FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Atrais

MM Hunter Flowcharts

Hello all!

Over the past couple of days, I have been writing down the mental priority system that I have been using for my MM Hunter pre-WoD and that I will be adapting as I move into WoD.  I would love to get your feedback as to how I am prirotizing my moves and if you can spot any glaring problems.

Overall, the purpose is to always have Focus ready for Barrage + Chimera as soon as they come off CD, while also ensuring the most Aimed Shots possible.  This system is essentially adapted from Niix's original guide posted shortly after 6.0 landed, the biggest difference is that I try and use set Focus thresholds to determine what move I should cast when Chimera and Barrage are on CD.

These flowcharts assume you have taken ToTH, Stampede, and Barrage, since those are doing the best for me right now.  I will most likely be switching to GT once I hit 100 and will adapt accordingly.

NORMAL ROTATION

XPlukky.png

UNDER RF OR BOSS > 80%

9qKwf0B.png

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Atrais
  • Like 1

I might take this and modify it to include a few things (or combine them entirely) in a bit, but I have dinner and a lab soon, so it might be awhile.  At any rate, what I plan on including is a bit more in-depth look at how much focus you have and what ability you should use.  This is pretty good though, so I might end up not changing much, if anything.

I might take this and modify it to include a few things (or combine them entirely) in a bit, but I have dinner and a lab soon, so it might be awhile.  At any rate, what I plan on including is a bit more in-depth look at how much focus you have and what ability you should use.  This is pretty good though, so I might end up not changing much, if anything.

Could easily combine them, was just trying to keep them as condensed as possible and not too large.  I also do have a little more detail concerning what to do, based on your Focus, at the 3-second mark for both CS and Barr, but I have purposely left those more simplified as well.  I anticipate your revisions!

I should also note that these thresholds are not precise and require some user decision-making.  If, for example, the decision diamond says "Focus > 60", you may want to evaluate that as a yes if you are at 57-59, for example.  The exact number that each threshold should be will very based on your personal Haste, temp Haste buffs, Focus regen (e.g. BE racial), and other factors.  The thresholds I have included are what I typically use, based on my current Haste.

Well..... I'm not going to do this in paint, and word is being stupid right now, so I may or may not get around to doing this.......  I need to get more adobe (photoshop, fireworks, maybe after effects, idk) stuffs on my comp, but also need to upgrade it, so I don't want to put too much on it........

Well..... I'm not going to do this in paint, and word is being stupid right now, so I may or may not get around to doing this.......  I need to get more adobe (photoshop, fireworks, maybe after effects, idk) stuffs on my comp, but also need to upgrade it, so I don't want to put too much on it........

I used lucidchart, its free

I actually use it for work all the time for creating ERDs, mapping system integrations, e.g., seemed natural to extend that to WoW :)

I'll see if I can export the raw flowchart file for you

I used lucidchart, its free

I actually use it for work all the time for creating ERDs, mapping system integrations, e.g., seemed natural to extend that to WoW smile.png

I'll see if I can export the raw flowchart file for you

That would be awesome.  If you could, send me a pm with a dl link for lucid chart and a dropbox link for the files.

Edited by Orthios

Ok, so what I've drawn up so far is as follows:

Normal Rotation:

qwC2Bl2.jpg

Rotation During Careful Aim:

E2jkf00.jpg

As you can tell, I didn't change much from Atrais' original flowcharts, but I did add some detail depending on focus costs/how much focus you have when the decisions are being made, which is for every time you have a choice on what to do.  This seems a bit daunting and complex at first, but it really isn't.  This is simply a priority list of what to do that takes into account focus costs.  This kind of decision making comes with practice, as this is roughly what I follow in deciding what ability I am going to next use as I play my hunter.  Now I really wish master marksman procs weren't taken away though........ We literally have no spec-specific procs to react to which makes for a kinda dull rotation, but the change to Rapid Fire and Careful Aim does add a bit of variability.

Now.... for now I'm going to go play Osu! cause I need something fast-paced for the next few hours lol...... anyone who wants to join me go send me a pm.

Edited by Orthios
  • Like 1

Ok, so what I've drawn up so far is as follows:

Normal Rotation:

qwC2Bl2.jpg

Rotation During Careful Aim:

E2jkf00.jpg

As you can tell, I didn't change much from Atrais' original flowcharts, but I did add some detail depending on focus costs/how much focus you have when the decisions are being made, which is for every time you have a choice on what to do.  This seems a bit daunting and complex at first, but it really isn't.  This is simply a priority list of what to do that takes into account focus costs.  This kind of decision making comes with practice, as this is roughly what I follow in deciding what ability I am going to next use as I play my hunter.  Now I really wish master marksman procs weren't taken away though........ We literally have no spec-specific procs to react to which makes for a kinda dull rotation, but the change to Rapid Fire and Careful Aim does add a bit of variability.

Now.... for now I'm going to go play Osu! cause I need something fast-paced for the next few hours lol...... anyone who wants to join me go send me a pm.

Sorry I couldnt send you the raw chart file, the "export" option was only avilable to higher subscription levels than I have.  Looks like you made due without me :)

I love the additional details, you have essentially listed many of the decisions I didn't even realize I was making mentally during my rotation, so looks perfect to me!

I love the additional details, you have essentially listed many of the decisions I didn't even realize I was making mentally during my rotation, so looks perfect to me!

Yeah, I had to stop and think about what I do without realizing that I do it, which is the split-second decision making process that includes all of this.  All of these mental evaluations happen practically unconsciously for me, so I really had to think about what focus levels I base my decision branching off of.

This kind of flowchart is useful to kind of formulate what your rotation should be, ideally. As a guide writer, I always noticed that formulating and putting stuff on paper and explaining it to others allowed me myself to gain a better understanding of how things work. 

Obviously you're not gonna run a full priority list through your head every GCD, but putting it on paper is the first step to harnessing the skill of holding the rotation in any situation without even thinking about it. 

Obviously you're not gonna run a full priority list through your head every GCD, but putting it on paper is the first step to harnessing the skill of holding the rotation in any situation without even thinking about it. 

The thing is, I do.  I do so semi-unconsciously (as in without actively thinking about it).  You don't realize that you are executing this priority list in your head at each GCD.  I do these checks as the GCD is going around without realizing it and adjust what button I am spamming accordingly.  Most of the time what I am thinking about during these GCDs is either mechanics or whichever Vocaloid is singing the song that is currently playing.

This kind of flowchart is useful to kind of formulate what your rotation should be, ideally. As a guide writer, I always noticed that formulating and putting stuff on paper and explaining it to others allowed me myself to gain a better understanding of how things work. 

The other big thing a flowchart helps with is WeakAuras.  Knowing what decisions you need to make quickly during a fight lends itself to creating automatic WAs to help you track those decisions.  For example, I currently have a WA that pops up and counts down when CS has 3 second remaining.  I have the same for RF at 5 seconds, Barrage at 3 seconds, Stampede at 5 seconds, etc.  It helps make your decision faster.  By outlining the important decisions we know we will have to make, we can be better prepared for having to make them.

The other big thing a flowchart helps with is WeakAuras.  Knowing what decisions you need to make quickly during a fight lends itself to creating automatic WAs to help you track those decisions.  For example, I currently have a WA that pops up and counts down when CS has 3 second remaining.  I have the same for RF at 5 seconds, Barrage at 3 seconds, Stampede at 5 seconds, etc.  It helps make your decision faster.  By outlining the important decisions we know we will have to make, we can be better prepared for having to make them.

Good point. I remember I made a similar thing with TellMeWhen for my Retri Pally toon, using the priority from Icy Veins guide. I was shocked to discover that's all the skill there was to it - pressing buttons in suggested order.