FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kulia

Unholy?

Whenever I see a DPS DK in a heroic dungeon, all I see them as are unholy. So am I right to assume unholy is the go-to DPS spec atm for DKs?

Like, how does Frost hold-up against unholy? Reason I'm asking is because I want to know for my DKs OS.

2H Frost and Unholy are fairly close at 630 ilvl, but at 665 and 685 unholy pulls further ahead. both specs play a little bit weird compared to how they used to be. 2H frosts dps is almost entirely dependent on sitting on your runes to obliterate during killing machine. Unholy is all about defiling on CD, and pooling RP to empower your ghoul as quickly as possible after the previous empowerment ends. and both specs get 25% of their total dps for the fight from soul reaper during execute phase.

Unholy used to be very hard to use competitively. You had to watch you runes like a hawk and micro manage procs. In WoD now, its just come down to dump defile and win. So the rotation is now exceedingly simple and you do a huge amount of damage. Plus, its a lot faster, you can burn you runes quickly and have them constantly recharging. So there is always some button to smash :) Whilst like previously said, frost has slowed down a bit so the popularity is kinda waning. 

I would play whatever spec you find fun :D

Now it is worth mentioning 1h frost sorta combines the two rotations into one. Your focus is more on dumping howling blast so less waiting and you get to crap defile all over the place as well. The difference between 1h and 2h at 665 is only about 600 dps (1h less than 2h). So now I sorta recommend 1h for frost. Its much faster rotation, you get better defile usage, and its fun :D  The 600 dps difference can almost be ignored. If 600 dps is keeping your raid from downing a boss there are probably more problems then just your dps. 

I'm Unholy because I like having a creepy little pet.

DW Frost intrigues me because it looks cool but I haven't found any good 630+ 1H weapons.

Overall though the UH playstyle just suits me more. I like tossing around death coils and summoning gargoyles and just feels more 'death knightish' to me.

I usually focus on blood tanking though.