FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kadill

Frost or Unholy for Gold CM runs

I've been looking into which class to get my first warlords gold CM weapons with. I have decided Death Knight would be the best option, with the most utility, but cannot be for sure which spec is the best. I read on the main site overviews that unholy is performing better than frost, but I also see on these forums that people play both, which leads me to believe that may not be true. And due to DW Frost having howling blast, I really want more information on which will perform the best.

TLDR:  Will Unholy or Frost give me the best dps for Challenge Modes, and thus give me the greatest chance and helping my group to gold times?

Can't speak for the dps perspective, but UH has 2 perks that you should consider:

1. UH innately moves faster, thanks to UH presence and you need to move fast in/out/around fire in lots of encounters

2. UH has better ranged potential (Timmy, gargoyle, death coil) in situations you need (or are forced) to stay away from the boss

On a contrary note, someone mentioned this once "Play whatever spec that you have better raid awareness with" and I took that to heart, and it does work out better.

If you are far more comfortable as Frost, you will do better for yourself and the group.  While I agree that unholy has an advantage, during time of progression whether it be challenge modes, raids, anything where anyone else is dependable on you, that is not the time to do it, even if it is the 'better' spec.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JengaKid
      This is the first time I've ever experienced the engineering battle res item, Disposable Spectrophasic Reanimator, backfire. Not only that, it also critted, essentially one shotting me. I've been using the engg bres item for more than a year now (since 8.3), so I was quite shocked to find out that I got extremely unlucky the first time it did backfire!

• By Teradan
      Hey y' all,
       I dont use IcyVeins forums often so excuse me if this is in the wrong place. I am currently looking for a new DK transmog on my 110 UH.
       RIght now Im wearing the ICC heroic set along with the green challenge skin.
      Though there are a few cool weapons Id love to use but I cant find fitting xmog: http://de.wowhead.com/item=87176/shinka-vollstreckung-der-herrschaft (heroic)

http://de.wowhead.com/item=77191/gurthalak-die-stimme-aus-den-tiefen (normal)

http://de.wowhead.com/item=113913/kagraz-brennende-klinge&bonus=0#same-model-as (mythic or heroic)
       So if anyone of you has a cool transmog idea for any of these weapons please tell me.
       I am a tauren male by the way Thanks a lot :)
    • By Adjourner
      There are two variants for this build and depending on preference: Grim Scythe (stable dps) or the Devour (burst dps)
      Briggs' Wrath + Avarice Band+ Goldwrap + Boon of the Hoarder + Frailty Aura of Frailty +Life from Death creates a giant aura (that is almost the size of the screen) to pull all the enemies towards you, to paint an easy target for devastation.

Skills:
      Grim Scythe variant:
      Grim Scythe Cursed Scythe Corpse Lance Brittle Touch (single target burst) or Corpse Explosion Close Quarters (multi-target burst) Bone Armor Dislocation Blood Rush Potency Land of the Dead (I prefer Frozen Lands to stop goblin hoards) Frailty Aura of Frailty Devour variant:
      Devour Cannibalize Corpse Explosion Close Quarters Bone Armor Dislocation Blood Rush Metabolism (Speed) or Blood Rush Potency (Survivability) Land of the Dead Shallow Graves Frailty Aura of Frailty *Note: Corpse Lance isn't recommended for this build. Also this variant is better playing with a team is because it's a double edged sword, it's easy to have the flow stop when there aren't a good supply of elites coming your way and you will feel like you're dead in the water. However it is a choice for the Grim Scythe build due to the consistent damage that grim scythe itself can deal.
      Passives:
      Stand Alone Spreading Malediction Life from Death (Survivability) or Blood is Power (Additional CD reduction) Swift Harvesting (Grim Scythe) or Blood is Power (Devour) - Until the bugged Fueled by Death is fixed  
      Items:
      Weapon: In-geom
      Off-Hand: Leger's Disdain (grim scythe build) or Lost Time (speed)
      Set: Inarius's Conviction + Inarius's Martyrdom + Inarius's Perseverance + Inarius's Reticence + Inarius's Understanding + Inarius's Will
      Necklace: Wisdom of Kalan
      Belt: Goldwrap
      Ring #1: Krysbin's Sentence
      Ring #2: Avarice Band or Briggs' Wrath (whichever rolled better)
      *Note: For your items, I suggest getting additional gold/health glob pick up area to add to the passive affects that we're wanting to boost
      Kunai Cube:
      Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang
      Avarice Band or Briggs' Wrath (whichever wasn't rolled very well with)
      Aquila Cuirass or Grasps of Essence (depending if you're using corpse explosion - also note I suggest adding Flawless Royal Diamond to some sockets to add some resistance if you're giving up the damage reduction)
      Legendary Gems:
      Bane of the Trapped
      Boon of the Hoarder
      Gogok of Swiftness (Grim Scythe) or Wreath of Lightning (Speed)
      Gems:
      Helm: Flawless Royal Diamond
      Everywhere Else: Flawless Royal Diamond (Survivability) or Flawless Royal Topaz (Damage)

Rotations:
      Grim Scythe variant:
      Keeping Bone Armor on cooldown, this is the most important thing for this build to work because of the damage reduction and damage boost you get for the set bonus Corpse Lance/Corpse Explosion is used against the champions, rares and uniques. Land of the Dead will be used when during large encounters/boss fights. Blood Rush will be used for traveling/utility (especially when In-geom is procced). Grim Scythe will be used in all other cases. Devour variant:
      Bone Armor (keeping on cooldown), to get things started. Land of the Dead to start building your momentum when your 1st elite pack shows up. Corpse Explosion  you'll be using as your main point of dps because you'll be dragging everything on the screen towards you, piling towards the center to deliver devastating splash damage. Blood Rush + Devour in sync will be used as your movement utility, which during your In-geom proccing will make Devour almost needed because of how quick you'll be moving and how quickly your health will drain. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Reference for a standard ancient only build: https://www.d3planner.com/236420675
      Reference for a perfected build: https://www.d3planner.com/376141709

• By Essix
      So I know the title sounds a bit silly, but hear me out. My problem with MfD is, quite simply, that it locks the upper body of your character into the /point animation and I hate how it looks. I hate it hate it hate it. I use MfD, then Run Through, and my rogue does this weird crouching lunge forward with her cutlass pointing up into the sky. It's so infuriating, and I can't just wait until the animation finishes because I'll lose DPS.
      So, how much does MfD outclass the other max level talents for Outlaw? I just want to know if it's even possible to take one of the other talents and have even somewhat competetive DPS.
    • By Tyrovar
      Hello, first time poster here, so forgive me if my question has an obvious answer that I'm missing.
      While I have Breath of Sindragosa and Hungering Rune Weapon up at the same time, I tend to cap on runes (three or more fully charged), even when spamming Obliterate. Using Rime procs while Hungering Rune Weapon is up seems to exacerbate the problem, because I am not using the runes that Hungering Rune Weapon is generating. With this build, Breath of Sindragosa seems to be my main source of damage, and it seems important to keep it up as long as possible. My question is, is it worth using Rime procs while Hungering Rune Weapon is active during BoS, or should I wait until HRW is over to use them? Here is my armory, if the answer is on a case-by-case basis:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/Tyrokoth/simple
      TL;DR of that is that I have the bracers + cloak as my legendaries, and neither 2- nor 4-set bonus.
      I would appreciate any assistance that you can provide. Thank you for your time.