FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Arena Mage Tier Lists

Guest Slar

Just tried this guide, sucked 1-3. I beleve it's main disadvantage is that it forces you to pick minions instead of spells, look at top tiers, lots of minions there. I really felt that i needed more spells at the arena. 

Guest Slar

The top two tiers contain 5 spells, what Spells are you suggesting should be higher?

Well, first, Cone of Cold should be at least 1 tier higher, same with the Frost Nova, both helped me a few times in the arena. It is nice to freeze opponent's minions couple times in a row while you do all the damage to the hero and also it helps to wait for a removal like Flame Strike to come.

The problem is that it is arena, i got only 1 spell from those 2 tiers and lots of minions. I decided to stick to the guide when there was Cone of Cold, as i was trying it out. Well, anyway, 1 time doesn't say anything, will try it couple more times later. 

The top two tiers contain 5 spells, what Spells are you suggesting should be higher?

Well, first, Cone of Cold should be at least 1 tier higher, same with the Frost Nova, both helped me a few times in the arena. It is nice to freeze opponent's minions couple times in a row while you do all the damage to the hero and also it helps to wait for a removal like Flame Strike to come.

The problem is that it is arena, i got only 1 spell from those 2 tiers and lots of minions. I decided to stick to the guide when there was Cone of Cold, as i was trying it out. Well, anyway, 1 time doesn't say anything, will try it couple more times later. 

Frost Nova doesn't do basically anything unless you already have a board or a Ice Lance (which is a terrible pick). This makes it rather situational card. You want cards that can help you when you are ahead and this is not one of those cards. Same with Cone of Cold, it doesn't do enough damage and costs way too much.

Yeah like you said their utility basically comes down to stalling for a bigger AoE, that's not enough to justify the cards in their own right, they can be situationally better than rated if you have a deck with multiple Flamestrikes though.

The Warhorse Trainer is missing in the mage rankings.

Warhorse Trainer is a paladin class card. It is supposed to be missing.

• Like 1

Unstable Portal should be in the above average category. In arena I got malygos, which cleared my opponent's board and allowed me to push for lethal - blizzard, frostbolt, and fireball. 

Unstable Portal should be in the above average category. In arena I got malygos, which cleared my opponent's board and allowed me to push for lethal - blizzard, frostbolt, and fireball. 

Well, out of 3 Portals in the last run, I got Captain's Parrot, Wisp and Crocolisk. This is the reason why Portal isn't in the "Above Average" category.

• Like 1

1 possible outcome of a card doesn't really effect its overall rating. That's like arguing that one time you topdecked an Ironforge Rifleman and it won you the game, so we should raise that card too. 

Guest uwot

Why is nerubian egg considered average and not bad? How is mage supposed to proc it? Count on abusive sergeants / defenders or ping two times.. No thanks...

Why is nerubian egg considered average and not bad? How is mage supposed to proc it? Count on abusive sergeants / defenders or ping two times.. No thanks...

It can be killed by enemy AoEs as well. There are also many more cards that aren't used in constructed. For example Dark Iron Dwarf, Sparring Partner or Sunfury Protector.

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Where is Kabal Courier? Not with the rares 

It is in the tier 5 of rares, right below Vaporize. I recommend using Ctrl-F if you are on your computer to find the cards quicker.

Guest NarWil

Can you please explain how River Crocolisk could reasonably be in a lower tier than Bloodsail Raider? Is being a beast that much more valuable than being a pirate?

On 23. 1. 2017 at 9:38 AM, Guest NarWil said:

Can you please explain how River Crocolisk could reasonably be in a lower tier than Bloodsail Raider? Is being a beast that much more valuable than being a pirate?

This is an oversight from our side. We will be fixing it shortly. Thanks for pointing it out.

The only time River Crocolisk is better is when you have drafted Fossilized Devilsaur or The Curator.

Edit: It has been just fixed. Bloodsail Raider was moved to tier 5 for Hunter, Mage, Priest and Warlock.

2 hours ago, TheOriginalTrinity said:

So in the begginer guide you say  Booty Bay Bodyguard is not a good card and then you list Evil Heckler as a Tier2 what is wrong here?

The one extra mana is incredibly significant. If you think about the statline of commonly drafted 5-drops, it's usually 4/6. So, you play a 5/4 against a 4/6, which is unacceptable. Now, you play Evil Heckler, so your opponent responds with a 4--drop as well. The 4-drops are 4/4, 5/4 or 4/5 most of the time, which means you are not losing a card and tempo.

• Like 1