FORUMS
Niix

Azortharion's 6.2.2 MM Hunter Guide

Hello guys, thanks for all the info u gave me so far, its really helping me improving my gameplay. I have one question, if I may.

Im currently an alchemist and engineer, but seeing ur guides I saw that leather working is really making a difference now(with crafted gear). Do you think it`s worth for me to erase my Alchemy and start leatherworking? 

And since kill command was buffed, wouldn't i make more dps as bm other than mm?

Edited by Casablancas

Hello guys, thanks for all the info u gave me so far, its really helping me improving my gameplay. I have one question, if I may.

Im currently an alchemist and engineer, but seeing ur guides I saw that leather working is really making a difference now(with crafted gear). Do you think it`s worth for me to erase my Alchemy and start leatherworking? 

And since kill command was buffed, wouldn't i make more dps as bm other than mm?

Both Alchemy and Leatherworking are pretty nice. With Alchemy you can't create the greater flasks (+250 to main stat) with a follower working at the alchemy building at your garrison. HOWEVER you can craft gear with leatherworking, just get the tannery building and stock up on raw beast hides and keep your work orders going and you'll get your crafted 640 gear. 

I don't know about the upgrades for the gear with only the building and not the profession, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them on the AH or bug a friend with leatherworking.

But, it's up to you on what you want to do, but I don't personally think it's worth it to get rid of alchemy.

As for the kill command thing, I'm not big into the maths and simcraft side of things, but I assume MM will still pull ahead in anything but sustained AOE. But I wouldn't take my word on that, wait for someone who's done the maths on it to answer ^^'

(edited to fix wording because I never proof-read)

Edited by Kulia
  • Like 1

Not sure what Kill Command buff you're referencing, if it was the one with 6.0 all of my information is up to date based on that.

For professions, I would do whatever you want really. The crafted gear isn't really meant to be for gearing day one raiding, it's a supplement for alts more than anything. I will likely be dropping LW for Alchemy in the next few days because I am not even making any LW pieces at the moment and other than those crafted pieces LW is useless for me.

Not sure what Kill Command buff you're referencing, if it was the one with 6.0 all of my information is up to date based on that.

For professions, I would do whatever you want really. The crafted gear isn't really meant to be for gearing day one raiding, it's a supplement for alts more than anything. I will likely be dropping LW for Alchemy in the next few days because I am not even making any LW pieces at the moment and other than those crafted pieces LW is useless for me.

I do think LW has some value in what I call "shitty luck prevention".  You could go weeks without a decent Heroic/Mythic drop for any slot, but in that same time you could craft Tier-3 gear (30 primal bloods, 450 daily CDs, a handful of sorc mats) and get gear that it the exact same ilvl (latest hotfix made all tier-3 crafted gear 670).  Also, you can re-roll the stats on crafted gear, which you can't do, to my knowledge, on regular raid drops (could be totally wrong there, but I havent seen a way to yet).  My plan is to horde Burnished Leather and Primal Bloods (3 toons currently farming it for me) until week 3-4 and then use LW to supplemnent whatever gear slots I havent gotten drops for yet.

I do think LW has some value in what I call "shitty luck prevention".  You could go weeks without a decent Heroic/Mythic drop for any slot, but in that same time you could craft Tier-3 gear (30 primal bloods, 450 daily CDs, a handful of sorc mats) and get gear that it the exact same ilvl (latest hotfix made all tier-3 crafted gear 670).  Also, you can re-roll the stats on crafted gear, which you can't do, to my knowledge, on regular raid drops (could be totally wrong there, but I havent seen a way to yet).  My plan is to horde Burnished Leather and Primal Bloods (3 toons currently farming it for me) until week 3-4 and then use LW to supplemnent whatever gear slots I havent gotten drops for yet.

My reasoning is that the shitty luck, could just as easily be good luck and you'd replace a piece of crafted gear before even being able to upgrade it once, I would rather focus on leveling up an alt and gearing that just to be of more value to my group than focus on squeezing out max upgrade crafted pieces when they can easily be replaced next week.

(Just my opinion.)

My reasoning is that the shitty luck, could just as easily be good luck and you'd replace a piece of crafted gear before even being able to upgrade it once, I would rather focus on leveling up an alt and gearing that just to be of more value to my group than focus on squeezing out max upgrade crafted pieces when they can easily be replaced next week.

(Just my opinion.)

Very true, but I feel like in that case I would just give it to an alt, as you did, or sell it on AH, where I imagine it will fetch quite a nice sum of gold in the opening months.  Gotta use my professions for something, so either I get an upgrade for a slot I'm stuck on, I give it to an alt, or I sell it.  Win-win-win.  I like the idea of crafting my gear just because it gives me options, because RNG has screwed me in the past and I have 1 other hunter and two other Agi DPS to compete with for drops the first couple months.

Very true, but I feel like in that case I would just give it to an alt, as you did, or sell it on AH, where I imagine it will fetch quite a nice sum of gold in the opening months.  Gotta use my professions for something, so either I get an upgrade for a slot I'm stuck on, I give it to an alt, or I sell it.  Win-win-win.  I like the idea of crafting my gear just because it gives me options, because RNG has screwed me in the past and I have 1 other hunter and two other Agi DPS to compete with for drops the first couple months.

Yeah, we have an enhance and another hunter, plus a few more agi wearers so the trinkets and jewelry will be slim pickings. Personally I use my coins for that kinda stuff to take pressure off the rest of the raid.

• Like 1

Thanks to Niix for the nice guide but I have one question. Is there a crit cap for MM hunters or a percentage we shouldn't go above? For example I'm sitting at 34% crit chance buffed and with the Megawatt Filament scope procc i go 41%, any more crit above that 40% during RF or when the boss is above 80% wouldn't be an overkill? And that's with 637ilvl, once we get our hands on heroic/mythic gear with higher crit would you suggest swapping the Megawatt Filament for the Oglethorpe's Missile Splitter (750 Multistrike procc) so we wouldn't go above 40% with the procc?

Thanks in advance biggrin.png (Sorry if this was answered again, couldn't find a proper answer yet >.<)

Thanks to Niix for the nice guide but I have one question. Is there a crit cap for MM hunters or a percentage we shouldn't go above? For example I'm sitting at 34% crit chance buffed and with the Megawatt Filament scope procc i go 41%, any more crit above that 40% during RF or when the boss is above 80% wouldn't be an overkill? And that's with 637ilvl, once we get our hands on heroic/mythic gear with higher crit would you suggest swapping the Megawatt Filament for the Oglethorpe's Missile Splitter (750 Multistrike procc) so we wouldn't go above 40% with the procc?

Thanks in advance biggrin.png (Sorry if this was answered again, couldn't find a proper answer yet >.<)

Yeah 40% is our soft cap. If you get that unbuffed somehow, don't go above it. Only unbuffed is that the soft cap. Right now, as much crit as we can get is a good thing because in BiS Mythic gear we only get 32% ish

• Like 1

I just simmed it, and I got 32% uptime on Megawatt Filament, which is unlike our previous gun enchant, which had nearly 100% uptime. So I wouldn't worry to much about going over soft cap under Megawatt's proc. We don't spend THAT much time in careful aim phase after all. 

Yeah, we have an enhance and another hunter, plus a few more agi wearers so the trinkets and jewelry will be slim pickings. Personally I use my coins for that kinda stuff to take pressure off the rest of the raid.

More or less same boat here, most of the othe Agi DPS are new to the guild too, so i will do as you are and try to get gear through coins and by crafting to let the news guys get geared.

More or less same boat here, most of the othe Agi DPS are new to the guild too, so i will do as you are and try to get gear through coins and by crafting to let the news guys get geared.

Yeah it's technically bad for me but I'd rather have an even distribution of gear and get out of the pool of people that need those pieces early.

• Like 1

Exactly, my job as a raid leader is to make sure the whole group succeeds, not just me. I know i will pull my weight even with shit gear, other guys need more help, its just taking one for the team

Exactly, my job as a raid leader is to make sure the whole group succeeds, not just me. I know i will pull my weight even with shit gear, other guys need more help, its just taking one for the team

I get to be a scumbag during farm and pad the meters, progression is all about the guild.

I get to be a scumbag during farm and pad the meters, progression is all about the guild.

Wow. The perks of being in a real guild, I guess. I'm reluctant to share any of my gear with the rest of the guild because I can't trust them to put it better use than I would. Always had trouble finding a guild at my own level. 

Wow. The perks of being in a real guild, I guess. I'm reluctant to share any of my gear with the rest of the guild because I can't trust them to put it better use than I would. Always had trouble finding a guild at my own level. 

Hahaha I'm only joking I don't ask them to let me pad meters, I just focus a bit more on my DPS once we have everything down. I've never once been "that guy" and forced my guild to let me get a rank. Any ranks I got were done doing the fight normally.

Hahaha I'm only joking I don't ask them to let me pad meters, I just focus a bit more on my DPS once we have everything down. I've never once been "that guy" and forced my guild to let me get a rank. Any ranks I got were done doing the fight normally.

Uhm, it's not what I meant, I was talking about you sacrificing gearing opportunities in order to get better gear for your guildmates.

Uhm, it's not what I meant, I was talking about you sacrificing gearing opportunities in order to get better gear for your guildmates.

Yeah I know I was just ranting about my issue with rankings now a days. Ignore it haha.

I wish more people were in a position where they felt comfortable to sacrifice themselves getting gear in order to facilitate a more even spread of gear throughout a guild.

Yeah I know I was just ranting about my issue with rankings now a days. Ignore it haha.

I wish more people were in a position where they felt comfortable to sacrifice themselves getting gear in order to facilitate a more even spread of gear throughout a guild.

What I *would* do  (since this isn't my decision in the guild) is to take into account how much of an upgrade each item is for everyone that rolls for it (my guild does a MS > OS master looter style looting).  Usually it's top rolls get the piece, but that's just what I've seen during the time I've been with them, which is admittedly not very long (less than 2 months), so this could just be what was used for heroic (post-patch) farm.  I find it funny that the RL jokingly gets annoyed at me doing more dps than her (she plays fire/frost mage, vs me as MM) with my terri-bad laptop (lagging out on loading screens, practically skipping the transitions because I couldn't get it to load in time to be useful) and her doing everything she can to top meters.

What I *would* do  (since this isn't my decision in the guild) is to take into account how much of an upgrade each item is for everyone that rolls for it (my guild does a MS > OS master looter style looting).  Usually it's top rolls get the piece, but that's just what I've seen during the time I've been with them, which is admittedly not very long (less than 2 months), so this could just be what was used for heroic (post-patch) farm.  I find it funny that the RL jokingly gets annoyed at me doing more dps than her (she plays fire/frost mage, vs me as MM) with my terri-bad laptop (lagging out on loading screens, practically skipping the transitions because I couldn't get it to load in time to be useful) and her doing everything she can to top meters.

Yeah we do a Master Loot / Loot Council style system, I obviously wouldn't deny myself a huge upgrade if someone else had a better piece though.

What I *would* do  (since this isn't my decision in the guild) is to take into account how much of an upgrade each item is for everyone that rolls for it 

In ideal world that's how loot distribution would work, but that would require some complex stuff, like sumilationcraft weights being used for each roll.

I think the most skilled should get the gear, as they can squeeze more DPS from each upgrade, because only with rare exception can everyone in the raid be considered of equal skill, but that "skill" is kind of hard to determine. The most easy way would be just DPS divided by average itemlevel, but that would mean anything only on a tank'n'spank fight, or at least a fight where all damage dealers are in more or less equal conditions. 

In ideal world that's how loot distribution would work, but that would require some complex stuff, like sumilationcraft weights being used for each roll.

You must have a different ideal world than I do, as for me that style of loot distribution is simply knowing what stats are good/bad for each player, and if I don't know myself, then asking them.  After that, it's a quick comparison of which piece is better between the one that dropped and what each player that could potentially need it has on. 

For example, if a 665 mail shoulders dropped, and 2 out of our 4 hunters have 640 shoulders, and the other two have lower ilvl shoulders on, those two would have priority on getting the shoulders, since it will benefit them more (higher Agi and secondary gain).  Ofc, I'd also have to take into account our shaman, who can use those mail shoulders for healing (since spirit isn't going to be on them). 

You must have a different ideal world than I do, as for me that style of loot distribution is simply knowing what stats are good/bad for each player, and if I don't know myself, then asking them.  After that, it's a quick comparison of which piece is better between the one that dropped and what each player that could potentially need it has on. 

That would give you a general idea, but simulationcraft weights would give more precision. 

My guild does Loot Council (I am the co-RL with two others, the GL and his friend).  We take into account many factors: who gets the biggest boost, who had contributed the most the our progresssion,  who has regularly volunteered for bitch duty (engineers on Garrosh, for example), who has come in with the clutch saves, who brings a positive attitude to the raid, and finally, of course, who has already received raid drops recently.  We discussed the matter after each progression kill and reward gear accordingly.  We don't simcraft all the gear for each person, that would just be silly, but we know the relative stat weights for each class which I have on a spreadsheet, and the same spreadsheet is used to keep track of notes on raid performance, attitude, previous gear wins, etc. As I said before, I personally rank myself close to the bottom, and only take gear once I am sure everybody else has what they need.  Maybe my numbers are a bit lower the next week, but they generally tend to be during progression anyway, because I am directing the fight.

It's a lot of work, but everybody in the guild agrees with it and everybody has begun pulling more weight and generally bringing a more positive attitude once we instituted it.  It also helped us weed out a lot of "bad seeds", mostly overly mix-maxers who were more concerned with their Skada numbers than with helping the guild progress.  All-in-all, it works well.

My guild does Loot Council (I am the co-RL with two others, the GL and his friend).  We take into account many factors: who gets the biggest boost, who had contributed the most the our progresssion,  who has regularly volunteered for bitch duty (engineers on Garrosh, for example), who has come in with the clutch saves, who brings a positive attitude to the raid, and finally, of course, who has already received raid drops recently.  We discussed the matter after each progression kill and reward gear accordingly.  We don't simcraft all the gear for each person, that would just be silly, but we know the relative stat weights for each class which I have on a spreadsheet, and the same spreadsheet is used to keep track of notes on raid performance, attitude, previous gear wins, etc. As I said before, I personally rank myself close to the bottom, and only take gear once I am sure everybody else has what they need.  Maybe my numbers are a bit lower the next week, but they generally tend to be during progression anyway, because I am directing the fight.

It's a lot of work, but everybody in the guild agrees with it and everybody has begun pulling more weight and generally bringing a more positive attitude once we instituted it.  It also helped us weed out a lot of "bad seeds", mostly overly mix-maxers who were more concerned with their Skada numbers than with helping the guild progress.  All-in-all, it works well.

That sounds like a really good way to run loot and it would help a LOT with getting rid of the guys who perform poorly and are like "ooh, oohh loooooot what dropped for me?!" and, like you said, people who only cared about their own dps rather than the guild actually getting somewhere.

The way my guild did it in Siege when we were progressing was just through a loot-master type thing. MS/OS roll, but occasionally the RL gave gear to others who it would benefit more. Example of this is when I was bringing my hunter into normals and we had another hunter along as well who occasionally helped out (I was healing on my priest mainly but I wanted to gear up my hunter on the side so I was allowed to bring him along.. and also bc me playing disc meant the other two healers got no healing in... bc OP shields were OP) and on Sha the trinket dropped, both of us hunters rolled, I rolled higher, but bc my hunter probably wouldn't be bought along when we did heroic the trinket was given to the other hunter. Needless to say... a month or so later, oh crap heroic Malk's DPS, what's that you guys need my hunter? So... after that I was a bit bitter, but I understood at the time where he was coming from and  I was okay to give up the trinket because the other hunter *WOULD* come along more than my hunter would. It was just a bummer bc as soon as I won the roll I closed my bonus-roll bc I didn't need anything else and didn't realise that the RL would do that, but ahh well.

I'm just sad, that RL stopped playing and bc we're a small guild of relatively highly-skilled players on a small server with an alliance dominance and 90% of the horde players being less-skilled we're unable to get a group together for WoD raiding :(. 

(luckily for me our shaman also was a RL for another guild's raid team - they raided different times to us - who have a handful of the better players so I might be able to get into raids with them at some point, so I won't be missing out on mythic progression)