FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AtrumLupus

Fury Warrior Titan's Grip vs. Single Minded Fury

So, I'm leveling my Fury Spec. Warrior, and I check his new abilites. Low and behold I found out not only did he now have Titan's Grip, but he had Single Minded fury. If you are anything of a perfectionist, like myself, I started to look into what would be the best for my character. Both sides, SMF and TG, seem pretty even. However I must ask, Is there a major DPS difference between the two?

Also, What would each offer?

This particular toon is not max level, he is level 60 at the moment. So I guess I'm leaning twoards what should I start to look to build on him when it comes down to weapons.

• Like 1

So, I'm leveling my Fury Spec. Warrior, and I check his new abilites. Low and behold I found out not only did he now have Titan's Grip, but he had Single Minded fury. If you are anything of a perfectionist, like myself, I started to look into what would be the best for my character. Both sides, SMF and TG, seem pretty even. However I must ask, Is there a major DPS difference between the two?

Also, What would each offer?

This particular toon is not max level, he is level 60 at the moment. So I guess I'm leaning twoards what should I start to look to build on him when it comes down to weapons.

At the moment for leveling it honestly doesn't matter. It is totally your chose on the matter. At 90 however is not much difference but there still is a difference on T14H Sim's by about 500 DPS going torwards SMF over TG. So like I said it does not matter for right now were you are at Posted Image. Also to answer your 2nd question SMF offer's 1H and TG offers 2H weapons lol. Nothing to major. Edited by Clisis
  • Like 1

I would say TG is the best option right now, due to the weapons you get when you hit 90. Two-hander offer better stats. Just look at the 463 items you get from Scholomance.

While you're leveling, it doesn't really matter what you chose.

I think warrior_talent_icon_singlemindedfury.jpgSingle-Minded Fury out-performs ability_warrior_titansgrip.jpgTitan's Grip due to the stats SMF comes with. Let's compare some weapons, stats, and math. Everyone loves math...

Under SMF we have the MH / OH BiS* Weapons:

9172 - 17036 Damage. SMF grants 35% damage increase. Presuming that this is strictly tied to your weapons this would increase a MH Shellsplitter to 12382.2 - 22998.6 Damage. (5040.0 DPS -> 6804.0 DPS).

This accounts for the base increase of 35% damage due to the SMF buff. The OH, however, has "an additional 35% damage". We can come up with two seperate calculations here based on how the system "adds" this 35%. If it adds it to the base damage of the weapon then we can simply add 70% and go from there. However if the additional 35% is added to the new damage from the original 35% we obviously get more damage than 70%. Here's the math:

1) B(.35) + B(.35) = B(.70) + B = Damage

We'll take the weapons low-end base damage to start: 9172. The weapon in the OH slot gains an additional 35%. This, then, would simply mean we have a base damage of 9172 with 70% damage increase because it's in the OH slot:

9172 @ 70% = 9420.4 + 9172 = 15592.4 low-end damage.

2) B(.35) x .35 + B(.35) = Damage

With the same low-end base damage we can figure it out this route. We already know that the low-end damage with a 35% buff is now 12382.2. If we consider this a new B and add an additional 35% (due to the talent's treatment of the OH) it will be this:

12382.2(.35) + 12382.2 = 16716 low-end damage.

If the math is calculated with route #2 you can see it adds an additional 1123.6 damage to the low-end value. (16716 - 15592.4). Now remember this is strictly for the OH weapon slot. Now let's compare these stats to a BiS 2H Weapon.

=======================================

TG BiS** Weapons are:

Let's just compare the MH slot stats. Going back to the SMF weapon we have the following adjustments because of the 35% increase:

12382.2 - 22998.6 Damage (SMF Buff)

19571 - 29357 Damage (TG)

Straight comparison would say that the TG weapon would suit more because it's higher Damage. But there's one more stat we have to consider: weapon speed. (This gives us DPS: Damage Per Second).

Shellsplitter has a weapon swing of 2.60 seconds and Harbinger swings 1 second slower at 3.60 seconds. DPS of a weapon is calculated by the following:

Low-End Damage = LED

High-End Damage = HED

Weapon Speed = WS

((LED/WS) + (HED/WS))/2 = DPS

For reference we'll use the weapon stats of inv_axe_1h_thunderisleraid_d_02.jpgShellsplitter Greataxe to prove this:

((9172/2.6) + (17036/2.6))/2 =

(3527.7 + 6552.3)/2 =

10080/2 = 5040 DPS (Note the tooltip of the weapon for verification.)

With this in mind we can compare the SMF Buff against TG.

SMF

((12382.2/2.6) + (22998.6/2.6))/2 =

(4762.4 + 8845.6)/2 =

13608/2 = 6804 DPS (Note the top of the post)

TG

((19571/3.6) + (29357/3.6))/2 =

(5436.4 + 8154.7)/2 =

13591.1/2 = 6795.6 DPS

With this we can see that SMF has a 8.4 DPS increase of TG. The point to remember here is that this is for the MH slot only. This does not take into consideration the additional 35% for the OH slot regardless of how it's actually calculated. (TG has no buff for the OH).

So from here I do not need to show all the calculations of the OH slot. We can tell, either way, that the OH will put out more DPS than TG OH. (Both play off the dual-weild hit statistic regardless).

I'm no expert in theorycrafting. This is just going off my "common sense". In fact, I may be totally wrong about my approach to this but, despite that, I wanted to share my thoughts as my main is a Warrior, I love to DPS with him, and I always want to be putting out the most damage / DPS.

Speaking of that... the one point we have to remember is that the ultimate factor to weigh on is the actual damage you do and not the DPS you put out. As they say: if you pop out 100K DPS on burst but only provide 5% of the total damage done then your DPS means nothing. Posted Image

Have a great day, folks. I hope ya'll enjoyed your math lesson for today!

* BiS for SMF information obtained from Mr. Robot

** BiS for TG information obtained form Mr. Robot

Edited: 4/3/2013: Updated weapon stats for Tier 15

Edited by Sajakain
  • Like 2

Thx for the maths i really enjoy it, but with SMF weapons im losing the crit i was getting from 2 starshatter, wasnt crit my main priority stat??

it is like 1200 crit, i tried SMF against a dummy but my rotation goes around raging blow and i wasnt getting enough procs.

does the proc % change in raid??

sorry for my spelling

Ok, I can understand single weapons doing comperable damage to 2 handers because of SMF, but dont the bonuses to str/con + crit (or whatever) give you a higher boost with 2 handers?

Thanks for the math, so all in all we can safely say that SMF pulls ahead but not that big of a deal. So if you're not on the edge of progression TG is ok to take.

I'm SMF myself but if I get 2 two handers that are better then my one hands I'll go back to it,

Not sure if anyone else sees this, but smf generally uses faster weapons than tg. Since our primary rage generation is hits wouldn't the faster weapon lead to higher DPS (more wild/heroic strikes)? My experience has shown waiting times on tg weapons and very little wait with smf weapons just due to rage generation. Not sure if anyone has had this experience or if somehow it's just me.

Rage generation is normalized. (3.6*weapon speed if I am not mistaken) which means that no weapon will generate rage faster than another. SMF just has more hits that give less rage, whereas TG has less hits that each give more rage. Overall SMF just feel smoother, but they're really equivalent.

-Rage

To reflect upon current Tier 15 weapons and numbers I have updated my post above (Post #6) with the provided calculations.

With that said, there is no difference in observation between patch 5.1 and 5.2 in the numbers between Single Minded Fury and Titan's Grip spec choices.