FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nuadria

Shadow Priest dps question

Hello! I am new to shadow priest dps, and use it while leveling, since I usually go Disc to heal in dungeons. Which talents/stat priority would maximize my dps as a shadow priest? I'll list my current talents below, and my armory:

L15: Angelic Bulwark

L30: Angelic Father

L45: Insanity

L60: Psychic Scream

L75: Twist of fate

L90: Halo

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Ysera/Glorynymph/advanced

Edit: I realize I may have a healing piece or two, but I am still swapping healing pieces for dps pieces(I am using two healing trinkets), but since I usually end up having to heal myself as a shadow priest while questing, I tend to always gain the Intellect proc from both of my trinkets.

Edited by Nuadria

I feel ya on that.  It's hard to keep up with other DPS as Shadow in 5-mans.  I haven't done any raiding yet.  One thing I am not clear on yet is, when dot-weaving CoP, and you've done the 4th orb, cast SW:P and VT, then MB, then DP, then go into Mind Flay Insanity, do you hit MB again immediately and cast DP right away (supposed to take remaining damage ticks and fold them into the new DP ticks) or is it better to just keep Mind Flaying until Insanity wears off.

• Like 1

I feel ya on that.  It's hard to keep up with other DPS as Shadow in 5-mans.  I haven't done any raiding yet.  One thing I am not clear on yet is, when dot-weaving CoP, and you've done the 4th orb, cast SW:P and VT, then MB, then DP, then go into Mind Flay Insanity, do you hit MB again immediately and cast DP right away (supposed to take remaining damage ticks and fold them into the new DP ticks) or is it better to just keep Mind Flaying until Insanity wears off.

I am unsure @the Insanity part, I've been wondering that myself too. MY overall output increases with insanity, but if I use Surge of darkness when I am fighting against multiple targets, it makes my dps much more bursty, causing me to usually average 9-10k, but I am unsure if that one is the best.

hallo i play shadow priest now sins cata but atm im stuck use  the right rotation clarity of power 

st rotation

my stats are 
10.03 crit
13.18 hast
34.59 mastery
 14.33 multistrike
4.273 spel power 

tell me if  something is wrong  gear stats etc

what shud my dps be whit this stats i only can do in raid around 15k (no dot waeving)
can you help me to get more dps some ppl whit 630+- tick me out on dps im 643
can you tel me the best rotation and prio stats for max dps output and why i se shadow priest from method whit so high hast rating 
like 900hast 

greatz xate
Edited by xate

Here's how I'm looking at the current best skill rotation.  From the guide:

Dot weaving rotation consists of: MB(4th orb) > MS > MS > SW:P > MB(5th orb) > VT > DP > MFI > MB(3rd orb) > MFI > MFI > DP > MB > MFI > MFI > MFI > MB > MS spam

MFI was clarified to mean "one global cooldown's worth of Insanity."  It's a bit difficult to learn.

I've been using Icy Vein's recommended dotweaving, but a fellow raider with a weapon 25 ilvls below mine (gear otherwise comprable) was matching my dps and at times exceeding it, and he says Drye's dotweaving, above, is how he does it.  

I recommend spending half an hour in front of the training dummy and learning and perfecting the dotweaving, outside of the stress of actual combat.  I am currently doing that myself, actually, and to confirm this rotation has better DPS than Icy Vein's.  It's difficult to learn a new rotation while you're fighting a raid boss, because you have to occasionally move.  Learning it ahead of time allows you to fluidly move during your instant casts and mitigate DPS loss.

If you have questions, feel free to ask =)

• Like 2

I've recently switched my priest from Disc main, to shadow :)
I still to disc off spec for dungeon queues (because pre-heroic who cares right? Lol)

I haven't gotten to 100 just yet, but I'm debating which talent to take.

Everyone says that CoP is the only way to go if you want to hit high enough dps.

I was just wondering if someone could explain why Void Entropy and Auspicious Spirits don't compare as well?
I like the idea of dot weaving, but i'm really nervous that it'll take me a long time to get the rotation down so it'll actually be worth it. 

So if one of the other two choices were comparable in dps, and easier to use, then I wouldn't mind giving those a go first!

@Brutalpriest, definitely going to use that rotation you posted on a training dummy to practice. great tip!

And I'm back.  

I think I have the dotweaving down fairly well, but it came up short compared to Icy Vein's method.  I'm wondering if I'm just doing the ticks of Insanity wrong...  Let it be noted that Drye's method is much harder to actually do than Icy's, so these results are hardly conclusive.

My results with garrison training dummy with no buffs at all.  

Drye's: 12433 

Icy Vein's: 12640 

I would have added this as an edit, but I see someone else has posted =P  Regal, in answer to your question, VEnt just doesn't do enough damage to be competitive, and auspicious spirits SEEMS good, but doesn't provide the kind of damage that CoP does.  Bliz has stated that they intend to bring the other two talents up to the level of usefulness (when chosen for the correct situations of course) that CoP has now, eventually.  Speculation: this is the kind of change that bliz usually waits for a major patch to change, so we may be using CoP until 6.1.

Also, I was in the same boat.  Disc last exp, shadow this one.  Feel free to continue with Disc into Heroic dungeons (change your loot spec), they're really, really easy.