Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
culinund

Gemming question

10 posts in this topic

I have been playing Fury spec for the most part, I have tanked a few dungeons in the past and no raids ... I'm wanting to start tanking more in WoD, so I have been trying to put together a tank equipment set before the Xpac goes live.

Currently, my tank set has a lot of my DPS gear still in it but I do have a number of lower ilevel tank items in my bank.  I have used AMR Best in Bag feature to select the best items from my collection and what I have equipped in my armory is what AMR BiB says is best.

If you noticed, I have not gemmed a few of the items (or upgraded yet) and that is why I am here asking a question.   Currently my crit is at 40%, Mastery 35% and Haste 13% ..  When I use AMR for gem/enchant suggestions, pretty much every empty socket, they recommend Haste/Crit gems ...  So my questions are

1. Why is AMR suggesting haste over mastery but Icy-Veins has haste almost at the bottom of the stat priority list and mastery near the top?  Is it because my haste is considerably lower? 
  2. Is there a mastery cap?

AMR boasts the most optimal gearing so I find it strange that a number of resources I have found all show mastery the better stat to gem for.

My Armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/undermine/Culin/advanced

Apologies if this has been covered before ... Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think AMR hasn't put any thought into their stat weights.  If you read the tooltip they even say something to that affect.

Haste is kind of fun because it lowers your GCD so you can press buttons faster.  It also lowers the CD of shield slam so you can hit it more often.

I personally am using str + mastery because mastery both increases attack power and your block chance.  Strength gives you more attack power and also gives you bigger shield barriers.

I'm guessing str + crit would give you more damage than str + mastery, and also helps survival by increasing your parry chance.  Your damage taken would be a bit spikier than with mastery.

If it was me personally, I'd just gem the cheapest between str + mastery, str + crit, haste + mastery, haste + crit.

Haste isn't a particularly great stat for prot. It gives very slightly more rage by reducing your GCD and the CD on Shield Slam. It's really not much. Stats are still being somewhat debated, but for a smoother damage intake, you'd want to prioritize: bonus armor>mastery>crit>versatility>haste>multistrike. For a build with better damage output and less damage taken (though more spiky damage intake), you'd want to prioritize: bonus armor>crit>mastery>etc. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why AMR would recommend crit/haste gems over crit/strength or mastery/strength.

If you're planning for this to be more of a leveling build, I would recommend going with crit. If you're planning on raiding, I'd recommending the mastery build for the smoothness.

So, side question that is totally related in two weeks.  Is Blood Craze so poor, even with Resolve, that multistrike is so far down the list?  I would think that maintaining uptime there would work similarly to Eternal Flame for paladins, not exactly smoothing, but better compensating for the damage we inevitably take.

Thank you both for the information, I appreciate it.  

If you're planning for this to be more of a leveling build, I would recommend going with crit. If you're planning on raiding, I'd recommending the mastery build for the smoothness.

I would like to raid WoD when I get to level 100, so I'll go crit until then for the extra dps

So, side question that is totally related in two weeks.  Is Blood Craze so poor, even with Resolve, that multistrike is so far down the list?  I would think that maintaining uptime there would work similarly to Eternal Flame for paladins, not exactly smoothing, but better compensating for the damage we inevitably take.

Yes, Blood Craze is that poor. It's 3% over 3 seconds and the most important thing to note is that %-based heals do not scale with Resolve. That means Blood Craze has a maximum healing of 1%/s over the course of a fight. Thus, maintaining a 100% uptime on it is not worth the stats you'd lose in other areas, unfortunately.

1 person likes this

I made a stupid mistake by not reading the small print after being able to be top dps arms warrior or at least second in most heroic raids with the build that i had initially before mrrobot made wod changes.  I gemed to the haste that was recommended as an arms warrior and now i am lucky to be kept in mythic raids simply because I know the fights as Dps is now only at a 4 percent.  I am told by raid leaders that damage is still fine.  Its embarrassing so i attempted to re-gem the way that Asmondi my arms warrior was when he was a beast.  He only has a two piece with most of the rest is heroic war-forged.  Is there any way i can see what he used to have before i followed mrrobots advice for utilizing haste gems over the hybrid ones i was using . I was in  hopes of having at least a four piece set before wod started officially.  I tried everywhere i can think of so any help would be useful

Edited by lakewitch

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Who's "he?"

I made a stupid mistake by not reading the small print after being able to be top dps arms warrior or at least second in most heroic raids with the build that i had initially before mrrobot made wod changes.  I gemed to the haste that was recommended as an arms warrior and now i am lucky to be kept in mythic raids simply because I know the fights as Dps is now only at a 4 percent.  I am told by raid leaders that damage is still fine.  Its embarrassing so i attempted to re-gem the way that Asmondi my arms warrior was when he was a beast.  He only has a two piece with most of the rest is heroic war-forged.  Is there any way i can see what he used to have before i followed mrrobots advice for utilizing haste gems over the hybrid ones i was using . I was in  hopes of having at least a four piece set before wod started officially.  I tried everywhere i can think of so any help would be useful.

Edited by lakewitch

I don't know of any way you can see that now. This thread is also particularly about prot warrior gemming and prot's my specialty. Sajakain may step in if he sees this and help you out, but you'd really be better off making a specific thread to ask for Arms gemming help or Saj may not see your question.