FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gwenymph

UBRS CM Tips and Vid

There have been soooo many questions with this CM.  I'm guessing its because we have had it as the Daily 4x since launch already!  Instead of filling up the vid thread, I'm hoping to redirect those who need help and those who have completed and can offer other perspectives here!

These are the approaches that worked well for the groups I was in.

Orebender Gor'ashan:

Since standing on the traps has been hotfixed I have used the approach of one class w/ a short dmg red CD or multiple dmg red CDs run around the platform.  There are boxes in the corner of the room that others have used as a stack point as well but I have not had time to go back in and try it out but many are saying it is easier than selecting that one person that has the ability to unlock them all and get back safely.  I use the AA proc for IF on CD starting w/ the time the DPS goes around the platform.  I hold Barrier until the end so I can focus more on the prolonged time the DPS has to close the extra traps and less on the people on the platform.  Tanks damage is not very high feel free to PS the trap DPS.

Kyrak:

We focused down the adds first and asap.  If we had Hero/Lust we used it on pull to get them down.  The tank chained all their CDs on the pull and when they expired I held off on Pain Suppression as long as I felt comfortable.  The tipping point of one shotting this boss came when we allowed him to Fixate for longer periods.  If the healer is Fixated we interrupted but as soon as a DPS was Fixated we allowed the boss to be kited away to alleviate tank damage and to allow a little more breathing room for the healer to catch up while the adds are dropped.  When Kyrak gets uncomfortably close we then interrupted Fixate allowing him to return to the tank now that both adds were dead or at the very least one add dead and one under 15%.  Once that is over the fight just becomes a typical don't stand in bad and attention to dispels/cleanses.  Make sure range are not standing too close for Fixate.  Again use AA for IF procs to help catch you up on CD.

EDIT: There is an alt strategy that we tried last night and worked just as well for dmg mitigation but worked better for movement and that is to have a range DPS up on the balcony pull start the encounter by pulling Kyrak.  As before, tank picks up the adds and you burn them down asap.  As Kyrak reached the top of the balcony where the DPS is standing have them drop down to the floor level, finish off the adds.  Tank picks up the boss as he pats back down the ramp, dispel, move, repeat.

Tharbek:

You can mana up before the boss is pulled, just make sure your tank is not chain pulling in front of the gate when Tharbek is next to allow you to fill up.  Don't stand in front the mount b/c of breath.  Ranged and Healer spread out around Tharbek so we don't get two people clipped by the range attack.  The hotfix went in on 11/25 to prevent the double and triple attack happening to players at range that was causing one shots and the adds at 10% were also removed w/ the hotfix.  Once Tharbek is alone you and the Tank coordinate your CDs to allow you to focus on keeping the DPS above 40%.  It is on them to avoid spinning axes.  Trying to keep everyone at full health that get hits by ranged attacks will leave your mana stressed when the tank needs to be caught up.  Again use AA for IF on CD for catch up.

EDIT:  You can skip the trash on the balcony overlooking the arena to better your time.  Just be mindful to not hit them w/ AoE as the mobs fly around above you.

Ragewing:

We had Healer and Range line up agains the backside of the bridge, opposite the boss, enough so that only one person moves during spit.  We also made sure to stay as close to the middle as possible to minimize the distance we had to run to avoid the breath attack.  During first add intermission no healer CDs were used except for SS or PI whichever talent you chose.  If you took SS, make sure its stacked prior the the transition so you can focus on those who need it then AA off an add for an IF PoH to get you through the rest of it.  We AoE down the adds while the dps avoids some of the splash dmg.  Personally I stood in most of the dmg w/ PWS and SS.  Repeat the same steps from P1 then get rdy w/ AA>IF>PoH preemptive to transitioning to add phase again.  This time I dropped barrier on the middle of the bridge and we all just stood in the splash dmg while getting all the adds down.  Boss lands, popped PS on tank then all that is left is avoiding spit.

EDIT: There have been alt strategies posted to pull the boss while your range DPS is outside the gate that gets locked.  Allowing them to DPS from a safe distance.  Some even have the entire group wait outside if they cannot survive the mechanics as intended.  This is of course and exploit, do NOT try this.

Zaela:

I have read that she is supposed to transition at 66% but I have experience everytime I am in a group that uses Hero/Lust on the pull we can get her down to 50% before fire phase.  I prefer PI for this fight and let mindbender go during our Hero/Lust for added dps.  Whirlwind is avoidable dmg so I proc AA>IF>PoH prior to adds and during the entirety of the fire phase.  Whenever you decide to drop Barrier make sure that it overlaps two "squares" to provide a little cushion in case of bad RNG w/ fire.  Coordinate CDs w/ your tank when you as a healer have to move.  Try not to stack in the same line as your tank.  I try to stay on the outside edges while my tank tries to stay in the middle.  Emergency heals will be required for DPS that gets corned by Fire and the targeted by Whirlwind.  PWS>Spam or Grip.

I go into CMs w/ a SS spec and a PI spec.  You cannot change talents or Glyphs while in a CM but you can change specs   smile.png    Happy Medal hunting and at the very minimum enjoy your Daily CM rewards, fingers crossed for WF w/ Socket!

Edited by Gwenymph

Pre Hotfix on Orebender and Tharbek:

Post Hotfix on Orebender:

RESERVED for Kyrak Update:

Edited by Gwenymph

Added and highlighted some more remarks based on private feedback.  Please don't be hesitant to post strats/questions that have worked out better for you based on your group!

Thanks for the helpful information!  What do you mean when you say "AA for IF on CD"?  I get the archangel and cooldown bits, but what is IF?  Instant Flash heal from Surge of Light?  Do you recommend that over Mindbender or Solace?  I had been using Mindbender but I switched to Solace and that seems to work out better for me since I was tossing out Holy Fires anyway to get a stack of Evangelism for Archangel + PoH crits.  I attempted UBRS CM the other night and it did not go well at all so I am trying to figure out what I can do better.

• Like 1

AA > IF >PoH   is Archangel, which now automatically procs our old ability Inner Focus.  Inner Focus gives us a guaranteed crit on our next cast making PoH a great built in CD to Disc toolkit.  If you need a CD to help you catch up or to bear the brunt of an eminent incoming party wide damage and you do not have 5 stacks of Evangelism go ahead and hit AA anyway.  The time and mana it will cost you to catch up after getting stacks will not make up the benefit of having the extra 5%, 10% healing.

Oh, you mean the Empowered Archangel Draenor Perk? http://www.wowhead.com/spell=157197/empowered-archangel

That makes more sense now, and I make extensive use of that thing, it's amazing!  I often pop just a Holy Fire (or Power Word: Solace) just to get a stack to blow on AOE heal.  I just didn't equate that with Inner Focus since it's gone now.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh, you mean the Empowered Archangel Draenor Perk? http://www.wowhead.com/spell=157197/empowered-archangel

That makes more sense now, and I make extensive use of that thing, it's amazing!  I often pop just a Holy Fire (or Power Word: Solace) just to get a stack to blow on AOE heal.  I just didn't equate that with Inner Focus since it's gone now.  Thanks!

Yup that is exatly it!  Use it when you need it, don't be held down by waiting for 5stacks.  smile.png  I personally use Mindbender for the extra dps during challenge modes. 

Where are you getting stuck in UBRS?

Yup that is exatly it!  Use it when you need it, don't be held down by waiting for 5stacks.  smile.png  I personally use Mindbender for the extra dps during challenge modes. 

Where are you getting stuck in UBRS?

We quit at Commander Tharbek after several wipes; we had already been in the instance for 3 hours by that point anyway.  I felt I was really doing subpar healing and I wasn't able to keep up with all the damage people were taking in all the fights, but especially on Tharbek.  It just ate through my shields quickly and I found it difficult to keep trying to keep people alive through things like the axe he throws out that hits for like 36k + ticking damage.  That, along with the charge attack he does repeatedly targeting me, made things really difficult and by the time we wiped there were four Imbued Iron Axes whirling around the arena and the rogue and warrior were only doing 9k DPS because of all the movement.

Given, I think everyone was screwing up a fair bit and we weren't really prepared with a full kit of potions and things like that.  I just felt like I was failing very badly.  I always take it personally when someone dies, since it's my job to make sure they do not.