Somn

Somns Gladiator Guide

45 posts in this topic

Still a work in progress and will continually be updated as things are figured out and what not. It's extremely opinionated and probably has inaccuracies or debatable things typed. I made it primarily for friends and my guild but hey, why not post it here and see what you folks think.

http://www.somnsucks.com/introduction

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, constructive though! Don't gimme any of that nonsense about me being bad that's already in the title of the website....we already know it!

Also apologies if I'm not supposed to post links to stuff like this in the forums sad.png I apologize from the bottom of my unnecessarily large warrior codpiece.

::EDIT::

As of 4:20 (coincidence... I promise :D) the video guides are up on the pages and on youtube. They're a mess though I'm far too sleepy and delirious to be recording audio. I'll have to rerecord them :(

Edited by Somn
1 person likes this

Sorry for the double post, but I'm working on the video guides right now. So you can hear my turrable monotone explanation of how to hit buttons well.

U SUCK BRAH, U SHUD QUI- No, joking. Sounds nice to me.

I have a question tho: if using Heavy Repercussions, shouldn't Shield Slam go in after Shield Charge for added damage?

U SUCK BRAH, U SHUD QUI- No, joking. Sounds nice to me.

I have a question tho: if using Heavy Repercussions, shouldn't Shield Slam go in after Shield Charge for added damage?

Yes it absolutely should assuming that you aren't at a point where you're starved for rage. Gotta make sure that you have the 20 rage for shield charge, and the 30 rage for heroic strike on of it. So 50 rage all totaled or it's better to spend Shield Slam on rage generation and hold your Shield Charge charge for your next Shield Slam when it WILL benefit from HR. Must've mistyped it... Been going since 7pm last night so I'm a bit off on a few fine details hehe

Actually I have found an issue with your glyph section.

One can not be a TRUE warrior unless they have Blazing Trail. It should be mandatory for all warriors or they must re-roll as sparkle pallys.

Edited by Malleck
1 person likes this

Actually I have found an issue with your glyph section.

One can not be a TRUE warrior unless they have Blazing Trail. It should be mandatory for all warriors or they must re-roll as sparkle pallys.

Very valid point! I make a note of it in the video though! Regardless, editing the page as we speak...

Changed up the Rotation and Skills page a bit to make it more understandable. Less rambly, straight up priority listings. Enjoy! Also added a 'perfect pull' macro and changed some wording around here and there. New blog up about level 100 Ragnaros as well as a video of the fight itself, the helmet, and mount. No pet though :( The loot gods weren't on my side for that one.

Hi Somn,

Nice guide :D

i was just wondering if you simed the numbers for haste vs crit?  and you are just not being  stuck in the old ways

Hi Somn,

Nice guide biggrin.png

i was just wondering if you simed the numbers for haste vs crit?  and you are just not being  stuck in the old ways

Simulations in 630 item level gear show Haste as being second. Haste shortens the CD on Shield Slam. It is certainly not the worst stat once you hit the 330 soft cap.

Hi Somn,

Nice guide biggrin.png

I personally have not yet and I'm absolutely stuck in the old ways >.< I hate haste. I always have and I always will. But, as Katka linked, according to those sims it shows it being second after Crit. However I can't remember the last time I went through a shield charge buff without getting a Sword and Board proc, so that factors into it in my mind to an extent. Like I said on both the video and the site, there's 2 mindsets on stat priority and you can technically build for either of them.

The safest bet is 330 haste at the very least to fit a second Shield Slam into your Shield Charge buff, should you not get and procs from spamming Devastate. From there on, I'm going to set up a couple few profiles on my next string of days off (tue/wed/thu) and do some sims to attempt to figure things out at various gear levels.

Did some quick 5th grader math to see what was more efficient to use sub 20%. Purely seeing what is more efficient as far as per rage spent. Every single thing about it is just me messing around and attempting to have fun. Not an actual theorycrafter here! Erm... Just uh... Tryin to be all......... fancy mathman guy...................

(I'll just leave this here)

http://www.somnsucks.com/blog/2014/11/22/to-execute-or-not-to-execute

so what exactly is the deal with haste? seems like if a haste build is viable then it wouldnt be at the bottom of the crit build. could you explain the reasoning behind this plz?

so what exactly is the deal with haste? seems like if a haste build is viable then it wouldnt be at the bottom of the crit build. could you explain the reasoning behind this plz?

Haste affects the cooldown of Shield Slam, which is why people think it's viable. With the recent 20% nerf to Shield Slam and Revenge damage the value of haste will fluctuate depending on what breakpoints you can hit (330 haste resulting in 2x shield slams within a shield charge buff window being the first breakpoint). As it is right now hitting the 2nd breakpoint isn't possible. Crit will result in a steady gain of rage through enrage procs from critting with Devastate, which you'll be spamming frequently. Technically both builds are viable, coming out to a tiny difference in sims, but I favor crit as I'm a purist.

----------

New blog post up about Gladiators in Highmaul.

http://www.somnsucks.com/blog/2014/12/2/its-raid-time-folks

I have been doing the same exact thing with my glad and I am loving it, just too lazy to make a guide. Great guide man, pretty much exactly what I am running. I agree that haste is garbage after 330 and I have tested it personally. Although they are close on DPS, multistrike just "feels" more manly. Something I noticed was that our gladiator stance isn't currently affecting the damage of Shield Slam. Was this changed in the nerf or has it always been this way? I would certainly assume that Shield Slam is a physical ability.

I have been doing the same exact thing with my glad and I am loving it, just too lazy to make a guide. Great guide man, pretty much exactly what I am running. I agree that haste is garbage after 330 and I have tested it personally. Although they are close on DPS, multistrike just "feels" more manly. Something I noticed was that our gladiator stance isn't currently affecting the damage of Shield Slam. Was this changed in the nerf or has it always been this way? I would certainly assume that Shield Slam is a physical ability.

if I can ever log on I'll look at that and we'll see. I know that they nerfed the damage of Shield Slam and Revenge by 20% on the 25th... So that probably has some play in it. Might've just evened it out to be about equal.

If I can ever kill this Blue Bar Boss I'll keep ya posted.

Yea I am fightning blue bar as well. Revenge and devastate are still affected, so if that were the case we would probably see the same thing happening with revenge. If they just removed gladiator's affect on shield slam it may present issues later on.

Got 4/7 down last night in Highmaul, Gladiator was far outperforming the fury warrior (whom I know is a tremendous player). Blog post is up for Gladiators Guide to Highmaul.

http://www.somnsucks.com/blog/2014/12/2/its-raid-time-folks

I see you listed Unyielding strikes for every single fight.

That being said, could you please make a guide that you follow?

Currently Icy-veins doesn't even have glad spec on the list under warrior. It could be you....

There's a Gladiator Guide written by Ragebar pinned at the top of the warrior forum.