FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Brutalpriest

Shadow stat weights? And 100 talents.

Hey all.  I'm trying to go shadow this expansion.  I'm looking around the net and trying to find some good theorycrafting on what's good for Shadow right now.  It seems to be that level 100 talents critically change your stat weights and cast priorities.  If anyone has any advice to offer on Shadow I'd be glad to take it. 

From my own testing against the 3 training dummies in Org.  It seems Auspicious Spirits and Void Entropy are both roughly equally good in multi-dotting with 3 targets up (roughly 11400 dps for both.)  Clarity of Power seems to fall behind in this regard (about 10500 dps.)

I tried out Single Target with Clarity of Power as well.  Traditional dot mix seemed to get me about 10k dps.  Forgoing pain and vamp lowered that to about 9600 dps. 

Single Target Void Entropy got me 8k, about what I expected.  Single Target Auspicious Spirits got me 9.5k, coming close to single target Clarity of Power traditional dot mix. 

This was done with a random spread of stats of gear I got from heroics, at 632 ilvl. 

Thoughts?

As you know, I don't play shadow, but I can direct you to this article over on howtopriest which may be of use.

It's quite long, but down near the end is the stat-weights for each 100 talent. 

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but I'll direct you over there anyway.

And from what I can gather, it might be a case of "which talent fits the fight" early on and the different lvl 45 and 75 talents would also influence it as well. I hope this is somewhat useful to you ^^'

• Like 1

Right now the only viable way for shadow is CoP dotweaving. Other play styles simply aren't competitive. AS requires more crit than we have now and VEnt is a joke.

The most common stat weights are those posted by Drye in the link Kulia gave.

The guide says:

• Int = 1.0000
  • Spell Power = 0.8820
  • Crit = 0.5522
  • Haste = 0.5796
  • Mastery = 0.5210
  • Multistrike = 0.5749
  • Versatility = 0.4863
  • DPS (Pure Damage) = 0.1572

so, which one is the "best" stat?  is it:   int>spellpower>crit> haste  

sry, but i dont unterstand this ;D

Allow me to rearrange that for you.

• Int = 1.0000
  • Spell Power = 0.8820
  • Haste = 0.5796
  • Multistrike = 0.5749
  • Crit = 0.5522
  • Mastery = 0.5210
  • Versatility = 0.4863
  • DPS (Pure Damage) = 0.1572

So int > haste > multistrike > crit > mastery > versatility

Thanks for the input guys =)  That guide was extremely helpful, and I feel that I'm using shadow "right" now ha ha. 

• Like 1

Has anyone tried running the Shadow Word: Death Glyph to cycle in when you Dot weave to pump out more dps? I mean, you can cast it twice at any time, that with a mind blast will proct your devouring plague all the time. Thoughts??

Has anyone tried running the Shadow Word: Death Glyph to cycle in when you Dot weave to pump out more dps? I mean, you can cast it twice at any time, that with a mind blast will proct your devouring plague all the time. Thoughts??

This is how it should be done and it covers this in the shadow guide.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/shadow-priest-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

That guide contradicts itself =(  Specifically sections 1 and 4.5.  Unless the first section is for complete newbies, and it's telling advanced players "forget everything we told you above, this is how to do damage properly" which I feel is giving players a crutch, then taking it away and forcing them to relearn their shadow rotation.

This is how it should be done and it covers this in the shadow guide.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/shadow-priest-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

I don't see where it talks about utilizing the Shadow Word: Death Glyph? Can you highlight the area? It just talks about using Shadow Word : Death when the target is below 20%. 

(

1. Cast wow_icon_spell_shadow_demonicfortitude.jShadow Word: Death if you have fewer than 5 Shadow Orbs.
    • Always cast Shadow Word: Death a second time unless you have 5 Shadow Orbs. Both casts in the double-tap grant Shadow Orbs.
    • Shadow Word: Death is only usable on targets that are below 20% health.)

Not the topic to do so, but I'll jump into the correction train. Please correct/move my post if I'm doing wrong.

There is a contradiction in the guide:

"The ticks of Devouring Plague cannot be critical strikes and they cannot trigger multistrikes."

"This causes the total damage for DoTs to be spread over 7 ticks rather than 6 ticks. Multistrikes on application of Devouring Plague cause Devouring Plague to refresh with this Ignite mechanic.

Each tick, including the extra tick from a Multistrike, is capable of triggering ability_priest_surgeofdarkness.jpgSurge of Darkness."

What's correct afterall?

Also, Devouring Plague is always cast with 3 orbs now, AFAIK, au contraire of what is suggested here:

"The damage of Devouring Plague is based on the number of Shadow Orbs you cast it with. We advise you to always cast it with 3 Shadow Orbs."

Guides are pretty good here, but those small things may mislead newbies.

Not the topic to do so, but I'll jump into the correction train. Please correct/move my post if I'm doing wrong.

There is a contradiction in the guide:

"The ticks of Devouring Plague cannot be critical strikes and they cannot trigger multistrikes."

"This causes the total damage for DoTs to be spread over 7 ticks rather than 6 ticks. Multistrikes on application of Devouring Plague cause Devouring Plague to refresh with this Ignite mechanic.

Each tick, including the extra tick from a Multistrike, is capable of triggering ability_priest_surgeofdarkness.jpgSurge of Darkness."

What's correct afterall?

The on-hit of DP can Crit and/or Multistrike. If the on-hit Multistrikes, it refreshes and causes 7 ticks. Individual ticks are always 1/6 (or 1/7) of the total on-hit value of DP + any unspent damage from an existing DP on the target (this is the Ignite mechanic). Individual ticks can not Crit or Multistrike.

The on-hit of DP can Crit and/or Multistrike. If the on-hit Multistrikes, it refreshes and causes 7 ticks. Individual ticks are always 1/6 (or 1/7) of the total on-hit value of DP + any unspent damage from an existing DP on the target (this is the Ignite mechanic). Individual ticks can not Crit or Multistrike.

Thanks for clarifying this, Twintop.