

Using Demonic portals acorss the conduit still makes you take damage. I'm sure Wild Charge and Leap of Faith would do the same thing.

Having the Demonic portals down will let you DPS/Healers drop aggro when the adds come out after P2.

Having the Demonic portals down will let you DPS/Healers drop aggro when the adds come out after P2.

While I suppose that's helpful for 10 man, its not as viable for 25. You still don't want to go through the gates while they are still up because you will probably take unneeded damage. We just stack at the front waiting for the platform while our tanks AoE all the adds.

You should probably add the "And ... It's Good" achievement to this guide. The achievement is completed with Elegon's trash.

Thanks for this post. I had no idea what this was until I looked it up. All I have to say is "haha" and "adding it to the guide". So, haha... adding it to the guide.

You should probably add the "And ... It's Good" achievement to this guide. The achievement is completed with Elegon's trash.

We did this achievement tonight. It is an individual achievement, but getting the full raid group at once is trivial. Kill all the adds except one of the two monsters that kicks you across the room. Have everyone stand on the control console, then position the add in front of the console facing the group. We had everyone jumping when he tossed us; I don't know if that is necessary or not.

Guest Wippie

Just thought I'd give a little input on this fight, this fight.. like any other fights requires a DPS check, with the increased damage you do, each dps needs to pull at least 90k+ to push elegon to his last phase so your healers won't go oom, this is a 2 heal fight, definitely have to split into 2 groups to take the pillars down. Pull the protector out of the platform at around 20% then kill him outside, reset your stacks before he dies. For the adds, they hit pretty damn hard, I would say 60k each hit, cc them as much as you can. After having killed him once after countless wipes, I managed to 1 shot him today. After you kill him once, you'd think it's easy mode.

Providing some feedback from our heroic kill experience:

2 tanks, 2 heals, 6 dps, no particular composition bias.

Based on my experience, the heroic version of the encounter is based around handling phase 1 correctly. If you can do that, you have it.

Phase 1

Adds now spawn faster (25 secs down from 34), so you need to adjust/prepare your strat accordingly.

Select players with strong damage reduction CDs to soak the annihilations, we used: Spriest Dispersion, Warlock Dark Bargain, Mage Greater Invis. You want to bias in favor of CDs that will almost totally prevent the damage, so that if that player is topped off when they are hit by annihilation, they will not suffer from the <80%-life stun.

Immunities do not work on annihilation (Iceblock, Divine shield, etc) so be careful.

Assign 1 healer to follow the annihilation soaker out during the Celestial protector's transition from inside to outside. If you top the soaker off before the explosion, your life will be heaps easier in the long run.

Tanks need to be perfect about dragging adds outside, likewise DPS need to be on the ball about blowing the add up. Some mild practice here should make this pretty easy for most groups but it is a point of high sensitivity, so dont be surprised if you screw it up a bit.

With our DPS and a few tries, we quickly determined that we could get 2 adds down and finish the phase. Find out what your DPS lets you do (1 add, 2, 3, whatever) and ensure that you push elegon near to or as the final annihilation is going off. This is key if you hope to progress correctly through phase 2.

Phase 2

Identical to normal aside from very minor health value changes. Try to get down 5 waves as this will make your life easier.

Take a breather basically, if you had no issues on normal here, you wont on heroic either.

Phase 3

See phase 2.

Phase 1 Redux

Nothing changes from the first phase 1. We found with 5 waves of orbs down that we were able to push into the next phase 2 killing just 4 adds.

There is absolutely no added challenge to this phase compared to the first phase 1, just make sure you plan soakers and you're good to go.

Phase 4

We stacked behind the boss just like we do on normal, popped hero and obliterated him. Chain raid CDs, have folks that get low use personals/lock cookies, we handled this just like we do on normal.

Based on our experience I'd say this is one of the easier heroics of the tier, possibly because it's quite subject to being strongarmed via gear.

Have fun!

Guest Celestris

Very nice guide, i'm attempting it this week. Just a thing: Cloak of Shadow does not work in heroic mode, same as Divine Shield and Ice block as suggested above.