FORUMS
Vlad

Basic Priest Deck

Guest sabermancer

Heya, I'm new to Hearthstone, and I haven't lost once with this priest deck! I even win against decks that are heavy with legendaries and rares(once won a game against someone with 5 legendaries lol). Thanks a lot for this!

I'm also loving this basic deck, with the right draw opponents are obliterated!

I do have a question though, I do not understand why 2x Zombie Chow are good (I don't have access to them yet but I still wonder). They heal the enemy with 5, but you say the deck is not focused on dealing damage? Giving the enemy 10 health seems rather...odd? (total n00b here, just been playing since this week so sorry if my question is stupid). 

The deck is not focused on dealing damage, it's focused on building a board state that your opponent can't recover from, at which point you deal all the damage you need to do in 2-3 turns. Zombie Chow helps you achieve that by being a 1 Mana 2/3, which is bigger than almost anything else your opponent can play for the same cost, this helps you dominate the board and eventually lets you start dealing damage.

Guest Kyusskid

Hello Sottle

Thanks for the guides you've written. I'm still a complete newbie to Hearthstone and have been having fun with this deck. I love the amount of card draw you can get.

I do struggle though when I can't get a foot on the board early or I don't get Smite or Pain early on to get rid of the other guy's minnions. I'll throw the grizzly taunt out when I can and give him a buff but he usually gets smashed quite quickly

Do you have any tips for digging out of a whole with this deck?

Difficulty in playing from behind is just a natural problem with Priest unfortunately, even in the top level Priest decks, you tend to struggle if you can't get on board. The reason for this essentially, is that with minions to heal, the Priest hero power doesn't really have anything to do.

If you're able to heal a minion every turn, the Priest hero power might be the best in the game, if you don't, it might be the worst.

Guest SoutherDude

I'd just like to point out another upgrade to the basic deck:
Switching out the river crocolisk (2mana, 2/3) with the amani berserker (2mana, 2/3, enrage+3/0) if you happen to get them. Cheap to buy as well. smile.png

Guest Taha

Hi, I suppose I could call myself new, or rather, novice.

I have quite a few hours on this game, but have no real new cards to speak of, 0 legendaries and 1 epic to my name, and a 30 game loss streak. As a result I took to using your deck. I tried it on normal bots and won every game. But I still fail to win against expert bots or real players. As soon as the cleric goes out, they focus her down and all synergy is lost. Either this, or I draw 5 buffing cards for a hand and have had to skip essentially 4 goes in a row.

You shouldn't be playing your Cleric unless you get immediate value from it, don't just play it out on the board to die, wait for a time where you draw cards with it straight away.

Guest Thanatophilia

Hi, thanks for your guides, I've really learnt quite abit from them! (:

What would you say about Gurubashi Berserker + 2 Divine Spirits and 1 Inner Flame? Will it work?

Nope, too gimmicky. The Inner Fire gimmick requires a specific deck built around it, and even then there hasn't been a build that's actually proved competitive.

Guest Scionyde

Hey I really appreciate the guides.  I'm new to Hearthstone and following your advice has been very, very successful so far.  The only bump in the road is with the Priest.  I've won a few times against some tough opponents (one had green card backing, whatever that means), but not nearly as much as I have with the other classes so far.  

I'm still new of course, but I seem to be getting outpaced early on and by the time I'm able to throw down some big cards, I'm already at a huge disadvantage.  Any help with this class using the basic deck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scionyde#1350

weird. my post didn't show up

It's not weird.

Every guest and user's first posts have to be approved by a Moderator before it gets published. :)

• Like 1

Ha! Yeah I noticed that too late.  At any rate, disregard my last post.  I went back to the decks that I was more successful on and had the same problem.  It looks like the match-making took me up to a point where I was facing players and/or decks that I'm not ready for yet.  It makes sense that I would steamroll other players that are new and chose to not take advantage of guides, forum advice, etc. like I did.  It's gone for "ha I'm pwning everyone" to "well that was interesting" lol, which is fine.  I'm still making my way through the basic set and exploring Play Mode (casual).  It looks like a season just ended, which would affect the casual mode I would think.

In spite of that, Priest has probably taught me more about the game than any class so far.  My favorites right now are Rogue and Hunter.  I've been able to beat what look like some really good decks and players (some had green and orange card backings whatever that means).  It's been a blast and I'm glad I found this guide :D.

Guest azim

small tip for zombie chow and understanding its high value ... 

if you manage to have zombie chow still alive on the turn 4, dropping auchenai priest followed by trade of your zombie will DEAL 5 dmg to the opponent hero instead of heal ... 

if you manage to have zombie chow still alive on the turn 4, dropping auchenai priest followed by trade of your zombie will DEAL 5 dmg to the opponent hero instead of heal ... 

And it is a 1 mana drop, which can trade with almost all 2 drops with minimal downside in the early game. That is its biggest value.

This is a really, really, really, minor point, and Zombie Chow would still be a strong card in Priest if this interaction didn't exist. Sure the 5 damage is nice, but Priests do not care about life totals, they don't win games by rushing the opponent down.