FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.1 Warlock Gems

ok i did this sim and found straight int gems to be best based on stat weights of my current gear. Im trying to figure out how much extra dps the raid buff stuff would count for, and if the training dummies are an accurate way to test a "patchwerk" style fight.

http://pastehtml.com.../cez1rqgzk.html

My hit was at 14.5% but over the course of...5 mins maybe (however long it took my mana to deplete lol) i spiked at about 75k and averaged a max of 43k.

Oddly, my damage spell ranking was odd.

UA did 25.6% at 2,133,666 damage

Agony did 25.2% at 2,096,071 damage

and corr did 21.2% at 1,766,382

Obviously i didnt have raid buffs, this was self buffed with 275 int food, an old draconic mind potion, popping my flashfrozen globule trinket, misery, DG and an old volcanic pot right off the bat. Never let a single dot drop and had haunt up when i had a shard to do so. I never recasted a dot if it had more than 3s on it, i usually tried to keep it under 1.

43k just seems low for this gear. I know the sim says 60, and raid buffs would account for a lot, but 17k?

as you can see my stat weights show haste and mastery getting closer that before since i got a few new pieces from heroics...they are close enough (im thinking) to be at a point where stacking haste wouldnt help, so i dont think thats my problem. in just two pieces of gear the mastery/haste separation went from .2 apart to .07 apart. But, going to the straight int gems (except my helm due to the socket bonus being better) did help my dps. i was unable to break 40k when i had combo gems.

I know this would have fit better in my other post of what the hell am i doing wrong haha, but i wanted to show that at this gear level the straight int gems are an improvement for me, and mastery and haste...at the moment, are too close to really worry about weighing one over the other.

as my gear progresses mastery starts to lean heavy to the advantage like you originally showed.

i just feel my dps should be higher. I know the sims are perfect scenario raid situations, so i shouldnt base it off dummies and heroics anyway lol.

Edited by vaeevictiss

Just to note though, that I ran simulationcraft just by importing my character from the armory, choosing 10000 iterations.

I selected to analyze spellpower int, hit, crit, haste and mastery.

Then I plotted for the same.

For reforge plots, I selected hit, haste and mastery

HOW exactly do you 'modify the simcraft to operate with your personal reforging' ?

In your gear setup, you might see an item like this...

chest=imperial_ghostbinders_robes,id=85990,gems=320int_320mastery_120int,enchant=80all

This indicates that my chest piece has a 320 int gem, a 320 mastery gem, a 120 int socket bonus, and an enchant of 80 to all stats. To add the reforge, you do the following...

chest=imperial_ghostbinders_robes,id=85990,gems=320int_320mastery_120int,enchant=80all,reforge=crit_hit

This will reforge crit to hit and simcraft already knows the stat basis and how much of it will be reforged. Modify your gear in any way you want to test (all reforged to mastery, hit capped, etc) and know that simcraft will automatically detect an improper reforge (Mastery when gear already has Mastery) and not perform the simulation.

ok i did this sim and found straight int gems to be best based on stat weights of my current gear. Im trying to figure out how much extra dps the raid buff stuff would count for, and if the training dummies are an accurate way to test a "patchwerk" style fight.

http://pastehtml.com.../cez1rqgzk.html

My hit was at 14.5% but over the course of...5 mins maybe (however long it took my mana to deplete lol) i spiked at about 75k and averaged a max of 43k.

Oddly, my damage spell ranking was odd.

UA did 25.6% at 2,133,666 damage

Agony did 25.2% at 2,096,071 damage

and corr did 21.2% at 1,766,382

Obviously i didnt have raid buffs, this was self buffed with 275 int food, an old draconic mind potion, popping my flashfrozen globule trinket, misery, DG and an old volcanic pot right off the bat. Never let a single dot drop and had haunt up when i had a shard to do so. I never recasted a dot if it had more than 3s on it, i usually tried to keep it under 1.

43k just seems low for this gear. I know the sim says 60, and raid buffs would account for a lot, but 17k?

as you can see my stat weights show haste and mastery getting closer that before since i got a few new pieces from heroics...they are close enough (im thinking) to be at a point where stacking haste wouldnt help, so i dont think thats my problem. in just two pieces of gear the mastery/haste separation went from .2 apart to .07 apart. But, going to the straight int gems (except my helm due to the socket bonus being better) did help my dps. i was unable to break 40k when i had combo gems.

I know this would have fit better in my other post of what the hell am i doing wrong haha, but i wanted to show that at this gear level the straight int gems are an improvement for me, and mastery and haste...at the moment, are too close to really worry about weighing one over the other.

as my gear progresses mastery starts to lean heavy to the advantage like you originally showed.

i just feel my dps should be higher. I know the sims are perfect scenario raid situations, so i shouldnt base it off dummies and heroics anyway lol.

A couple of notes...

1) You say you waited until under 3 seconds to refresh your DoTs. Thanks to Pandemic, you no longer need to worry about that and, in fact, should update your DoTs anytime Spellweaving procs, trinket procs, or right after on-use trinkets/potions. For example...

When a fight starts, I go through this opening...

Curse of Elements, (inside next global = Dark Soul + Resin Gobule trinket use), Soulburn: Soul Swap, Haunt, Malefic Grasp. I then Malefic Grasp another channel. At this point, UA has about 4 seconds left and Dark Soul has about 12 seconds left. My DMF trinket has about 7 seconds left and my Resin Gobule trinket has about 13 seconds left. I cast Unstable Affliction and it goes up to 18 seconds. I then do another Malefic Grasp. At this point, Dark Soul is about to run out and my DoTs are about to run out. Right before Dark Soul wears off, I SB:SS my DoTs and do NOT update them until they are just about to run out so that they benefit from the 30% haste. When not under Dark Soul, I reapply UA when it gets to 7 seconds or before movement and use movement times as the times where I reapply Agony or Corruption. I've had a 10 stack of Agony at a 40 second duration with DoT stacking and Pandemic making for a lot more MG time. Always think of fight mechanics when reapplying DoTs and dynamic buffs that should be utilized to power up DoTs.

2) Just trust me on the hit cap thing. I know there is math around it elsewhere that says not to, but I offer my previous argument with human judgment, perception, and error as to why you should hit cap and not deal with crappy RNG.

3) Don't underestimate raid buffs. Hopefully you receive 5% haste, 3000 Mastery, 5% crit, and 10% spell power. At lower levels of gear, these make larger impacts than at higher levels. For example, in my raid group I have the mastery, crit, and SP buff, but not haste. On Elegon attempts, I would be around 110k. In a PUG I did to get some more attempts in, they had a Shadow Priest giving me 5% spell haste. I never dipped below 130k on those attempts. It makes a huge difference.

A couple of notes...

1) You say you waited until under 3 seconds to refresh your DoTs. Thanks to Pandemic, you no longer need to worry about that and, in fact, should update your DoTs anytime Spellweaving procs, trinket procs, or right after on-use trinkets/potions. For example...

When a fight starts, I go through this opening...

Curse of Elements, (inside next global = Dark Soul + Resin Gobule trinket use), Soulburn: Soul Swap, Haunt, Malefic Grasp. I then Malefic Grasp another channel. At this point, UA has about 4 seconds left and Dark Soul has about 12 seconds left. My DMF trinket has about 7 seconds left and my Resin Gobule trinket has about 13 seconds left. I cast Unstable Affliction and it goes up to 18 seconds. I then do another Malefic Grasp. At this point, Dark Soul is about to run out and my DoTs are about to run out. Right before Dark Soul wears off, I SB:SS my DoTs and do NOT update them until they are just about to run out so that they benefit from the 30% haste. When not under Dark Soul, I reapply UA when it gets to 7 seconds or before movement and use movement times as the times where I reapply Agony or Corruption. I've had a 10 stack of Agony at a 40 second duration with DoT stacking and Pandemic making for a lot more MG time. Always think of fight mechanics when reapplying DoTs and dynamic buffs that should be utilized to power up DoTs.

2) Just trust me on the hit cap thing. I know there is math around it elsewhere that says not to, but I offer my previous argument with human judgment, perception, and error as to why you should hit cap and not deal with crappy RNG.

3) Don't underestimate raid buffs. Hopefully you receive 5% haste, 3000 Mastery, 5% crit, and 10% spell power. At lower levels of gear, these make larger impacts than at higher levels. For example, in my raid group I have the mastery, crit, and SP buff, but not haste. On Elegon attempts, I would be around 110k. In a PUG I did to get some more attempts in, they had a Shadow Priest giving me 5% spell haste. I never dipped below 130k on those attempts. It makes a huge difference.

yea like i was saying in my other post im always one for hit cap, but from last night it almost seemed being just a tad under wasnt hurting.

also, i know how pandemic works, but arent you just wasting mana recasting them so frequently?

yea like i was saying in my other post im always one for hit cap, but from last night it almost seemed being just a tad under wasnt hurting.

also, i know how pandemic works, but arent you just wasting mana recasting them so frequently?

I've had no mana issues. Each fight has at least one point or another where you need to move to avoid bad things from happening. That is your chance to Life Tap, and I believe I've maybe had to tap 5 or 6 times in most fights. Warlocks don't worry about mana regeneration. It would be a huge DPS boost to recast DoTs as powerful buffs proc and right before they end to extend the bonus of your damage buffs in ways other classes cannot. If you're having issues watching for those procs, install something like Power Auras or Tuk/ElvUI so that you can have class timers. I use TukUI and it comes with an amazing class timer addition that allows me to input what buffs I want tracked. I've had to go into the addon and personally add certain things like the Darkmoon Faire trinket and Windsong, but having them pop up on my UI where they are easily seen pushes me to stop what I'm doing and recast my DoTs. This is no longer a DPS loss thanks to Pandemic and should be fully utilized. This is one of the ways you go from being a good Warlock to a great Warlock.

As your gear level improves, you'll want to put less and less hit gems in. Blue sockets, unless the socket bonus is Mastery or Intellect, should still get the 320 Mastery treatment. Otherwise, you can slap in a 160 hit/160 mastery in (Sensei's)

expertise is still giving spell hit, correct? I just need to manually add it to my totals if i'm looking at myself on armory (or a reforging site)?

edit: seems that AMR sees my expertise, but that number differs from the math of adding my expertise to my current hit number on armory, and both numbers differ than what i remember seeing before i logged off.

Edited by Gravyspasm

I'm having issues with AMR and WowReforge. I just do it manually with an Excel sheet. All you need to know is that you can reforge 40% of a stat into another. Sometimes I don't bother and blow 1,000 gold reforging as I tweak stuff, but I find that just doing the numbers myself (especially since AMR and WR aren't efficient at upgrades yet) makes it that much easier.

WowReforge.

WoWreforge has been broken since mop hit. i can't trust it anymore. at least AMR had some updates making it a relatively good tool to get an idea what could be done.

not to necro, but i am curious about this too as i have been using a bunch of 320 haste gems lately

Check out my gems by clicking on my sig. I'm parsing competitively in the heroic bosses I've done, so I'd have to say that straight int isn't necessary.

Edited by Omaric

yea thats what i was thinking...so no change then. Ill stick with my haste gems unless i need the socket. Normally socket bonuses are not worth it unless 120 of a stat correct?

Meh, it's not going to break the game either way probably, but I like when the socket bonus is lit up green. :D