Damien

hearthstone Welcome to Sottle, our new Hearthstone Writer!

33 posts in this topic

7585-welcome-to-sottle-our-new-hearthsto

We are happy to introduce Sottle, our new Hearthstone writer. He plays the game competitively for Team Infused and streams on a daily basis.

We received dozens of applications for the Hearthstone position we opened 2 weeks ago. We were very happy to have a few outstanding applicants to choose from and we eventually decided to go with Sottle, a professional Hearthstone player who competes for Team Infused. Sottle is also a multiple-time UK champion in Yo-Yo. Here is a video of him at the 2007 World Championships.

Read more, if you want to know why we went for Sottle and what it will change for the Hearthstone section.

There are several reasons why we chose Sottle. First of all, he showed an extreme proficiency at the game. Sottle is one of those players who reaches Legend every season and who compete in tournaments every week. Sottle is part of Team Infused, a professional esport team from the UK. He won the first edition of the Hearthstone UK Swiss tournament.

Second, he streams every day on Twitch and we found his stream to be very educational, which is what we were specifically looking for. We need someone who can teach our readers to be better players and we encourage you to watch Sottle's stream if you want to progress at the game.

Third, he showed excellent writing skills and a lot of initiative. He also had prior experience as a writer and curator for the blog at yoyonation.com (now defunct), which was a definite plus for us.

Fourth, and as strange as it may seem, his Yo-Yo achievements played a role in the application process. We felt that someone who competed in Yo-Yo contests for so many years was likely to be able to commit to playing Hearthstone for many years to come.

Now, how is this going to change the Hearthstone section? The most obvious change is going to be a lot more decks. Previously we had to research and test decks specifically to post them on Icy Veins. With Sottle, we have someone who already plays all possible decks and who will simply have to write them down. Also, you will notice that the deck explanations are much more detailed than before. Check out the new Warlock decks to get an idea.

We have a lot of ideas to expand on the Hearthstone section. Our main priority, after all the new decks are added to the website, is to find a way to teach people what the right play is. We have not quite figured out yet how we will proceed with this, but stay tuned and you will eventually find out!
5 people like this

Icy Veins, Gamers Ultimate Source For All Things Blizzard!

2 people like this

welcome aboard sottle boy! dem yoyo skills are broken.

Haha, thanks. Wasn't expecting a Yo-Yo video to pop up in the intro, but glad you enjoyed it.

Welcome! And congratulations!! I hate to be the one to ask this, but when you will start writing something after the warlock deck? (wich i already achieved great results)!!

Decks will update weekly, monthly, 2 week basis?

Way to go!!! Keep up the good work!

There are already more guides written and waiting approval before publishing. You should be seeing at least a dozen deck guides per month. Plus other articles on strategy, meta discussion and basically anything else I can think of! I really hope I can do big things with the Hearthstone section here.

1 person likes this

Whoa, thats awesome news, im very happy to hear this ( or read wink.png ). Way to go!

Excellent job!!!

1 person likes this

Gratz on the job. As a noob, I would like to learn more about acquiring new and better cards. Previous posts say play Arena, but before I do, I want to familiarize myself with all the heroes. What about using dust to make cards? I can bring many noob topics up.

1 person likes this

Gratz on the job. As a noob, I would like to learn more about acquiring new and better cards. Previous posts say play Arena, but before I do, I want to familiarize myself with all the heroes. What about using dust to make cards? I can bring many noob topics up.

Please do bring more "noob topics", because one thing that is always difficult when you are so immersed in a game is to figure exactly what newcomers need.

2 people like this

You can ask that of me Damien. My hearthstone skills are as good as hunters are at dpsing right now....

You can ask that of me Damien. My hearthstone skills are as good as hunters are at dpsing right now....

Hey! I'm doing pretty good right now as a hunter >.<

So something I brought up in my Basic Warlock guide, is that you need to be efficient with your dust early. The best way to go is to pick out a deck that you want to aim for with a relatively low budget from the start, and then go all-in on building it. Making the odd card here or there to improve a basic only deck is going to be inefficient in the long run. You can look for cards that overlap between your basic deck and the one you decided to craft and use those to improve in the short term though.

This is definitely something I can do an article on in more detail.

Welcome Sottle! Awesome yo-yo video too!

2 people like this

I would like you to make the most annoying deck you can ever imagine (other than MR)

I would like you to make the most annoying deck you can ever imagine (other than MR)

Freeze mage

Please do bring more "noob topics", because one thing that is always difficult when you are so immersed in a game is to figure exactly what newcomers need.

Thanks for your encouragement.

I built the warlock deck as described by Sottle. First lesson is piloting the deck. I went 1/4. Learned early on that dropping cards like an aggro deck in Magic is suicide in Hearthstone if you are facing a Shaman with lightning on overload. So out thinking your opponent is one topic.

Next match lost to a hunter with great synergy. All beasts.

Another topic, how do you decide on cards to keep vs return to deck when you are first starting?

We don't get to choose who plays or who draws first, but which is better?

Just a couple things to start. I can say I play best with my priest deck.

Which Warlock deck are you referring to? I'm going to assume it's either the Basic one or Zoo.

Welcome Sottle!  Sorry I'm late to the party.  In the near future......  "Teach me Priest Deck"   waaaagghhh

Working on Priest guides right now!

Woot!  

Hey, you ever get bored and need something to write...write a run though of that Yo-Yo awesomeness you did in the '07 video...because...wow. That was cool.

Welcome to the site man, glad to have you on board.

Glad to have you and welcome! As a person who avidly avoids hearthstone it's nice to know that if the fancy ever took me while I was inebriated, I could find a guide quickly to learn how to be much better than locky. But seriously it's wonderful to have someone with your background and skill set aboard and helping.

I remember Sottle from his ScoreHero days, nice to see you again friend :D

1 person likes this