FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

Warlock Leveling Poll

How are you leveling this week?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How will you be questing and killing your way to level 100?  Destruction for Chaos Bolt, Shadowburn, and Ember Tap?  Demonology for Metamorphosis?  Affliction for DoTs, DoTs, and more DoTs?  Answer the poll and share why!

• Like 2

Demonology, purely because I can run around tagging mobs with corruption then AoE them down, whereas this is only possible with Rain of Fire for Destruction and is a pain in the arse.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Shadowburn and using Havoc to take out a 100% mob with a mob sub 20%.  Ember Tap, if healing is required at all, is also huge.  Also, just in case they DON'T revert Demo nerfs, I don't want to fall in love with it and not be able to use it at 100 :(

• Like 2

I don't want to fall in love with it and not be able to use it at 100 sad.png

This is another reason why I'd rather play it for levelling, because then I at least get to play it for a while before I swap back to Destruction.

I love Destruction, but it IS getting a bit stale.

Probably Destro. CB SB flows so nicely when there are mobs dying the whole time. And we got Havoc. Everyone loves Havoc. Except non-warlocks. I will Havoc them also.angry.png

Demo. 

I'll be raiding with it, may as well get the muscle memory down.   Plus it has a few reliable instant casts to multi-tap targets, something that I've found essential trying to level in early zones in the early days of a patch. 

I leveled MoP as destro and ember tap was insanely helpful.  Without Fel Flame though there's no point in it for me.  Trying to get kill 10 of something is a pain with incinerate when you're competing with 300 hunters or mages with frost bolt just going around and tapping everything in sight.

YMMV though if you plan on leveling at a slow pace.  My goal is to get my lock up to 100 in the first day.  I may not be server first (not that that's a thing anymore) but I'll damn well be one of the first 100's on my server.

The question is a trap. Demonology is better for early leveling where you one shot everything anyone, giving near infinite DF. Once you get into the higher end, destro gets really strong for the havoc mechanics and self healing.

I'll probably just be destro all the way, because #yolo.

I'll be raiding with it, may as well get the muscle memory down.   Plus it has a few reliable instant casts to multi-tap targets, something that I've found essential trying to level in early zones in the early days of a patch. 

I leveled MoP as destro and ember tap was insanely helpful.  Without Fel Flame though there's no point in it for me.  Trying to get kill 10 of something is a pain with incinerate when you're competing with 300 hunters or mages with frost bolt just going around and tapping everything in sight.

Remember, you don't have to hit a target to 'tap' it anymore.  As long as it's alive and you hit it, you get credit.  Tapping targets is faction wide and has been for quite some time.  You don't even compete for ground items anymore - they only despawn for the person who picked them up.  Questing has never been easier or more accessible at the start of an expansion.

I'm pretty sure the Timeless Isle was an exception, not the rule.  I had no problems tagging any mob while leveling on the beta.  Even if something was at 20%, if I hit it, I got credit.  I saw a Paladin tank holding like 20 mobs - I dropped Rain of Fire and pulled some other mobs and got credit for all of them.

I'm raiding as demo, so I'll also be leveling as it. Nothing beats running around as a giant demon and mass-murdering everything in sight. By the way, is it worth stacking 25 completed quests, delivering them when WoD is out, then starting to level ?

I'm raiding as demo, so I'll also be leveling as it. Nothing beats running around as a giant demon and mass-murdering everything in sight. By the way, is it worth stacking 25 completed quests, delivering them when WoD is out, then starting to level ?

Might be worth 40% of your first level which should be equivalent to like 30 minutes of WoD questing.  Up to you.  Pretty sure the blues said it'd be more beneficial to min/max garrison materials while leveling instead of trying to get to 100 fastest.  Skipping 50% of the first level might cost you some materials.  Shouldn't be too impactful either way.

I wouldn't be confident in saying I'll raid X spec when it comes to the first tier of raiding as things can change between now and then, and the data represented from beta might not be accurate of live.

For a large portion of my initial time at 100 I'll be farming mobs it appears, and running dungeons to get my gearing done so I'll run with what I feel is optimal for that situation. 

For levelling, I'll probably stick with Demo. Its been my personal favourite spec but I've been forced into Destro simply because the two weren't comparible for so many tiers of raiding. Granted the Demo nerfs might have me again making a tough choice at 100 raiding, I feel that any spec will do for the levelling portion. I'm hoping to be done 90-100 in 8 hours, 10 at the worst, assuming nothing occurs that I need to leave my PC ( although I have a week off work so plenty of time) .

Because since 6.0 I moved to Demo and enjoying it, probably stick with it for the levelling experience.

Thinking back I always levelled with affliction, but I havn't played the spec in some time. That idea being toying around in my head. Affliction always seemed decent initial expansion launch and tiers, but havn't heard many people talking about it relating to WoD 

Might be worth 40% of your first level which should be equivalent to like 30 minutes of WoD questing.  Up to you.  Pretty sure the blues said it'd be more beneficial to min/max garrison materials while leveling instead of trying to get to 100 fastest.  Skipping 50% of the first level might cost you some materials.  Shouldn't be too impactful either way.

I've a questlog stacked with dailies and worked it out as 46% of my first level. 

The purpose of doing this, is that I can skip past quests that require individual mob tags, or quest item gathering, that is saturated with the server population. 

Being that little bit ahead means I can skip some stuff in order to get ahead of the crowd essentially and avoid downtime. I'm sure that downtime will come, its inevitable, but I'm doing everything in my power to avoid it.

What I would say, is that the XP pots you can get from garrisons arnt ideal for your main. It EATS garrison resources that again you will want to be investing to get your garrison upgraded ASAP. Garrisons are really important, so to get the work orders in, crafting etc done for yourself or selling items to make a killing, you don't want to waste resources on buying pots. Use them when it comes to alt time, thats my plan anyway, to use them with my alt to make the levelling quicker and by the end of the week have both my main and alt 100 and decked in their dungeon gear.

Make sure you install TomTom and take the Trasure chest macro doing the rounds. PIcking up treasures while you quests gives good XP and garrison resources. I plan to just take the chests that are near me while I quest, and then MAYBE finish them off before moving to the next zone. Undecided yet, but they are definitly something you want to factor into the levelling process. 

Then again I try burst new content ASAP as my only interest is endgame. My second alt (third character) is where I take my time and check out the levelling experience properly. 

I don't think I ever 'level properly.'  It's always done with a zerg to 100 mentality while gathering materials on alts.  My main bursts to 100, caps at currencies, badgets, tokens, whatever - and then goes back to complete every quest for those delicious achievement points.  Leveling, to me at least, is a barrier to playing the game how I really want.  This is my fault, though, because I've leveled 20 max level characters and don't think I can ever enjoy it again.

• Like 1

I don't think I ever 'level properly.'  It's always done with a zerg to 100 mentality while gathering materials on alts.  My main bursts to 100, caps at currencies, badgets, tokens, whatever - and then goes back to complete every quest for those delicious achievement points.  Leveling, to me at least, is a barrier to playing the game how I really want.  This is my fault, though, because I've leveled 20 max level characters and don't think I can ever enjoy it again.

I'm exactly the same. My enjoyment comes from endgae, the gearing process, acquiring that final piece to complete a set, raiding, and the social elements to it with my friends and guildies.

Leveling is something I've never truely enjoyed since WOTLK when I started multiple alts and maintaining them. Similar to yourself, I've got 15 max level characters, and the last one I levelled I paid for the boost at 60 cause I was just pure not arsed

I read one guide suggesting to cap out your Daily for quick turn in on Mid of Isle of Thunder.. using beacon and turning in again at main Isle quest hub...taking port from there to townlong for those dailies, then hearthing to Klaxxi... and finally taking SW cloak port to mage tower and heading to Blasted lands.

Then a few days later I started readin reports of peopel saying Blizz will be wiping MoP dailies from quest logs to prevent this.

not sure if its true or not, but I decided to just not bother.. since Work will slow my rush to 100 anyways :D

Oh, forgot to answer.  I liked Liquids post as its basically what I was going to say.  Mass range tagging with corruption, followed by a few Chaos Waves and a Felstorm.

Plan to level Demo to further train my muscle memory on the spec.  I think SoO gave me a good handle on Destro....

I read one guide suggesting to cap out your Daily for quick turn in on Mid of Isle of Thunder.. using beacon and turning in again at main Isle quest hub...taking port from there to townlong for those dailies, then hearthing to Klaxxi... and finally taking SW cloak port to mage tower and heading to Blasted lands.

Then a few days later I started readin reports of peopel saying Blizz will be wiping MoP dailies from quest logs to prevent this.

not sure if its true or not, but I decided to just not bother.. since Work will slow my rush to 100 anyways biggrin.png

heh, thisis exactly what I did. There is a small community around powerlevelling and this was flagged as a must do in beta. Granted I believe it has since made it front page of reddit along with other notible website, so as usual the attraction might have blizzard nerf it or do something.

There was questions posed to blues yesterday who would not confirm or deny if quest logs will be wiped.

Either way, if it is wiped i lose like 20 seconds, I just go back to Stormwind and get going. If not, I spend like 4 minutes handing in 20 quests for 46% XP. Hardly a situation where I'll be affected badly. At most I'll have to use a cloak to go to SW and then through portal, as opposed to strarting at SW biggrin.png

It took me a total of about 30 minutes to get all the quests and have them completed, so I did this all over the weekend on my two characters, about an hour in total. 

Although for me its a bit quicker. I start in Isle of Thunder and do all my turn ins to like three closely packed NPCs, I heart to Klaxxi and hand in, then fly to Shadopan and hand in, then cloak to SW and start. 

Edited by Furyio

I will be leveling as Demonology, I really enjoy the flow of it.   As far as dailies, quests or other tricks, I will not be doing any of that stuff.   I am somewhat of a slow leveler when it comes to new zones, I tend to read all the the quest lines, enjoy the story.  I only get to experience that as 'new' once and I like to savor it.   On alts, I will blaze through unless it is a zone with a story that I really love.

Remember that you have 3 weeks to get geared for Heroic, and another week until Mythic. There's no absolute need to rush to 100.

I'll be getting two characters ready for split runs and just playing a few hours each night will easily have them both leveled, geared and maxed out with Garrison in that time.

Yep - everything seems daunting when you're coming out of the gates.  Apexis crystals, crafting gear, Garrisons - it sounds so overwhelming, but I'll bet if you were capable of getting 14/14H pre-nerf, you'll have ZERO issues being optimally setup before first raid.  Even if you just barely scratched heroics in T16, you'll be fine.  Just enjoy it.  Don't treat it as an itemized checklist type of job or you'll burn out.  Trust me.