FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zakariel

Need help for silver proving ground [Frost]

Epic Patron

Hello everyone,

i need some help. I have been trying quite a few times, to achieve the silver level on the proving ground with my frost mage to no avail.

I do use the amber guys, and I do interrupt the healer, but it always seems I am 2 sec over on the time clock.

I have read about frost mage here and on noxxic, and also watch videos how other frost mage do it but nothing seems to work right now.

My guess would be something flawed in my rotation since gear doesn't matter in proving ground.

Here is a link to my armory.

Thank you for your help. ^^

a) Don't forget to use your cooldowns. Don't just cast and expect procs, use cooldowns.

b) Pick Ice Nova. Just amazing burst
c) Pick Incanter Flows
d) Pick Alter Time to trick the amberweavers

I couldn't do it either and my elemental was driving me nuts because he kept breaking my polymorph, so I switched to Arcane and found it much easier.

Your elemental shouldn't even attack a mob that you have not attacked previously. Then, if you attacked it previously, why would you sheep it? ^.^

Silver is possible in all specs, and the difficulty depends on the player's ability to play a spec. For example, I one-shotted gold on the day I dinged, and then also one shotted the legendary questline Kairoz, while I wasn't actually paying attention to the time bombs, but of course, I have exclusively played frost since 5.0. What I want to point out is: Play the spec that you are most familiar with. If you start a new spec just to do PGs, because someone told you so, you will most likely be disappointed by the result.

I couldn't do it either and my elemental was driving me nuts because he kept breaking my polymorph, so I switched to Arcane and found it much easier.

Recently I got into the habit of controlling my Water Elemental manually instead of relying on the Glyph. If your water elemental is attacking targets you are not targeting, you can use the macro to force him to attack the same target:

/cast [harm] Frostbolt

/petattack

Also, attacking a target and then using polymorph on it is a VERY bad idea since polymorph gives the affected target increased regeneration, basically undoing all the dps you did, and wasting precious wave time.

Just a note, there is another topic on Proving Grounds Silver if you want more tips

Epic Patron

I play frost since level 1 on my toon, not because it's necessarily the best but because I like it, so I would not want to switch spec just to achieve proving grounds, especially since I intend to play the further heroics in frost anyway.

I have switched Mirror Image for Incanter's Flow. And I do use the Alter Time to help me switch places on high movement.

I will check the Ice Nova as you propose, thank you.

I do also use the Water Jet from my water elemental when my Frozen Orb is on cooldown to help proc the Finger of Frost.

Thank you all for your help, and keep sending me your advice, I will try them out and let you know when I finally succeed. ^^

I've been playing my mage since vanilla and have been successfully raiding since BC.   But I am 67 years old and my reflexes simply aren't as fast as they once were.  I think that the proving ground requirement may mean the end of my WoW career.  I simply can't do it--not even close.  It's sad because I could still raid, I just can't do this quickly enough.

Just completed the silver proving grounds on my frost mage, having done it before with a BM hunter and a Destruction Warlock, will say that the mage was the most challenging, took me a dozen tries before completing it successfully.

I'll try to my best ability to describe how I did.

Talents: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zmyIIM

For all waves, apply the Frost Bomb to the mob you're attacking, this is particularly important if you need to kill multiple targets like the Varmints.

As none of the mobs attack you, stay close to them and use Cone of Cold (Glyphed, preferably). Glyph of Water Elemental is useful for the waves where you need to move.

Wave 1: Kill the Small Illusionary Slayer, move behind the Guardian (use blink if you need) and kill it, this wave should not pose a problem so do not waste your cooldowns on this.

Wave 2: Cast the Prismatic Crystal right in the middle of the varmints, cast the Frozen Orb, cast Frostbolt against the Crystal and Ice Lance as soon as Fingers of Frost procs.

There should be maybe one or two varmints alive by the time the Crystal is finished, just kill them using your regular rotation + Cone of Cold.

Wave 3: Stand behind a slayer and kill the Amber-Weaver, you might need to use Mirror Image to improve damage output. Kill the slayers.

Wave 4: Use the varmints to protect you from the orb, kill the Amber-Weaver,  kill the Varmints. Try to save Frozen Orb for next wave, use the Prismatic Crystal if it's not on cooldown anymore.

Wave 5: Focus on the Mystic, use your regular rotation + Frozen Orb and use Counterspell as soon as it begins to cast its healing spell. The hardest part of this wave is control the anxiety, you just can't miss the interrupt. Once the Mystic is dead kill the varmints.

Wave 6: Kill order is Mystic, Slayer, Guardian. Don't forget the interrupt and try to save cooldowns for the next wave. Once you managed the healing interrupts this wave should not pose a problem.

Wave 7: IMHO this is the hardest wave, try to use the amber to help the interrupts, kill the Mystic and then focus on the Amber-Weaver. You can burn your cooldowns but save the Mirror Image for last wave (I'll explain why).

Wave 8: This wave demands more movement because of the two Amber-Weavers. Use Mirror Image so they will continue to do damage when you're moving away from the orbs. Kill order is Mystic, Amber-weavers and Slayers.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1