FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Arena Mage Tier Lists

Guest Glogg

You missed Burly Rockjaw Trogg. I would assume it ends up on Average or above average.

Guest Modulo

First off, I want to say a big thank you to all the editors. This tier list has greatly helped me become a better Arena player and I still use it as a reference in case I am unsure about a pick.

That being said, I want to share my opinion on one of the Epics that differs from the tierlist. 

After playing it a few times, I`d say that Fel Reaver should be rated one or two tiers lower, especially in classes that have reliable access to card draw (Warlock, Priest) or are able to create super-late-game adventage (Paladin, Priest, Druid(to a lesser extent)). 8/8 for five mana is great, but the self-mill that is induced by this card is very severe. I found that on average, 12 library cards get milled away, which robs the aforementioned classes of their strengths. I would generally pick Shade of Naxxramas over it. 

Please feel free to comment on this subject.

The point about Fel Reaver is that the cards in your deck are mostly irrelevant, cards in hand are the important resource. However with that said, I am starting to come around to the idea that Fel Reaver should be 1 tier lower.

There's a few things that need updating in the tier list I think, and I will update it soon.

Guest Occularus

Thank you for this guide and others. Ease of use suggestion. Some of the Tiers are in alphabetical order and some are not. Could they all be in alphabetical order to help ease of use?

Guest G_master

Grim patron should be at least tier 5, it won me so many games - just fireball him. But I always used him 8+ round, otherwise it's useless - true.

Crazy good if paired with unstable ghoul/wild pyromancer.

Grim patron should be at least tier 5, it won me so many games - just fireball him. But I always used him 8+ round, otherwise it's useless - true.

You mean Fireblast, right? :P

7 Mana for a 3/3 and a 3/2. For 7 Mana you can play a Stormwind Champion, or even a War Golem. It is rated slightly higher in Mage than in other classes for this very reason, but it's still not particularly strong.

Guest Guest

Why is "Goblin Sapper" so much higher than the "blackwing something", both got the same stats and IMHO BOTH are very unlikely to trigger their effect.

Sottle, thank you for putting this guide together!  I'm still a pretty new player as I was introduced to Hearthstone in March.  As such, I have been reluctant to jump into arena as I didn't want to spend the gold before I had confidence that I could win.  So before this week I had only tried arena once using my one free run.  This week, however, I decided to give it a try using your spreadsheet as a guide.  I chose the Mage, and picked my cards according to your tiers (with some variation due to mana cost and the cards I already had).  The end result was that I won 8 games, including the first 6 games that I played! Not bad considering my inexperience, don't you think?  Thanks again for your work on these.  I plan to continue to use them to help me understand card value.  I don't expect to do that well every time, but hopefully I can continue to have success.

• Like 1

Guest JediAmerican

I was wondering why you have Grim Patron in the below average tier.  Is it because of the mana cost?  I ask because I have found that the Grim and hero power are so OP.  Especially in the arenas.  If you can get it going, the only thing to really clear him out is Flamestrike. Consecration loses value immediately. Plus it makes the opponent waste mana and turns to get him out of there.  Undervalued imo but I'm curious about your logic with your tier placement.

I was wondering why you have Grim Patron in the below average tier.  Is it because of the mana cost?  I ask because I have found that the Grim and hero power are so OP.  Especially in the arenas.  If you can get it going, the only thing to really clear him out is Flamestrike. Consecration loses value immediately. Plus it makes the opponent waste mana and turns to get him out of there.  Undervalued imo but I'm curious about your logic with your tier placement.

The same question has been answered here:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/8261-mage-arena-spreadsheet-gvg/#entry108372

Guest Guest

Why is polymorph boar rated to high in the arena sheet,

and described as "subpar" and less interesting than polymorph in the card description ?

Because the card descriptions were mostly done on theory, then I got to play with the card in Arena and it turned out to be better than I expected, I will update the card description.